Going to Myanmar

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Dilantha

Re: Going to Myanmar

Post by Dilantha »

GnosticMind wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 pm ......-- some Sri Lankans and Myanmar people are -- generally speaking -- not well disposed towards foreigners or immigrants who want to stay long-term in their countries ( eg not tourist temporary stay visitors), and non-Buddhists --
I am pretty sure as Sri lankans its not true. We don't care how long you stay and practice . We even give free food and logging. Nobody who giving the dana questions that. or objecting to give food to people practicing in the monestries.we are very happy to see forighners coming to practice. But its about countries law and order. on the other hand will we be able to live in the western world with out any obstacles? you tell me.its not easy get visas also..as long as the country not getting any benifit from us then they will chase us out. nobody gives free food or logging to practice meditation. I dont know why you said some sri lankans dont like immigrants who want to stay long term..
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

I don't live in the West and I haven't lived there for decades, so I can't answer your questions I am afraid.

Sri Lankan Bhikkhus can be very nationalistic and in particular, hostile to Muslims.

I don't mean that in a sense of any ill-will -- Sri Lankan Bhikkhus taught me so much over 30 years ago, when I was finding my way around Sutta study and Bhavana and I have never experienced anything but generosity and kindness from the Sri Lankan Sangha, for which I am grateful.

But, irrespective of my own experience, it is obviously true that some are hostile and aggressive and nationalistic.

Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

GnosticMind wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:02 pm I don't live in the West and I haven't lived there for decades, so I can't answer your questions I am afraid.

Sri Lankan Bhikkhus can be very nationalistic and in particular, hostile to Muslims.

I don't mean that in a sense of any ill-will -- Sri Lankan Bhikkhus taught me so much over 30 years ago, when I was finding my way around Sutta study and Bhavana and I have never experienced anything but generosity and kindness from the Sri Lankan Sangha, for which I am grateful.

But, irrespective of my own experience, it is obviously true that some are hostile and aggressive and nationalistic.

That monk doesn't represent the whole sangha in sri lanka. if you go to myanmar you will see same ..and even you will see similar corrupted monks in thailand. as well as good monks.Even in lord Buddha's time..doesn't it? so whats your point?
On another note I am not associating any of those temple monk in any case. And I donot know why you take up this matter in here. is there any relevence?

P.S. The muslim terrorism is a different matter. (pls make note that I didnt talk about muslims as a whole. I said muslim terrorism) . and that whole world suffers from terrirism. pls tell me who is not aggressive towards terrorists in whole world if there is anybody.