Requesting Sri Lanka Ordination information

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
may.all.bliss

Re: Requesting Sri Lanka Ordination information

Post by may.all.bliss »

In a way it's really hard to say; i'm going to become a monk.
To relative's, the shame of dropping out,
and not living out a life of romance/children/travelling,
which i still crave a bit (i am 25).

At the same time, i have a rich dream life, or nice dreams.
And I tend to be quite happy in meditation.
Practice does help..

And at the same time, normal life has so much potential for stress also.
And a happy yogi, or a unhappy yogi, are dangerous,
not afraid of what others think of them,
if i already have a tendency of wanting to drop out..
happiest in meditation.

how can I build a stable life.

not to mention life is so strange, with all the synchronicties, insight into feelings or minds of others,
being affected by it too, not being established very well necessarily in meditation.
spiritual friends.. (that's good actually (hardest part being near the truly miserable)).

western society is hectic in general, it was, and now with internet, and spirituality in it too, crazy..
not to mention all sorts of different believes, people being fed a 1000 opinions from people from work, tv, internet, etc.
people having different believes about what they are, what is good, often delusional.

in a way then it sounds like quite a good choice to drop out.

most notably, I am done with socializing, people always talk so much babble usually,
caught up with their minds..
continues 24/7 for some..

and then the spiritual meditators are crazy, right.

though often spiritual people tend to also have delusional beliefs also.
(all thoughts are wrong, but the universe can also be strange..
and ye there is divine law or love in it too, doesn't have to be all bad).
-
sorry felt like ranting, feel free to forget it, i maybe shouldn't and don't want to engage in online stuff, but oh well.

needless to say I am not interested in London (lol)
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

Lockdown may be a good period to take time out and go and stay in a temple for a month or two, then you can see how it all works out.

It's decades since I have been there ( over twenty five years) but I used to love visiting Khemmadhammo's Hermitage -- he's an interesting, thoughtful man, who loves going his own way -- he used to be a Shakespearian actor.

Where are you in Europe? So many good meditation environments already there -- beautiful as it may be ( and indeed, it is) do you really need to move to Sri Lanka?
Last edited by GnosticMind on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

PS - I understand what you said about not wanting to be in London, for sure -- but bear in mind that once you are in a temple there, it's a silent space -- even in London.
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

GnosticMind wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:58 am PS - I understand what you said about not wanting to be in London, for sure -- but bear in mind that once you are in a temple there, it's a silent space -- even in London.
Thank you, yeah.
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Ven. Bhikkhu Subhuti gives some information:
Where to Ordain --philosophy matching
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

salayatananirodha wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:17 pm can you still do pindapata in london? that would be one of my biggest concerns about a western monastery
Perhaps this will help you to eliminate fear and attain Nibbana.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

Sarath said, "Perhaps this will help you to eliminate fear and attain Nibbana."

Possibly, possibly...but London is both 'heaven' and 'hell' and 'purgatory' too...

In some areas of London the tension between the ghetto-poor deprived, the have-nots of all ethnicities, colours and creeds (and no creeds), is frankly, dangerous... A Bhikkhu, Sadhu, Rabbi, Imam or Christian priest could find himself preyed upon in some areas of London...it happens all the time : Imams turn the wrong corner and get harassed by English nationalists and football fans, and the inverse is also true, a young white guy may turn the corner and find himself prey in a Bangladeshi Muslim area, a Rabbi turns the wrong corner and gets preyed upon by African Christians, or Muslims angry about Palestine...nowadays, a Bhikkhu in London may well find himself blamed for the Rohingya crisis... I have heard some of the English Sangha were subjected to such jeers, I think in an airport or on London's streets.

London can be a crucible.
Dilantha

Post by Dilantha »

GnosticMind wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:55 am Sarath said, "Perhaps this will help you to eliminate fear and attain Nibbana."

. I have heard some of the English Sangha were subjected to such jeers, I think in an airport or on London's streets.

London can be a crucible.

Once an airport worker (my be heathrow airport) argued with me that Sri Lanka is a part of India..He was soo offended that I said Sri lanka is a independent country for ages..but he kept arguing.. I was in UK for many years and some parts of the country is not suitsble for immigratns (or even for monks) definitly. So thats the atitude of some people
axelsnaxel

Post by axelsnaxel »

A decent option in Sri Lanka is to ordain in Tanjan Taenna.
http://bhaddekavihari.org/
There there is a Canadian monk who is excellent in Vinaya and is very happy to teach the essentials of Bhikkhu and carika life.
https://m.facebook.com/bhantejoeatulo

The downside there is that you have to do a lot of chores for a year as a samanera. But after that you have a lot of free time for meditation.

Then there is also the study monastery connected to Na Uyana, where there is a lot of foreigners.