Sri Lanka|Thailand|Myanmar|Malaysia: lastest news on opening to foreigners

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rhinoceroshorn

Sri Lanka|Thailand|Myanmar|Malaysia: lastest news on opening to foreigners

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Hello friends.
For those who are interested in ordination in one of those countries, let's gather here news on their current border status, airport reopening, etc.
The two countries I'm interested in are Sri Lanka and Malaysia. I'd love to ordain either in Na Uyana (SL) or Sāsanārakkha (MLY). I contacted both monasteries and they are very receptive. :twothumbsup:

Here are their current status:

Sri Lanka 🇱🇰
29/08/20
Source: https://menafn.com/1100702944/Sri-Lanka ... n-airports
The Government is currently working on measures to reopen airports in Sri Lanka at the earliest opportunity, Cabinet Spokesman Minister Keheliya Rambukwella said.

Minister Rambukwella told the weekly post cabinet media briefing held today that efforts to reopen the airports are being delayed due to daily developments with regard to the coronavirus pandemic.

Thailand 🇹🇭
29/08/20
Status: closed but they seek to reopen Phuket to foreign visitors on October 1.
Source: https://www.eturbonews.com/581041/thail ... october-1/
Thailand has announced that it will open Phuket to overseas tourists from October 1, but foreigners will have to comply with a mandatory two-week quarantine.

According to the reports, the head of the National Tourism Administration of Thailand, Yutasak Supasorn, indicated that the opening of the island is a rehearsal for the opening of the entire country. But the rules for entering the kingdom will remain very strict.
Map of Thailand highlighting Phuket Province

Myanmar 🇲🇲
29/08/2020
Source: https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2020/08/ ... e-october/
Myanmar’s aviation authorities confirmed recently, the ban on international commercial flights to and from Myanmar would extend to 31 August, but high ranking tourism officials now say international commercial flights might not resume until October.

Malaysia 🇲🇾
29/08/2020
Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/ ... ill-dec-31
Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has announced that the recovery movement control order (MCO) to stem the Covid-19 pandemic will be extended to Dec 31.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Dhamma Chameleon

Re: Sri Lanka|Thailand|Myanmar|Malaysia: lastest news on opening to foreigners

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Great, thanks. Looks hopeful. Good news on the monasteries.

I'm flying to Thailand end of January '21 for four weeks. I hope by then they've moved on from quarantine...
smashpotato

Post by smashpotato »

Oh that is a shame about Malaysia. I thought you had finalised your plans to go there.

I also think that even when these countries do open their borders, there will possibly be a lot of measures put in place that make ordination not possible, such as only being able to stay at certain designated hotels, having to have covid tests while there, having to quarantine on arrival, huge expenses to cover medical in case covid is contracted, etc.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Sri Lanka 🇱🇰
30/08/2020
Sri Lanka mulls over opening airports in September.
The government is considering the possibility of reopening the airport closed off due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Ministry of Tourism said discussions on the matter are being carried out with relevant authorities.

The focus fell on reopening the airport by next month as Sri Lankans stranded in foreign countries following the virus outbreak continue to be repatriated despite the current global lockdown.
http://www.wedivistara.com/23294/govt-m ... ng-airport

May Lanka open. I can't bear lay life anymore. :cry:
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:17 am Great, thanks. Looks hopeful. Good news on the monasteries.

I'm flying to Thailand end of January '21 for four weeks. I hope by then they've moved on from quarantine...
Hello. If Thailand reopens first I will ordain there. :thumbsup:
Do you have any monastery in mind?
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Dhamma Chameleon

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:53 am
I want to do a retreat with Anthony Markwell on Koh Phangan, then visit some dhamma friends in Dipabhavan (Samui) and Suan Mokkh. Ordination is not an option for me (female) but I do want to talk about possibilities for becoming a long term (permanent) live-in lay supporter.

Where do you hope to go?
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:20 am
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:53 am
I want to do a retreat with Anthony Markwell on Koh Phangan, then visit some dhamma friends in Dipabhavan (Samui) and Suan Mokkh. Ordination is not an option for me (female) but I do want to talk about possibilities for becoming a long term (permanent) live-in lay supporter.

Where do you hope to go?
This is wonderful. I hope you succeed, my friend. :toast:

I don't know any monastery in Thailand. I have been resolving to ordain in Sri Lanka so I never really thought about monasteries in other countries (except Malaysia but I'm not caring about it anymore since they will not reopen this year). Also, if I'm not mistaken, only few monasteries there have their website in English, what makes communication hard.
If you know some forest monastery in Thailand, please tell me.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
smashpotato

Post by smashpotato »

Here are a few of links which describe places to ordain in Thailand, if you have not already come across these:

http://www.kammatthana.com/a_guide_to_b ... eries_.htm

https://retreat-infos.de/Download/RFAE2014.pdf

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... am#p352526
Dhamma Chameleon

smashpotato wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:48 am Here are a few of links which describe places to ordain in Thailand, if you have not already come across these:

http://www.kammatthana.com/a_guide_to_b ... eries_.htm

https://retreat-infos.de/Download/RFAE2014.pdf

https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... am#p352526
I only know Suan Mokkh, which doesn't officially ordain westerners anymore.

best of luck to you, Rhinoceroshorn!
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Thanks!!! :group:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Dhamma Chameleon

By the way, about the wats that officially don't ordain westerners. If you go to a monastery, stay there as a lay person, help out and show diligence... Get to know them, let them get to know you... If you like it there and want to ordain, I believe there are possibilities.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

During last two or so months, Covid-19 seemed receding from Myanmar, with gradual reopening of the closures/restrictions.

However, Within last two weeks, around mid and late August, there's a second wave of cases in Myanmar, with no new death reported yet, fortunately.

Returning to Old-normal situations seems quite far away, again.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

smashpotato wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:23 am Oh that is a shame about Malaysia. I thought you had finalised your plans to go there.

I also think that even when these countries do open their borders, there will possibly be a lot of measures put in place that make ordination not possible, such as only being able to stay at certain designated hotels, having to have covid tests while there, having to quarantine on arrival, huge expenses to cover medical in case covid is contracted, etc.
Omg, I had not seen your post. I'm sorry.

Indeed, I was very excited about going to Malaysia. They were to open on Sept 1th. :cry:

It would be very sad if they do that.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:17 pm By the way, about the wats that officially don't ordain westerners. If you go to a monastery, stay there as a lay person, help out and show diligence... Get to know them, let them get to know you... If you like it there and want to ordain, I believe there are possibilities.
Thank you for the advice!
Monk, samanera, anagarika, whatever. I just want to dedicate all my life to the Dhamma around admirable people.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Sri Lanka 🇱🇰
31/08/2020
Sri Lanka ready with short term plan to revive tourism
COLOMBO, Aug. 31 (Xinhua) -- Sri Lanka will implement a short term action plan to revive the country's tourism industry which has been hit by the global COVID-19 pandemic, Tourism Minister Prasanna Ranatunga was quoted by local media reports as saying on Monday.

Ranatunga said the government will allocate nearly 1 million U.S. dollars over the next four months to revive tourism and the short term action plan was being finalized.
The government said the airport will remain closed till such a time when repatriations are completed.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-0 ... 331663.htm
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17