I’m done with laylife.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: I’m done with laylife.

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Ordain my friend. If my country had a monastery which ordains, I would have already ordained.

If any doubt about ordination is within you, read Samaññaphala Sutta. It's a very long sutta but it's impossible not to be encouraged to go forth by it.

"A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathagata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair and beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?'
Without resistance in all four directions,
content with whatever you get,
enduring troubles with no dismay,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
But if they hit you with a stick...?"
"...I will think, 'These people are very civilized, in that they don't hit me with a knife.'..."
"But if they hit you with a knife...?"
"...I will think, 'These people are very civilized, in that they don't take my life with a sharp knife.'..."
SN35.88
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

thepea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:27 pm
mikenz66 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:00 am
thepea wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:08 pm I don’t really know what is the norm or what would be insulting. I wouldn’t feel right about taking an action that I didn’t understand just for the purpose of fitting in.
A serious question: Have you spent time at any monasteries? From what you are saying you could have difficulty fitting in. It seems to me that the purpose of monasteries is to train people, which obviously doesn't suit everyone. From what you've said in the thread you might be better to work out a way to just live alone, or with some like-minded people and continue with your current practice.

:heart:
Mike
Yes, the head monastic use to tell me not to do certain things that the other members would do. He would say they were not important for me to follow.
To give some context, it was a Sri lanken temple and they had a lot of cultural formalities.
We got along fine, and I got along with all the monks well.
We were all meditators and would discuss practice. Most of the others did not care to meditate but liked to partake in the other aspects which I was told were not important.
To be honest you can’t go live alone unsupported. You need food, money, rent, these things are for laypersons, if you ordain you are to gain freedom from this so you can deepen your practice.
I like the goenka, it works for me, but everything is closed, and there is no sign of reopening.
OK, thanks for the background. Have you discussed your thoughts about ordination with that head monastic? He may have some good advice, since he knows you and your circumstances.

:heart:
Mike
thepea

Post by thepea »

Everything is closed.
binocular

Post by binocular »

thepea wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:04 pmThe women have argued for additional rights, what is wrong with the non-sick arguing for their rights.
It's not about rights, it's about privileges.
Do you know the difference between the two?
I’m not sick, why are we treating everyone as the potential to kill one another.
Lol. You might want to rethink this one.
The old and weak need to isolate and take precautions the healthy must work to make sure we maintain survival. This pandemic is ridiculous and the work of Mara. It needs to be put to an end.
Then put it to an end! What's stopping you? Can you tell?

thepea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:28 pmAlso , can you put this thread back in the general discussion area please, I don’t see the personal experience aspect of this.
You titled the thread "I’m done with laylife", but you don't see the personal experience aspect of it??
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
thepea

Post by thepea »

binocular wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:39 pm
thepea wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:04 pmThe women have argued for additional rights, what is wrong with the non-sick arguing for their rights.
It's not about rights, it's about privileges.
Do you know the difference between the two?
I’m not sick, why are we treating everyone as the potential to kill one another.
Lol. You might want to rethink this one.
The old and weak need to isolate and take precautions the healthy must work to make sure we maintain survival. This pandemic is ridiculous and the work of Mara. It needs to be put to an end.
Then put it to an end! What's stopping you? Can you tell?

thepea wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:28 pmAlso , can you put this thread back in the general discussion area please, I don’t see the personal experience aspect of this.
You titled the thread "I’m done with laylife", but you don't see the personal experience aspect of it??
Yes, I understand privelage vs birthright. Nuns have banded together and sought out equitable treatment. Obviously they were not pleased with things as they were, and I feel the changes are for the better, and would like to see complete equity regardless of sex.
Ok so you are suggesting sick mentally. Haha.
But my point is sound, why on earth are we isolating the healthy to protect the weak? It’s backwards. Isolate the weak and let the strong keep building and working productively so we have things to care for all which include the weak. Why only a handful of essential workers burdened with the task of caring for the planet?
It’s a thread about the inability to ordain, it has to do with all people who care to ordain, it’s not about my experience. It’s a factual discussion involving a set of circumstances occurring globally. It belongs in general discussion or ordination and monastic life. I didn’t place it there originally as there is no ordination or monastic life opportunities for anyone choosing to go forth.
Is this the future of how we handle the flu each year? Shut the planet down and force the essential slaves to keep humanity fed?
binocular

Post by binocular »

I'll rephrase:

Nobody owes it to you to ordain you.

