Ordination for women in mainland Europe

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dhamma Chameleon

Ordination for women in mainland Europe

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Does anyone here have any information about or experience of the path to becoming a Buddhist nun in mainland Europe? I can find information for Plum village, but there don't seem to be many other options.
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Ordination for women in mainland Europe

Post by DNS »

Dhamma Chameleon

Thank you :namaste:
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Dhamma Chameleon,

There are various places in Europe with Bhikkhunis, for example Tilorien in Belgium:
http://tilorien.org/en/about-us/monastics/
Some are active on https://discourse.suttacentral.net/

Phalañānī Bhikkhuni is in Germany somewhere, I believe. https://www.facebook.com/phalanyani/about_overview

And you might find something through this page: https://www.facebook.com/BhikkhunisBhikkhunis

:heart:
Mike
Dhamma Chameleon

Thanks Mike.

It looks like only Plum Village is offering ordination at the moment, whilst the other places can only be visited. I've contacted PV and will spend a few weeks there when it re-opens (it's Corona-closed). I wasn't aware of Tilorien, I'll put it on my to-visit list as it seems a good place to practice, and not so far from me.
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Please be aware of the difficulties for women ordaining and be prepared for them.

For men there are a large large amount of temples and support after becoming a Monastic. For women there are far fewer.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.
Dhamma Chameleon

Chanh Dao wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 am Please be aware of the difficulties for women ordaining and be prepared for them.

For men there are a large large amount of temples and support after becoming a Monastic. For women there are far fewer.

What difficulties are you referring to, Chanh Dao? Do you mean Theravada specifically? I'm not keen on Theravada ordination, the right type of sangha is more important to me than the lineage. This is why I am looking at Plum Village- I like their approach to community, feel great affinity with Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings and know he is Theravada-friendly.

And thank you. I feel very peaceful with this decision. Like I can finally stop pretending at lay life. It's just a matter of when, I think another year to wrap everything up and prepare well.
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pm
Chanh Dao wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:02 am Please be aware of the difficulties for women ordaining and be prepared for them.

What difficulties are you referring to, Chanh Dao? Do you mean Theravada specifically? I'm not keen on Theravada ordination, the right type of sangha is more important to me than the lineage. This is why I am looking at Plum Village- I like their approach to community, feel great affinity with Thich Nhat Hanh's teachings and know he is Theravada-friendly.

And thank you. I feel very peaceful with this decision. Like I can finally stop pretending at lay life. It's just a matter of when, I think another year to wrap everything up and prepare well.

In Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism there is simply way way less support and institutions supporting women to ordain and to stay ordained.

For example. For me as a Theravada monastic I could almost without plan or worry, travel and stay at almost countless Monastaries.

For a female monastic that would be nigh impossible.

So being mindful of this I would really advise to you find an institution that can support you long term if you wish to ordain.
Dhamma Chameleon

Chanh Dao wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:40 am In Theravada and Mahayana Buddhism there is simply way way less support and institutions supporting women to ordain and to stay ordained.

For example. For me as a Theravada monastic I could almost without plan or worry, travel and stay at almost countless Monastaries.

For a female monastic that would be nigh impossible.

So being mindful of this I would really advise to you find an institution that can support you long term if you wish to ordain.
Thank you. I am indeed looking for a sangha to serve and dedicate the rest of my life to. My travel bug is well and truly sated. Another possibility I find attractive is to join a monastic sangha permanently as a lay supporter and worker. I did this in Thailand for some time, but there wasn't much of a community - which is now of utmost importance to me. It's also difficult visa-wise, there. It's a fall-back option to explore as I still have connections in several retreat centres there. But I'd prefer to stay in Europe.

What else do you advise me to consider? I've given myself a year to reflect. My situation is that I find living in a non-monastic setting lonely, because non-dhammic activities, topics and relationships don't interest me any more. There is pressure on me to not be so 'boring', whilst I'm happiest being 'boring'! However I am very used to self-guided study, practice and discipline so in many ways not temperamentally suited to robes. May I be blessed with an inbetween solution!