something allowable to have ashes placed in it

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
salayatananirodha

something allowable to have ashes placed in it

Post by salayatananirodha »

my friend from myanmar is looking to receive some of the ashes of his and my friend dylanj. but he is wanting to go thru with ordination as a bhikkhu.

it was his understanding that he'd be allowed to have a pocket watch but dylan's mom hasn't been able to find a pocket watch to hold ashes.

can anyone here find something like that or have any ideas on something he'd be allowed to carry and keep as a bhikkhu?
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
JamesTheGiant

Re: something allowable to have ashes placed in it

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Something like this would be okay. You can get many different sizes, and they're cheap. He could keep it in his bag, or on his shrine as a reminder of death https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32908141269.html
1605170318751.jpg
BKh

Re: something allowable to have ashes placed in it

Post by BKh »

If his mom is in the US or Canada, she can go to any drugstore and look for Nitroglycerin Pill Holders.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Nitroglyceri ... _sb_noss_2

They are like what is posted above and should be quite small. They will be airtight.

Some Burmese monasteries are quite ... extreme. So if he is worried that he won't be able to own anything not listed in the canon, he might want to be prepared to deposit the ashes in a sacred place at some point.

In Sri Lanka, some monks will wear tiny metal tubes that contain blessed oil (I'm not 100% sure about what is in them) so once he becomes a monk there might be something like that he could put them in.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |