I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rhinoceroshorn

I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I saw nobody do this before and this is absolutely helpful. This is very informal so don't expect much. I'll give general info about the wats I visit. Feel free to ask something about them.

By region:

•Ubon Ratchathani:

Wat Pah Nanachat (Mahā Nikāya):
pros:
-good food
-good facilities
-good library
-apparently some serious practitioners
-dhammatalks in English (by Ajahn Kevali)

cons:
-many Westerners
-many laypeople come everyday
-can't use smartphone or other electronic devices
-too strict
-simple kuti (the ones in the forest have no electricity)
-community-focused
-a bit uninspiring

Wat Pah Boom Lorm (Mahā Nikāya):
pros:
-few people
-most people are Thai
-kind abbot who speaks English (Ajahn Pum)
-you can use smartphone there
-wifi
-good kuti with electricity
-good facilities
-good food
-good library
-not too strict

cons:
-often too much work. MANY LEAVES TO SWEEP.
-not too serious practitioners

•Rayong:

Wat Marp Jan (Mahā Nikāya):
pros:
-good food
-well-respected and wise abbot (Ajahn Anan)
-some Westerners but apparently many Thai monks
-can use cellphone but there are some rules
-dhammatalks by Ajahn Anan apparently translated to English

cons:
-many laypeople come everyday
-absurd form to join the monastery
-apparently little free time

•Udon Thani:

Wat Pa Ban Tat (Dhammayuttika):
pros:
-only one single Westerner
-no morning/evening chanting
-absurd amount of free time, only sweeping at 3 pm and you can do whatever you want during the rest of the day
-can use smartphone
-good facilities
-there is a pre-meal before the meal
-very receptive people

cons:
-some bad rumors about the place
-MANY laypeople come everyday, like, MANY
-simple kuti (no electricity)

Wat Phu Kong Tong (Dhammayuttika):
pros:
-few people come everyday
-good Dhammatalks by Ajahn Martin
-good food
-absurd amount of free time like Ban Tat
-no morning/evening chanting
-good kuti with electricity
-receptiveness
-mountains

cons:
-only Westerner monks
-can't use cellphone

That's all for now.
Last edited by retrofuturist on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated at OP request - March 9th 2021
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Ceisiwr

Re: I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Post by Ceisiwr »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:15 pm
Thanks. Could you also add if the monasteries have any age restrictions? Hope you are enjoying your travels. Are you planning on ordaining?
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Ceisiwr wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:47 pm
Thanks. Could you also add if the monasteries have any age restrictions? Hope you are enjoying your travels. Are you planning on ordaining?
Oh yeah, good idea.
I know Wat Pah Nanachat doesn't want old people there, that's what I heard about there.
I heard that people of any age are accepted in Wat Phu Khong Tong, as long as you are healthy. I saw an old bhikkhu and an old anagarika. I think the same is valid for Wat Pa Ban Tat. I saw a very old laywoman from France there.
I think Wat Pah Boom Lorm also accepts old people. The abbot is VERY kind.

Yes, I plan to ordain but I didn't yet find a place good enough to me. If I'll need to stay in the same monastery for 5 years, it's better choose it well.
Last edited by rhinoceroshorn on Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:56 pm
Oh yeah, good idea.
I know Wat Pah Nanachat doesn't want old people there, that's what I heard about there.
I heard that people of any age are accepted in Wat Phu Khong Tong, as long as you are healthy. I think the same is valid for Wat Pa Ban Tat. I saw a very old laywoman from France there.
The others I don't know.

Yes, I plan to ordain but I didn't yet find a place good enough to me. If I'll need to stay in the same monastery for 5 years, it's better choose it well.
have u met ajhan suchart? I find him having equanimity
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

confusedlayman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:01 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Oh yeah, good idea.
I heard that people of any age are accepted in Wat Phu Khong Tong, as long as you are healthy. I think the same is valid for Wat Pa Ban Tat. I saw a very old laywoman from France there.
The others I don't know.

have u met ajhan suchart? I find him having equanimity
Not yet. I like him too. I hope I see him someday.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Moderation, kindly allow me to edit the first post so I can add extra info. :popcorn:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:15 pm cons:
sweeping leaves for up to 2 hours is strong form of meditation; giving up self; work without a doer; sweep away defilements :ugeek:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:49 pm
sweeping leaves for up to 2 hours is strong form of meditation; giving up self; work without a doer; sweep away defilements :ugeek:
Work without expecting anything in return.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:49 pm
The Buddha praised little work.
AN 5.96 wrote:Mendicants, a mendicant cultivating mindfulness of breathing who has five things will soon penetrate the unshakable. What five?

