I’m done with laylife.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
thepea

I’m done with laylife.

Post by thepea »

Where is a good place to ordain currently?
confusedlayman

Re: I’m done with laylife.

Post by confusedlayman »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:35 pm Where is a good place to ordain currently?
Pls ordain soon.. u took a correct decision as I am also will ordain sooner or later.. but the ordain in nearby monestry as if u foreign countries u need to get visa and other documents.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

Check out the Ordination and Monastic life section of the forum, there's a bunch of different posts. Also, where do you live? The general advice is to spend some time, weeks to months, at a monastery so you can see if it's a good fit.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38
thepea

Post by thepea »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm
thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:35 pm Where is a good place to ordain currently?
Pls ordain soon.. u took a correct decision as I am also will ordain sooner or later.. but the ordain in nearby monestry as if u foreign countries u need to get visa and other documents.
Yes, I want to ordain now, where can I do this. I live in Canada. Am willing to travel. I have no debt. I have a family, I will give them everything. Where can I do this now.
thepea

Post by thepea »

TamHanhHi wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:58 pm Check out the Ordination and Monastic life section of the forum, there's a bunch of different posts. Also, where do you live? The general advice is to spend some time, weeks to months, at a monastery so you can see if it's a good fit.
That sounds like solid advice I will do that. I’m ready to leave and begin this journey where can I go. I’m in Canada.
In southern Ontario. Have wheels can drive. Have $$$ for flights. No criminal record. Passport.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Forest Sangha

International Monasteries in the Theravada Buddhist Tradition of Ajahn Chah

https://forestsangha.org/

Tisarana

Tisarana is located in Eastern Canada, approximately one-and-a-half hours south-west of Ottawa. It is situated on 108 acres of farm land, forest, and wetland. Monastery guests are are housed in a three story brick house. Adjoining the house is the community’s meditation hall. In the field adjacent to the house and meditation hall, there is a 3000 square foot structure known as the 'bhikkhu vihara', which provides facilities for monastics. It contains washrooms, laundry facilities, an office, a bowl washing room, and a large library/sangha meeting place. It also has a large room for the abbot and three spare rooms. The property also contains an exterior lay office, a workshop, and large barn, which is used for storage. There are eight kutis (cabins) spread throughout the forest, which are mostly used by monastics and occasionally long-term lay residents.

https://forestsangha.org/about/history/this-community

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:02 pmThat sounds like solid advice I will do that. I’m ready to leave and begin this journey where can I go. I’m in Canada.
In southern Ontario. Have wheels can drive. Have $$$ for flights. No criminal record. Passport.
I ask about location/nationality because visa issues tend to complicate things. Plus there's the whole global pandemic right now. But it might help to make a list of potential places when things open up again.

There's Tisarana and Arrow River in Ontario, though on opposite sides of the province. Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu also resides at Sirimangalo in Ontario, but I'm not sure if they're accepting ordinations—never hurts to visit and ask though.

In the U.S. there's quite a few places. Note, I believe the visa situation is somewhat complicated here. I know many Canadian monastics who had to go back and forth. Off the top of my head:

Metta Forest Monastery
Abahaygiri
Forest Dhamma Monastery
Temple Forest Monastery
Bhavana Society
Empty Cloud Monastery

I assumed you were looking for Western Theravada monasteries, but as you can imagine there are even more when you include Mahayana and Theravada monasteries catering to Asian populations.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm ... I am also will ordain sooner or later.. .
Considering your signature ... in what tradition will you ordain?
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Have you tried 8 precepts before ? That is a good start before entering monasticism .
Or go for novice for 1 to 3 years for adaptation to the monk life . Wishing you all the best .
You always gain by giving
thepea

Post by thepea »

TamHanhHi wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:18 pm
thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:02 pmThat sounds like solid advice I will do that. I’m ready to leave and begin this journey where can I go. I’m in Canada.
I ask about location/nationality because visa issues tend to complicate things. Plus there's the whole global pandemic right now. But it might help to make a list of potential places when things open up again.

There's Tisarana and Arrow River in Ontario, though on opposite sides of the province. Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu also resides at Sirimangalo in Ontario, but I'm not sure if they're accepting ordinations—never hurts to visit and ask though.

In the U.S. there's quite a few places. Note, I believe the visa situation is somewhat complicated here. I know many Canadian monastics who had to go back and forth. Off the top of my head:

Metta Forest Monastery
Abahaygiri
Forest Dhamma Monastery
Temple Forest Monastery
Bhavana Society
Empty Cloud Monastery

I assumed you were looking for Western Theravada monasteries, but as you can imagine there are even more when you include Mahayana and Theravada monasteries catering to Asian populations.
They are all closed, not accepting.covid-19
Couldn’t I isolate on arrival for two weeks?
thepea

Post by thepea »

SteRo wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:26 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:44 pm ... I am also will ordain sooner or later.. .
Theravada.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:34 pm
Theravada.
Double account is not allowed.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
thepea

Post by thepea »

How can the dhamma be closed on the planet?
Has this ever happened before?
thepea

Post by thepea »

SteRo wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:36 pm
thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Theravada.
Double account is not allowed.
What do you mean double account?
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

thepea wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:37 pm How can the dhamma be closed on the planet?
Has this ever happened before?
The Dhamma is open, but monasteries are closed. There's no rush, though. Do your best to practice now in whatever conditions you're in, then when things re-open you'll be ready to go.
sentinel wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:28 pmHave you tried 8 precepts before ? That is a good start before entering monasticism .
Or go for novice for 1 to 3 years for adaptation to the monk life . Wishing you all the best .
Also good to point out that most Western monasteries require this, anyway. Spending time there for a while as a layperson following the eight precepts, then time as a novice, then becoming fully ordained.