One doesn't have the right to demand ordination. Not in a time of a pandemic, and not ever.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

thepea wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm Yes, I understand privelage vs birthright. Nuns have banded together and sought out equitable treatment. Obviously they were not pleased with things as they were, and I feel the changes are for the better, and would like to see complete equity regardless of sex.
But my point is sound, why on earth are we isolating the healthy to protect the weak? It’s backwards. Isolate the weak and let the strong keep building and working productively so we have things to care for all which include the weak. Why only a handful of essential workers burdened with the task of caring for the planet?
It’s a thread about the inability to ordain, it has to do with all people who care to ordain, it’s not about my experience. It’s a factual discussion involving a set of circumstances occurring globally. It belongs in general discussion or ordination and monastic life. I didn’t place it there originally as there is no ordination or monastic life opportunities for anyone choosing to go forth.
Is this the future of how we handle the flu each year? Shut the planet down and force the essential slaves to keep humanity fed?
Please ordain, Society's development to the better is obstructed if people like you don't ordain.
Exhaling अ and inhaling धीः amounts to བྷྲཱུཾ་བི་ཤྭ་བི་ཤུད་དྷེ
thepea

Post by thepea »

binocular wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:47 pm I'll rephrase:

Nobody owes it to you to ordain you.

One doesn't have the right to demand ordination. Not in a time of a pandemic, and not ever.
Yes, I understand this.
So a monastic cannot drop robes during a pandemic and leave the group? Is this correct? Otherwise it seems hypocritical.
Understanding travel limitations, but if one could get to a monastery why couldn’t they isolate for the prescribed time and then join the group?
It’s a living community, like quakers, but I don’t think restrictions are placed on quakers like monastics.
It’s not a family, if a Quaker had left the village he could return isolate and carry on. Why is a monastery different?
thepea

Post by thepea »

SteRo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 pm
thepea wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm Yes, I understand privelage vs birthright. Nuns have banded together and sought out equitable treatment. Obviously they were not pleased with things as they were, and I feel the changes are for the better, and would like to see complete equity regardless of sex.
Please ordain, Society's development to the better is obstructed if people like you don't ordain.
Please expand.
Chanh Dao

Post by Chanh Dao »

thepea wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:55 pm
SteRo wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:29 pm
Please expand.

Hello. I can support you to ordain. However I will need to interview you first and get a better idea of where your mind is at and also your experience level. Please contact me in private message we can discuss this further.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Has any centres reopened?
In Canada cases are way down, but mandatory masking indoors has been implemented in cities and this is expanding into more and more cities and locations.

I’m wondering how in person indoor meditation will be able to return if these masking policies become our new normal?

As masking grows in popularity how are monastics doing group meditations in other areas?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

thepea wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:01 am Has any centres reopened?
In Canada cases are way down, but mandatory masking indoors has been implemented in cities and this is expanding into more and more cities and locations.

I’m wondering how in person indoor meditation will be able to return if these masking policies become our new normal?

As masking grows in popularity how are monastics doing group meditations in other areas?
Amaravati and Cittaviveka are still closed.
Saññāvirattassa na santi ganthā,
Paññāvimuttassa na santi mohā;
Saññañca diṭṭhiñca ye aggahesuṃ,
Te ghaṭṭayantā vicaranti loke”ti.

“For one detached from perception, there exist no ties,
for one by wisdom freed, no delusions are there,
but those who have grasped perceptions and views,
they wander the world stirring up strife."

Māgaṇḍiya Sutta
SDC

Post by SDC »

Sri Lanka about to open. Looks like you're in luck:https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?p=567576#p567576
thepea

Post by thepea »

SDC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:58 am
Sri Lanka about to open. Looks like you're in luck:https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?p=567576#p567576
Sri Lanka is not in alignment with practice.
Burma perhaps as option.
Canada says we can travel but passport offices closed cannot renew.
Like saying your free to travel but the price is $50million for a plane ticket.
Kinda not free anymore.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Goenka centres closed worldwide and told in Canada to look at next year earliest.