I'm considering becoming a monk

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Mangaka

I'm considering becoming a monk

Post by Mangaka »

I wish a good day to all who gathered here.
The reason of this topic is that I'm considering becoming a monk.

It is already for some time I found devotion to Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha. Daily I do devotional practises, meditate, I also recite suttas for the well being of all living, like Karanīya Metta sutta, Ratana sutta and others. Studying and learning of the teaching of venerable Buddha is daily matter too.
Five precepts and also some precepts intended to monks are in my mind everyday.

Now I have these thoughts in my mind about deepening my devotion and continue further on the path. Please, can someone help me, how and where can a humble, almost 30 years old lay follower ask for becoming monk? It would be great to find oportunity in states like Austria, Germany and other countries around. Simply said... How it works?

Thank you for any help,
Mettā
Last edited by Mangaka on Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JamesTheGiant

Re: I'm considering becoming a monk

Post by JamesTheGiant »

What country are you in?
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Assuming you are a German or German speaker: I know Ayya Khema had a Buddhist center in Germany (Buddhahaus), and Ajahn Martin of the Dhammayut order (I don't know his location, I believe mostly Thailand but he visits Germany every once in a while at least). You may want to see if you can visit a Buddhist monastery where there are monks in your area and ask how to ordain. I have heard of quite a few German speaking monks ordaining in Asia just anecdotally. Abhayagiri here in California has ordained a few European monks.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

First step is to visit and stay at a monastery for a few weeks.
Talk to the monks about How To Become A Monk. They will give you lots of good advice.
Sorry I don't know which European monasteries are the good ones, hopefully some European members here can recommend you some.
Alino

Post by Alino »

According to Ajahns, with Brexit the most suitable place to ordain in Europe is Santacittarama in Italy.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Hello again and thank you very much for your answers.
TamHanhHi

Post by TamHanhHi »

You might check out Ven. Hiriko's monastery in Slovenia: http://slo-theravada.org
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38
SamanaJohann2

Post by SamanaJohann2 »

Go on, don't waste time, if serious, and Devas will open closed gates...

This isn't hotel booking, travel considering, consumer exchange, this way out, but a closing door behind and leaving keys inside. Hoing on and search for refuge in the homeless state, as soon inspired and perceiving a member of the Sangha. Nothing needed to know aside of Dukkha and faith that there is a way out, meeting the Samana. Else will be given once in robes for a good walking on in this Dhamma-Vinaya, and to nothing else is one bond as to the Tripple Gems, different than having chosen and booked a suggested trip.

Much success and right fear as well as no fear in walking on good. This way isfastly closing up, less will find it in time before disappeared.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I've tried out the thai tradition of short term ordination and i found it to be a great experience. Definitely worth a try. personally i recommend every Buddhist who is able to try it out at least once. the decision to try out the monk life was the most impactful experience ive ever had and was really what got me into practicing Buddhism seriously in my personal life. Plenty of thai temples have programs in europe you can try out. If you are looking for long term ordination or lifetime ordination it may be a bit harder, but also give you more options cuz then you are less restricted in what kind of temples you can ordain at (sri lankan temples only take life long for the most part for example i think).

If its something you are still hesitant about i recommend a short term program (probably at a thai temple just cuz they do it the most often) in Europe to test the waters and see if you like the lifestyle. you can just google ordination programmes in europe or something. if you google it in english odds are you will get programs that speak english and you obviously know english. cant hurt just to try it out for a few weeks or so.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Eko Care

Post by Eko Care »

Mangaka wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:53 pm The reason of this topic is that I'm considering becoming a monk.
It is already for some time I found devotion to Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha. Daily I do devotional practises, meditate,
Greetings,

I would suggest (if you don't have any objections) reading the Kathavatthu (and it's commentary if possible) before deciding the tradition or teacher.
Then you can get to know about the views and try pabbajja under an acceptable teacher in an acceptable tradition.
View is the forerunner. It will decide your whole future.

After that,
SamanaJohann2 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:19 pm Go on, don't waste time, if serious, and Devas will open closed gates...
This isn't hotel booking, travel considering, consumer exchange, this way out, but a closing door behind and leaving keys inside.
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

Hello Dhamma friends
It is almost one year since I post this topic. Now after that time I know for sure that I would like to become monk. I think that time to tell that to my parents is getting close.
But.. I'm not sure about my mother (it may be dificult) and my father is Christian (or they call themselves Husité). But some time ago he started with meditation, maybe because he saw me or maybe words about lord Buddha started his interest.
I think it is good chance, maybe he will even consent. He could then also help me to tell that to my mother.

