Ajahn Sona - 32 years a monk

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
No_Mind

Ajahn Sona - 32 years a monk

Post by No_Mind »

I found his vivid account to be quite gripping.

This is the broken down shack he speaks of

His account did confirm a theory I had https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=37911

Monks in some monasteries almost starve and are down to 4-5% body fat.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Pondera

Re: Ajahn Sona - 32 years a monk

Post by Pondera »

I saw him in person, back in 2014 (as I recall). Kamloops, British Columbia.

He had just spent a Winter in complete isolation. This was his first public talk since that time. I had travelled hours to be there.

The man was happy, chirp full, - it may have been my imagination - however it was as if a banner of magenta colour was flying in the air whenever he talked.

He appeared emaciated and required help to leave the building and enter a vehicle which would bring him back to his monestery.

He was surrounded by lay followers from the Kamloops area. It was an interesting talk. He spoke of communicating with and seeing devas.

I tried to go home to the metro Vancouver area after the talk. But my heating system in my car died about 2 km into the journey.

I abandoned my car with $1000 worth of camping equipment. Took a greyhound bus home and reconciled with my wife.

Life has never been better! 🧐
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Pondera wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:12 am I saw him in person, back in 2014 (as I recall). Kamloops, British Columbia.

He had just spent a Winter in complete isolation. This was his first public talk since that time. I had travelled hours to be there.

The man was happy, chirp full, - it may have been my imagination - however it was as if a banner of magenta colour was flying in the air whenever he talked.

He appeared emaciated and required help to leave the building and enter a vehicle which would bring him back to his monestery.

He was surrounded by lay followers from the Kamloops area. It was an interesting talk. He spoke of communicating with and seeing devas.

I tried to go home to the metro Vancouver area after the talk. But my heating system in my car died about 2 km into the journey.

I abandoned my car with $1000 worth of camping equipment. Took a greyhound bus home and reconciled with my wife.

Life has never been better! 🧐
Thanks for sharing.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:03 pm I found his vivid account to be quite gripping.

Thanks. Fascinating. Motivating. And, nostalgic.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa