I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Herenow777

Re: I'll review every Thai monastery I visit in this thread

Post by Herenow777 »

Following this with great interest. Thank you! :)
PursuingNirvana

Post by PursuingNirvana »

I know it’s unlikely they’d allow it, but what was their attitude towards the use of psychedelics?
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

If I ever join a monastery it would be to get away from work!!! There’s no way I’m going to sweep leaves. That’s “work”. No thanks. :spy:
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

PursuingNirvana wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:32 am I know it’s unlikely they’d allow it, but what was their attitude towards the use of psychedelics?
I don't use any intoxicant so I didn't bother to ask about that.

But I saw monks smoking cigarettes/tobacco in 3 monasteries. It's funny because one of those monasteries prohibits cellphones but allows smoking. This pissed me off.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Pondera wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:35 am If I ever join a monastery it would be to get away from work!!! There’s no way I’m going to sweep leaves. That’s “work”. No thanks. :spy:
So go to a Dhammayuttika monastery. Ajahn Chah monasteries love sweeping leaves apparently. And they want you to be a diligent sweeper.

Venerable Ajahn Martin said explicitly to me they want the minimum chores possible there so guests can have the maximum free time to practice alone. And it's true. As far as I recall there is one hour or less than that of sweeping daily.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 am I took a picture of their schedule (Wat Marp Jan) when I was there. Little free time to practice alone.

Wow that's not ideal. I guess they want to stop people meditating, and instead focus on communal work-practise as a way to practise the dhamma.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:59 am
Pondera wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:35 am If I ever join a monastery it would be to get away from work!!! There’s no way I’m going to sweep leaves. That’s “work”. No thanks. :spy:
So go to a Dhammayuttika monastery. Ajahn Chah monasteries love sweeping leaves apparently. And they want you to be a diligent sweeper.
No way, man. That’s “work”! If I wanted to work I’d be married to my wife like I am now - working 80 hours a pay period. I HATE work!!!
Venerable Ajahn Martin said explicitly to me they want the minimum chores possible there so guests can have the maximum free time to practice alone. And it's true. As far as I recall there is one hour or less than that of sweeping daily.
Nope. Not for me. I’m going to live in a cave in the jungle by myself. Solitary retreat. TBH - I’d sleep all day. Probably miss the noon deadline for meals. I’d have to eat after noon. That’s an offence? Or no?

TBH - I’m way past my prime. Gunna be 40 this October. Gotta find ways to meditate on the job. 😉
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Monks also eat in the afternoon. Cheese, candy, sunflower seeds, chocolate, some fruits, etc. Even the juice is with pulp...
I used to be very strict with the sixth precept when I was in my home. It was a bit chocking seeing all this here but I'm used. :lol:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
PursuingNirvana

Post by PursuingNirvana »

How about using the internet for learning and self-improvement? Would they let you watch YouTube and buy any self-help book that isn't dhamma? But then there's the vow of poverty..
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

PursuingNirvana wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:07 am How about using the internet for learning and self-improvement? Would they let you watch YouTube and buy any self-help book that isn't dhamma? But then there's the vow of poverty..
In monasteries which allow cellphone, you do whatever you want with it, it's up to you. I guess so, you read whatever you wish. The abbot of Wat Pah Boom Lorm himself recommended me watching dhammatalks on youtube as his dhammatalks were all in Thai.

I have a bhikkhu added on Facebook who almost daily posts quotes of non-Buddhist thinkers like Nietzsche. It's up to you.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Also, I left Wat Phu Khong Tong because of the cellphone rule. Not gonna relinquish it.
The monastery is really good so it is a shame. If someone here doesn't care about it, this is the monastery I would recommend primarily.
And of course, if you don't care about being in a bubble with Westerner monks.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:01 am Monks also eat in the afternoon. Cheese, candy, sunflower seeds, chocolate, some fruits, etc. Even the juice is with pulp...
I used to be very strict with the sixth precept when I was in my home. It was a bit chocking seeing all this here but I'm used. :lol:
Indeed. I don’t know much about the rules but AFAIK eating after noon is frowned upon, but not a punishable offence - like oversleeping.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:19 am Also, I left Wat Phu Khong Tong because of the cellphone rule. Not gonna relinquish it.
The monastery is really good so it is a shame. If someone here doesn't care about it, this is the monastery I would recommend primarily.
And of course, if you don't care about being in a bubble with Westerner monks.
do monks do vipasanna or jhana mostly?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

Hi,
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:15 pm I saw nobody do this before and this is absolutely helpful.
There's an old review by Dieter Baltruschat:

https://retreat-infos.de/page95/page95.html
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Lovely to read about your explorations, Rhino. Why so work averse, though? Work can be done joyfully and sweeping is a wonderful meditation.