It’s when a mendicant has few requirements and duties, and is easily looked after and contented with life’s necessities.
AN 5.90 wrote:These five things lead to the decline of a mendicant trainee. What five?

Firstly, a mendicant trainee has many duties and responsibilities, and is competent in many tasks. They neglect retreat, and are not committed to internal serenity of heart. This is the first thing that leads to the decline of a mendicant trainee.
And non delight in work...
AN 5.89 wrote:These five things lead to the decline of a mendicant trainee. What five? They relish work, talk, sleep, and company. And they don’t review the extent of their mind’s freedom. These five things lead to the decline of a mendicant trainee.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 pm The Buddha praised little work.
The Buddha praised certain work. For example:
Good, good, Anuruddha and friends! But I hope you’re living diligently, keen, and resolute?”

“Indeed, sir, we live diligently.”

“But how do you live this way?”

“In this case, sir, whoever returns first from alms-round prepares the seats, and puts out the drinking water and the rubbish bin. If there’s anything left over, whoever returns last eats it if they like. Otherwise they throw it out where there is little that grows, or drop it into water that has no living creatures. Then they put away the seats, drinking water, and rubbish bin, and sweep the refectory. If someone sees that the pot of water for washing, drinking, or the toilet is empty they set it up. If he can’t do it, he summons another with a wave of the hand, and they set it up by lifting it with their hands. But we don’t break into speech for that reason. And every five days we sit together for the whole night and discuss the teachings. That’s how we live diligently, keen, and resolute.”

“Good, good, Anuruddha and friends!

https://suttacentral.net/mn128/en/sujato
Again, from Vinaya:
“Why do you, sisters, neither sweep the monastery nor provide drinking water and water for washing?”

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-bi-vb-p ... #Vin.4.307
:candle:
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 pm And non delight in work...
Yes. Non delight in work does not mean not doing work. Working with an empty selfless mind is not delighting in work.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 pmFirstly, a mendicant trainee has many duties and responsibilities, and is competent in many tasks
Sweeping leaves for 1 or 2 hours is not "many duties". It is one simple necessary duty.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 pmIt’s when a mendicant has few requirements and duties, and is easily looked after and contented with life’s necessities.
The Buddha above praised "few duties". Sweeping leaves is less than a few duties, therefore the Buddha praised it.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:31 pmMendicants, a mendicant cultivating mindfulness of breathing who has five things will soon penetrate the unshakable. What five?
How can a mind shaken by sweeping leaves on the monastery path to (compassionately) allow people to see any snakes on the path ever attain the unshakeable? Your monastic ideas sound like rebirth in Tavatimsa Heaven. :lol:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

Why do you prefer thai people over westerners tho? Sounds very prejudicial.
—Wat Marp Jan (Mahā Nikāya):

cons:
-absurd form to join the monastery
Can you elaborate on that, just curious. :anjali:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

EmptyShadow wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:12 am Why do you prefer thai people over westerners tho? Sounds very prejudicial.
It's his own review of a monastery, it's by definition subjective and personal.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

EmptyShadow wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:12 am Why do you prefer thai people over westerners tho? Sounds very prejudicial.
I don't feel comfortable at all among Westerners.
I'm currently in a monastery and I'm the only farang. I'm very happy here. :P
Can you elaborate on that, just curious. :anjali:
They have an extensive form to join the monastery, requiring many unnecessary information.
I asked why many questions and I was told it's precisely to scare people away. They are doing it well because I really didn't stay there precisely because of the form. :coffee:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I took a picture of their schedule (Wat Marp Jan) when I was there. Little free time to practice alone.

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17