ordination rules

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
confusedlayman

ordination rules

Post by confusedlayman »

“Mendicants, ordination should be given by a mendicant with five qualities. What five? It’s a mendicant who has the entire spectrum of an adept’s ethics, immersion, wisdom, freedom, and the knowledge and vision of freedom. Ordination should be given by a mendicant with these five qualities.”

so minimum the preceptor should be sotapanna?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
dharmacorps

Re: ordination rules

Post by dharmacorps »

Nothing in there indicates sotapanna..?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm so minimum the preceptor should be sotapanna?
I remember reading similar sutta, and the answer is basically yes, should be a sotapanna.
BUT it's just a "should", not a "must", so if you can't find a sotapanna then find the best monk you can.
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

If this were the case then about 95% of every ordination in existence would be invalid.

and to be honest "knowledge and wisdom of freedom" I believe denotes arahant, not Sotapanna.

As said above by James, its "should" not a "must".
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Bhikkhu_Jayasara wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:00 pm If this were the case then about 95% of every ordination in existence would be invalid.

and to be honest "knowledge and wisdom of freedom" I believe denotes arahant, not Sotapanna.

As said above by James, its "should" not a "must".
Should and must are same. ?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...