I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
rhinoceroshorn

Re: I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 am Lovely to read about your explorations, Rhino. Why so work averse, though? Work can be done joyfully and sweeping is a wonderful meditation.
I'm averse to much work.
Though I like the idea of sweeping the monastery moderately. I sometimes do it with a deep gratitude.

I'm in a Thai monastery now and we have only one hour or less of sweeping everyday. This is the ideal. Some monasteries (Nanachat/Boon Lorm) want you to sweep in the morning, before the meal and in the afternoon. Some 3/4 hours of sweeping. It's too much.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 am
Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 am Lovely to read about your explorations, Rhino. Why so work averse, though? Work can be done joyfully and sweeping is a wonderful meditation.
I'm averse to much work.
Though I like the idea of sweeping the monastery moderately. I sometimes do it with a deep gratitude.

I'm in a Thai monastery now and we have only one hour or less of sweeping everyday. This is the ideal. Some monasteries (Nanachat/Boon Lorm) want you to sweep in the morning, before the meal and in the afternoon. Some 3/4 hours of sweeping. It's too much.
wow can't balme you.3 or 4 hours of sweeping is insane. unles you learn to live with it and meditatie while doing it
Bhikkhu Ariyananda

Post by Bhikkhu Ariyananda »

This could save a lot of time for others

Thank you :)

Anyone been to

1) Wat Yan (Ajahn Suchart)
2) Wat Subtawee (Ajahn Gunha)
3) Pa Pae IDOP program

Any inputs would be much appreciated :)

With Metta
With Metta
Bhikkhu Ariyananda
https://ledimonk.wordpress.com/

"Wanting has no END but freedom from WANTING has an END" - Ajahn Brahm
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Kiranraj.bodhi wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:12 am This could save a lot of time for others

Thank you :)

Anyone been to

1) Wat Yan (Ajahn Suchart)
2) Wat Subtawee (Ajahn Gunha)
3) Pa Pae IDOP program

Any inputs would be much appreciated :)

With Metta
I've been to number 3.

pros:
-Well organized
-nice nature-y facilities
-relatively strict discipline (a pro for me cuz i like being serious)
-Immersive experience into the simple life
-Well supported and thus you never have to worry about access to necessities

cons:
-They arent picky on who they let in so some people your with may be annoying (its just luck of the draw)
-Only touches on the basics of Buddhism and monk life unless you extend your stay
-Chores and lifestyle takes some getting used to for most westerners
-no cell phones

If you heard about Pa Pae IDOP thru the Youtube Channel of Ven. Nick Keomahavong, I can attest he gives an accurate portrayal.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Kiranraj.bodhi wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:12 am This could save a lot of time for others
Yes, that's the purpose of this topic. You go knowing what to expect.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Stillmind28

Post by Stillmind28 »

I have also been very interested in wat phu Kong tong. It’s looks almost perfect. My question is how intense is it? For someone who is looking to stay for a long period of time is it conducive? Should one be super advanced to survive the intensity?
Alino

Post by Alino »

Thank you Rhino for sharing !

It's not à judgment, because today's minds are really addicted to cell phones and as all addiction it is hard to let go off.
But I think it is a good point if monastery prohibits cellphones.

Personally, being adult I have never lived for a long time without phone, so I don't know how it will deal with it but, but one of my dreams is to one day being free from obligation to have a phone... There is some taste of freedom in it... Being free from Internet in the ciecle of the Internet 🙃

Freedom is not to surf on the web whenever you want as much you want.
Freedom is to be free from surfing.

If Buddha was there, I think he would prohibit cellphones.

Its sad that "The social dilemma" is no longer available on YouTube, but I recommend.

Imho 🙏
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Hi rhino, i hope you are doing good. How is your practice progress?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

I lived in Chiang Mai for 7 years and just recently returned to the U.S.

In this time I visited many monasteries and stayed for practice in a few of them.

I did a month long stay at a temple called "Doi Pui" which is on the mountain past Doi Suthep near a little hilltribe village. This is not a monastery set up for westerners but I had an Australian monk friend who was doing the rains retreat there. I learned a lot there and went for alms down a long flight of steps to the village everyday. I only did some sweeping and evening chanting with the monks, in addition to help serve them the morning meal. It was a great time, and because it was on the mountain it is much cooler than in Chiang Mai. Overall it was a very peaceful time.

I did a 3 day stay at the temple of a famous monk who passed away a few years ago. This is in Mae Taeng about 40km north of Chiang Mai. He was a very great monk and meditator and I remember feeling like he "emanated" from another realm. I guess this was because of his samadhi practice. Later, another western monk I met said he was known to have perfected the parami of samadhi. His temple was called Wat Aranyawiwake but it wasn't that conducive to practice as there were no individual kutis for laypeople.

I also stayed at the famous cave temple of Luang Por Sim in Chiang Dao. Chiang Dao is one of my favorite spots in Thailand as the mountain is majestic and breathtaking. The temple is very secluded and peaceful because you have to walk up a ton of steps to get there. It is built in a cave complex that is renovated. I had some peaceful times there. Wakeup is early, 3 am. There are some kutis for laypeople but most stay in a communal dorm. But there are lots of places to find solitude and practice by oneself.

I will update later about some other temples I've practiced at.
Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

tamdrin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:52 pm I lived in Chiang Mai for 7 years and just recently returned to the U.S.

In this time I visited many monasteries and stayed for practice in a few of them.

Thank you very much for the review. Can a female lay yogi stay in Luang Por Sim in Chiang Dao ?
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Dilantha wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:59 am
tamdrin wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:52 pm I lived in Chiang Mai for 7 years and just recently returned to the U.S.

Thank you very much for the review. Can a female lay yogi stay in Luang Por Sim in Chiang Dao ?

Yes, you can. They have women's quarters as well as mens. No problem and I highly recommend a visit! There is also a temple near there called Wat Tam Pak Piang. Also a cave complex worth a visit but not as set up for visitors staying there.
Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

tamdrin wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:03 pm
Dilantha wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:59 am

Yes, you can. They have women's quarters as well as mens. No problem and I highly recommend a visit! There is also a temple near there called Wat Tam Pak Piang. Also a cave complex worth a visit but not as set up for visitors staying there.
Thank you very much.