But why I'm writing this..
Is here anyone, who was in (at least) similar situation? I would like to take this opportunity, but at the same time I would not like to do a wrong step (maybe there will be no more chance about their consent after that). So I would like to talk about that here first.
I know that there are important conditions: consent of my parents, then acceptance from monks and also my kamma..
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Mangaka wrote:It is almost one year since I post this topic. Now after that time I know for sure that I would like to become monk.
Since the time you first posted this inquiry ( about a year ago? ), have you tried living the lifestyle of a full-time monk at home to see if you can handle it? The reason I ask is because the more you're comfortable with that kind of lifestyle at your home right now, the better the chance you'll stick with monkhood after you've taken the real ordination. As you already knew, monkhood is certainly not for the faint of heart. There're strict rules to be observed for the rest of a monk's life: no sex in whatever shape or form, one meal a day before noon (at least for a Theravada ordination), no money and bare minimum material possessions, etc. So the more you're comfortable living that kind of lifestyle right now at you home, the more you'll be able to know for sure whether you're ready to pursue AND stay on that Noble Path.
Mangaka

Post by Mangaka »

santa100 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:02 pm
Mangaka wrote:It is almost one year since I post this topic. Now after that time I know for sure that I would like to become monk.
Since the time you first posted this inquiry ( about a year ago? ), have you tried living the lifestyle of a full-time monk at home to see if you can handle it? The reason I ask is because the more you're comfortable with that kind of lifestyle at your home right now, the better the chance you'll stick with monkhood after you've taken the real ordination. As you already knew, monkhood is certainly not for the faint of heart. There're strict rules to be observed for the rest of a monk's life: no sex in whatever shape or form, one meal a day before noon (at least for a Theravada ordination), no money and bare minimum material possessions, etc. So the more you're comfortable living that kind of lifestyle right now at you home, the more you'll be able to know for sure whether you're ready to pursue AND stay on that Noble Path.
Hello and thank you for your answer.
Yes.. I observe eight monastic precepts. Some time ago it was five precepts (but instead of third precept there already was celibacy). Now I don't eat afternoon anymore, I do not use cosmetics etc. I already visited monastery too.
That is why I can now say: I would like to walk on this path. I don't see anymore interest in many things which people in my age or older people like. I see those things like impermanent, yes.. there may be some hapiness from them but if there is clining.. suffering is much more that that amount of hapiness.
I'm trying to live in simple lifestyle (I don't even have televison or computer) and I feel well in that.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Very good, I think you will be a good monk.
Sorry I can't help with how to tell your parents. My parents were very supportive, so i don't know.
Best wishes!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Mangaka wrote:Hello and thank you for your answer.
Yes.. I observe eight monastic precepts. Some time ago it was five precepts (but instead of third precept there already was celibacy). Now I don't eat afternoon anymore, I do not use cosmetics etc. I already visited monastery too.
That is why I can now say: I would like to walk on this path. I don't see anymore interest in many things which people in my age or older people like. I see those things like impermanent, yes.. there may be some hapiness from them but if there is clining.. suffering is much more that that amount of hapiness.
I'm trying to live in simple lifestyle (I don't even have televison or computer) and I feel well in that.
Seems like you have what it takes to go "all the way" then. The only remaining issue is your parents. Are they able to support themselves financially? If they currently rely on your financial support, do you have one or more siblings who can take over this duty once you've gone ? You mentioned you're almost 30 yrs old and live in Europe ( Austria, Germany,...? ), then it's perfectly legit. to decide what kind of life you want to live for yourself ( given that the financial issue above has been resolved ). Folks (especially males) in Asia would have a much tougher time than you because the culture over there makes it kinda an un-officially written rule that a son is supposed to take care of his parents and stay by their side at least until they pass away. So, go ahead. All that's left is to pick a temple, apply for temporary stay for a few months to test out if their training program is legit and rigorous enough. And remember, worst case scenario is you'll return to lay life, but you've already been a monk at heart for you've already lived that kind of lifestyle at home!