Questions about monk life

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: Questions about monk life

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:42 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 am I wish I could live as a rhinoceros (sutta nipata 1.3), though it seems a distant dream. :)
for that u need to come to india and take residence in Himalayas .. there are many caves and many normal monasteries but most are tibetian which won't affect ur practice anyways.. u can become pacceka buddha.. u can look at Govind lama rinpoche milerappa
The problem is: to become an independent bhikkhu you have to stay for years under a teacher in a monastery. If you're not a bhikkhu, I presume people will not give you alms food.

I would not mind ordaining in a Mahāyāna monastery if they kindly allowed me not to take the Bodhisattva vow. :D
Not that I give much credibility to this but...
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:49 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:42 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 am I wish I could live as a rhinoceros (sutta nipata 1.3), though it seems a distant dream. :)
for that u need to come to india and take residence in Himalayas .. there are many caves and many normal monasteries but most are tibetian which won't affect ur practice anyways.. u can become pacceka buddha.. u can look at Govind lama rinpoche milerappa
The problem is: to become an independent bhikkhu you have to stay for years under a teacher in a monastery. If you're not a bhikkhu, I presume people will not give you alms food.

I would not mind ordaining in a Mahāyāna monastery if they kindly allowed me not to take the Bodhisattva vow. :D
Not that I give much credibility to this but...
yes u need 5 years .. but since u want to become arhant u can ordain in Thailand itself...
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:49 pm The problem is: to become an independent bhikkhu you have to stay for years under a teacher in a monastery. If you're not a bhikkhu, I presume people will not give you alms food.
Each year for the 3 month rains retreat (vassa) in Thailand they ordain tens of thousands of monks, who usually disrobe at the end of 3 months. Thousands and thousands of them. You could rock up to basically any Wat in Bangkok and get ordained and leave at the end of the vassa. This is not the way to become a good bhikkhu, but the ordination is valid.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:46 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:49 pm The problem is: to become an independent bhikkhu you have to stay for years under a teacher in a monastery. If you're not a bhikkhu, I presume people will not give you alms food.
Each year for the 3 month rains retreat (vassa) in Thailand they ordain tens of thousands of monks, who usually disrobe at the end of 3 months. Thousands and thousands of them. You could rock up to basically any Wat in Bangkok and get ordained and leave at the end of the vassa. This is not the way to become a good bhikkhu, but the ordination is valid.
How to avoid the big crowd and join monestry for life like buddha days
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:46 pm
What about visas?
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:15 pm What about visas?
That's a problem, yes. The wats like the ones you've visited can often help renew the visa, but a random wat might not, and an independent bhikkhu might find it a bit difficult.
PursuingNirvana

Post by PursuingNirvana »

Oh that’s interesting. If the psychedelics informed their decision to become a monk, what made them decide to renounce the use of them? I would think they would continue to experiment with more psychedelics.

And yes you’re right, I’m yet to visit any monasteries.

How long does it take to become a fully ordained monk? One that relies on others for survival?

Do you know of any non-Buddhist monasteries that would allow psychedelics? What are the chances I could find one?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

PursuingNirvana wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:53 am If the psychedelics informed their decision to become a monk, what made them decide to renounce the use of them?
They grew up and put away childish things.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

If you are thinking you still want to use psychedelics and be a monk in a Theravada monastery it is clear you have no idea what life in a Theravada monastery is really like.

You have a big fantasy. It's ok though, normal for the inexperienced.

Best wishes.
PursuingNirvana

tamdrin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am If you are thinking you still want to use psychedelics and be a monk in a Theravada monastery it is clear you have no idea what life in a Theravada monastery is really like.
Precisely true, hence my questions.

So are there different types of monasteries? If there’s Theravada, are there also Mahayana, and Vajrayana monasteries? What’s the difference?
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

PursuingNirvana wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:25 am
tamdrin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am If you are thinking you still want to use psychedelics and be a monk in a Theravada monastery it is clear you have no idea what life in a Theravada monastery is really like.
Precisely true, hence my questions.

So are there different types of monasteries? If there’s Theravada, are there also Mahayana, and Vajrayana monasteries? What’s the difference?
the goal might be different.. some people due to not knowing right view thinks samsara is amazing to live and be reborn again and again in the name of compassionately saving others ... some dont like samsara but still reborn to save compassionately.. someone want to end rebirth right away
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

Based on my experiences at monasteries in the USA.

- Are monks allowed to take psychedelics? No
- How much sleep do monks get? Where I am now, you can sleep from 9:30pm to 5am. Depends on the monastery.
- Are monks allowed to use devices and the internet? Yes
- Are monks allowed to read any book? (non-dhamma books, books by different spiritual authors, self-development books, etc.) Yes
- How many hours do monks meditate a day? Up to you.
- Do monks get long holidays? No.
- How many hours do monks do chores/work a day? 2-3 hours.
- Do monks exercise? If they wish.
- What do monks eat? Whatever is offered. Some days it's a buffet; some days it's bread and soup.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38
sphairos

Post by sphairos »

PursuingNirvana wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:53 am Oh that’s interesting. If the psychedelics informed their decision to become a monk, what made them decide to renounce the use of them? I would think they would continue to experiment with more psychedelics.

And yes you’re right, I’m yet to visit any monasteries.

How long does it take to become a fully ordained monk? One that relies on others for survival?

Do you know of any non-Buddhist monasteries that would allow psychedelics? What are the chances I could find one?
Most (actually , all of them) practitioners and monks that I've met would say that psychedelics at best only show you the states briefly, but you need to work hard, practice, meditate to actually reach the states, stay in them (and grow further). Psychedelics themselves cannot change you.
How good and wonderful are your days,
How true are your ways?
PursuingNirvana

Would you advise someone that has dietary requirements such as filtered water and low carbs to join a monastery?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

PursuingNirvana wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 pm Would you advise someone that has dietary requirements such as filtered water and low carbs to join a monastery?
I would advise them to stay at a monastery for several weeks, to see if they could fit in.
But low carb, no I don't think it's possible, even at the best supported monasteries I've visited.