Sri Lanka|Thailand|Myanmar|Malaysia: lastest news on opening to foreigners

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
BKh

Re: Sri Lanka|Thailand|Myanmar|Malaysia: lastest news on opening to foreigners

Post by BKh »

I also meant to remind folks to absolutely check in with the monasteries you are thinking of visiting. They may have their own policies. They may also have some inside info since they probably have contacts at the immigration office.
ReadingFaithfully.org Daily Practice with the Suttas | BuddhaRupa Images of the Buddha across time and space
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Thailand 🇹🇭
13/12/2020
Tourists from everywhere are now welcome to visit Thailand, irrespective of their countries’ COVID-19 situation, under a newly amended Special Tourist Visa (STV) long-stay programme.
However, these travellers still need to comply with Thailand’s 14-day mandatory quarantine, deputy government spokeswoman Rachada Dhnadirek said yesterday (Dec 8).

The more liberal policy represents a government U-turn and is designed to help the ailing tourism industry.
https://www.thephuketnews.com/thailand- ... -78251.php

Great news!!!
I thought it would delay to open.
Strongly considering ordaining in Thailand now. :embarassed:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

tamdrin wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:11 am I've been living in Chiang Mai, Thailand for the last 6 years. If I can be of any assistance to anyone wondering about the region please drop me a line!
Hello Mr tamdrin.
Since October I have been resolving to ordain in Thailand. I even learnt some Thai but I'm still stuck in the alphabet.
Could you tell me how are monasteries working in Thailand currently? Are they open to foreigners? Did the pandemics make kutis become occupied by Thais needing shelter or something? Please let me know.

With love,
Rhinoceroshorn
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

It's funny to play making mnemonics with the Thai alphabet, though. :lol:

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

FYI, the visa policy in Thailand keeps being the same as that before the pandemics (SEE THE NEXT POSTS FOR MORE DETAILS)

Source:
https://voesimples.com.br/novidades-noticias/brasileiros-podem-viajar-novamente-para-a-tailandia-acompanhe-os-requisitos/ wrote:Boa notícia: A Tailândia voltou a receber turistas do mundo inteiro, inclusive os brasileiros! A comunicação oficial foi realizada ontem, 13 de dezembro. Pondo fim às especulações sobre manter as fronteiras fechadas até 2021. A isenção de 90 dias de visto de turismo para brasileiros continua, embora outras exigências em tempos de Covid-19 estejam em prática, como quarentena obrigatória e exame PCR. Confira abaixo todos os requisitos para viajar para a Tailândia.
Translation:
Good news: Thailand has once again received tourists from all over the world, including Brazilians! The official communication took place yesterday, December 13. Ending speculation about keeping borders closed until 2021. The 90-day tourist visa exemption for Brazilians continues, although other requirements in Covid-19 times are in place, such as mandatory quarantine and PCR exam. Check below all the requirements for traveling to Thailand.
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

A more reliable site:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... to-cabinet
30-day exemption to 45 wrote:The Interior Ministry will seek cabinet approval for a proposal to extend visa exemption for foreign tourists from 56 countries from 30 to 45 days in a bid to attract more tourist arrivals to revive the economy battered by Covid-19.
first group wrote:It was agreed at the meeting that visa exemptions will be granted to foreign tourists from three groups of countries. The first group comprises 56 countries and territories which are allowed under a visa exemption scheme to stay for 30 days, he said.
second group wrote:The second group comprises six countries and territories which have bilateral agreements with Thailand to stay for no more 30 days. They are Hong Kong🇭🇰, Laos🇱🇦, Macau🇲🇴, Mongolia🇲🇳, Russia🇷🇺 and Vietnam🇻🇳.
third group wrote:The third group comprises four countries -- Argentina🇦🇷, Brazil🇧🇷, Chile🇨🇱, and Peru🇵🇪 -- which have bilateral agreements with Thailand and are allowed to stay for no more than 90 days.
However, visa exemptions will still not be granted to visitors from Myanmar🇲🇲 and Cambodia🇰🇭, even though they have bilateral agreements with Thailand, Mr Tanee said.
Since the 14-day-quarantine requirement remains in place, ⛈️visa on arrival will be suspended until Dec 30, ⛈️he said.
:anjali:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
ricosadao

Post by ricosadao »

Have you been to Thailand before R.H?

There are 10s of 1000s temples here..easy to become a monk (if you are thai)

Unless you want to ordain in a couple of farang-friendly wats, it will be difficult

Although great things can be achieved with a donation to the wat...lol

I would recommend to dive in to learning thai asap once here

Google translate is a great help these days (as a learning tool and also to communicate with thais)

Keep in mind that most monks here are of a low educational background.

Also.. enlightenment is not what's in most monks' intentions

Anyways...give it a go..you have nothing to lose but your chains.

PM me if u need any specific info

I'm not a monk btw
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm Have you been to Thailand before R.H?
Hello!
I have never gone abroad, actually.
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm There are 10s of 1000s temples here..easy to become a monk (if you are thai)
Unless you want to ordain in a couple of farang-friendly wats, it will be difficult
Yes, unfortunately. I have a monastery in mind which is the one where I want to ordain, though since I don't know if they are available, I'll consider others in this list as a plan B.
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm Although great things can be achieved with a donation to the wat...lol
:o
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm I would recommend to dive in to learning thai asap once here
This is a great advice. I'm willing to learn it!
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm Keep in mind that most monks here are of a low educational background.
I don't think my educational background must be much better than theirs. :lol:
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm Also.. enlightenment is not what's in most monks' intentions
You mean ending dukkha? If so, this is in my mind and one of the main reasons why I want to ordain.
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm Anyways...give it a go..you have nothing to lose but your chains.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your post.
ricosadao wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 pm PM me if u need any specific info
Thank you! I also appreciate your willingness to help!!

:anjali:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Myanmar 🇲🇲
21/12/2020
Status: Myanmar's Yangon airport to keep closed to international flights till yearend

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-11/30/c_139553419.htm wrote:Myanmar's authorities announced on Monday further extension of the restriction for operating international air services at the Yangon International Airport until Dec. 31.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Kay

Post by Kay »

Hi,

Thank you for this thread. Funny that in several past decades there has been no travel restrictions, and now when the most important decision of ones life is about to take place, travel restrictions appear. No wonder Buddha encouraged a sense of urgency, since conditions are prone to change.

Said this, I am currently looking for a way to get into Sri Lanka. Na Uyana has been on my mind, as well as Island Hermitage.

I believe it is important to choose a correct place to ordain. Don't you think so?

Also, where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Regards from Spain,
Kay
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Kay wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:36 pm Hi,

Thank you for this thread. Funny that in several past decades there has been no travel restrictions, and now when the most important decision of ones life is about to take place, travel restrictions appear. No wonder Buddha encouraged a sense of urgency, since conditions are prone to change.

Said this, I am currently looking for a way to get into Sri Lanka. Na Uyana has been on my mind, as well as Island Hermitage.

I believe it is important to choose a correct place to ordain. Don't you think so?

Also, where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Regards from Spain,
Kay
Hello. I'm glad it helps!

Since April I have been wanting to ordain. But I'm glad I didn't do it before. Now I think I have the right mindset to ordain and some knowledge to lead my practice, things which I scarcely had from my current POV.

I see Na Uyana/Sri Lanka as plan B if everything goes wrong in Thailand. Malaysia is the plan C. Myanmar is my plan Z. :sage:

I think so. Otherwise it'll be difficult to settle down!

Eu sou do Brasil! Yo soy de Brasil. :hello: :tongue:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
dpcalder

Post by dpcalder »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:50 am Sri Lanka 🇱🇰
30/08/2020
Sri Lanka mulls over opening airports in September.
The government is considering the possibility of reopening the airport closed off due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ministry of Tourism said discussions on the matter are being carried out with relevant authorities.

The focus fell on reopening the airport by next month as Sri Lankans stranded in foreign countries following the virus outbreak continue to be repatriated despite the current global lockdown.
http://www.wedivistara.com/23294/govt-m ... ng-airport

May Lanka open. I can't bear lay life anymore. :cry:
I feel the same way. Lay life for me is not life at all. If I didn't have the dhamma I would jump into traffic without hesitation.