Pros and cons of short term ordination.

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Pros and cons of short term ordination.

Post by SarathW »

In Sri Lanka, the disrobing is a taboo. I feel sorry for the people who had to disrobe for what ever reason.
What was the attitude of Buddha for people who wants to move back to a lower life? Are they in a worse situation than lay people? Should their be a help line for people who have decided to disrobe?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Re: Pros and cons of short term ordination.

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:57 am In Sri Lanka, the disrobing is a taboo. I feel sorry for the people who had to disrobe for what ever reason.
What was the attitude of Buddha for people who wants to move back to a lower life? Are they in a worse situation than lay people? Should their be a help line for people who have decided to disrobe?
If someone disrobe then other monks or preceptor shloud discourage disrobing telling the pitfalls of laylife and rare blessing of monkhood... in the end if disrobing is done its done ... it could be due to karma like citta elephant trainer or any reasons
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SamanaJohann2

Re: Pros and cons of short term ordination.

Post by SamanaJohann2 »

Aside of grave wrongdoings which cut one of, there are "only" three reasons, as the Sublime Buddha told, why people go back into the lower life: drunken/indoxicated in youth, drunken in health, drunken in life. Short: not seeing the truth of Dukkha. No other valide reason can be found, or isn't again actually rooted in them.

But why busy in looking after those who, at least gave it a try? Don't one think that one not ordaining, "sitting in front of the TV, looking sports, no idea of doing it by himself", has in 90% other reasons not to ordain at first place.

As for "I don't ordain because not sure if I am able to resist...": well, what has been done has it's effects, what ever done, small or large, one has made "his". Someone seeking secure where there isn't, or hopes things will be fine without leaving stand/home/house, might be terrible sad, later, thing not done, yet strength already gone, war, hunger, pandemics, marxism has arosen, dukkha can be finally little be seen...
Last edited by SamanaJohann2 on Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.