Ordaining with HIV & Anxiety Disorder

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
boi_83

Ordaining with HIV & Anxiety Disorder

Post by boi_83 »

Hi everyone.

I am currently 38 years old living with HIV & Anxiety Disorder for more than 10 years and in a stable condition in which I need to take medicine daily and to see the doctor every 6 months.
I am thinking of ordaining in Thailand in order to turn over a new life and to stay in the robes to lead a religious life till I pass on.
Would anyone know if it is possible to do so and which temple will be able to accept me.
Thanks in advance.
dharmacorps

Re: Ordaining with HIV & Anxiety Disorder

Post by dharmacorps »

Sorry to say it, but I am not sure if you would be able to ordain with HIV. There are some vinaya considerations dealing with communicable diseases (which yes, HIV is now treatable for long periods of time but not curable). There may also be many logistical complexities of taking your medications (not to mention the fact in Thailand there would be other infections a HIV+ person could get) and the fact if you get sick, there may be many difficulties associated with your care as a HIV patient which would be harder than say, a diabetic. Myself I have a medical condition which precludes me from ordaining, so don't feel too bad. Hopefully a monastic here can answer and give you a more clear cut answer.
boi_83

Post by boi_83 »

Anyone can help me?
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

My back up plan, in case my marriage ever failed, was to live on the streets via my disability status (I have schizophrenia). At over $1000 dollars a month, I could easily live a beggars life. Heck. I wouldn’t even have to beg.

A couple of problems. The cold. I live in the North West and it gets cold. I’m particularly adverse to the cold and don’t think I could hack a winter here on the streets.

Also, I love my wife. We’ve been together 13 years. She keeps me going. We have our share of fights, but we seem to always resolve our marital issues. I’m currently very happy with my home, my job, my routine, and my meditation practice.

What does this have to do with you? Well, if you qualify for long term disability (I don’t know) you could just go sramana style and live the secluded life.

Even if you don’t qualify for disability - you could get on welfare and do it that way.

Of course, you wouldn’t have any companions in the holy life - much less teachers to guide your meditation practice. Your sangha would likely be online only.

The Buddha praised seclusion. If you wanted a holy life you could go it alone. Get your meds when you need them. Rely on the internet for suttas and guidance. And the rest is up to you.

At 40 - the appeal of the secluded life for me is slowly fading. I am beginning to prefer the comfort of a roof over my head and a reason to get up in the morning. I’m actually looking far ahead to retirement and it doesn’t look so bad.

But if you’re not one for the rat race - and there’s issues with monasteries in foreign countries (as the poster above mentioned) you could always go it alone.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
robertk

Post by robertk »

Pondera wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 am ? Well, if you qualify for long term disability (I don’t know) you could just go sramana style and live the secluded life.

Even if you don’t qualify for disability - you could get on welfare and do it that way.

Of course, you wouldn’t have any companions in the holy life - much less teachers to guide your meditation practice. Your sangha would likely be online only.

The Buddha praised seclusion. If you wanted a holy life you could go it alone. Get your meds when you need them. Rely on the internet for suttas and guidance. And the rest is up to you.

At 40 - the appeal of the secluded life for me is slowly fading. I am beginning to prefer the comfort of a roof over my head and a reason to get up in the morning. I’m actually looking far ahead to retirement and it doesn’t look so bad.

But if you’re not one for the rat race - and there’s issues with monasteries in foreign countries (as the poster above mentioned) you could always go it alone.
An old friend, Jim Anderson - who died a few years back age about 70- stayed alone for most of his life in a hut in forest in Canada. Studying Pali for the most part. He qualified for disability allowance so got by on that.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

robertk wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:02 am
Pondera wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:52 am ? Well, if you qualify for long term disability (I don’t know) you could just go sramana style and live the secluded life.

An old friend, Jim Anderson - who died a few years back age about 73- stayed alone for most of his life in a hut in forest in Canada. Studying Pali for the most part. He qualified for disability allowance so got by on that.
Wow. Credit to him. And may he Rest In Peace. Canada is a rough place to be exposed to the elements.

Even Ven. Sona and company in Kamloops generate their own electricity off the grid with solar panels. They’ve got a diesel generator as well, so I’ve read.

I might have done the same thing at one time - if I had stayed on my meds. Then again, the allure of “giving it all up” sometimes comes with the notion that you don’t need the meds.

But, there you go, OP. It works in practice and theory.

Do you qualify for disability?

The Buddha did encourage solitude. And dhammawheel will be here for you. Assuming you find a way to charge your smart phone 🧐
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
robertk

Post by robertk »

Here is a link to photos of Jim and his house in the woods (actually bigger than a hut I see now).
He did have a way to get power I think by generator. And periodically he would manage to travel the long distance to town to stock up on supplies.

https://dhamma.discoursehosting.net/t/j ... 48-2019/47
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Pondera wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:48 am

An old friend, Jim Anderson - who died a few years back age about 73- stayed alone for most of his life in a hut in forest in Canada. Studying Pali for the most part. He qualified for disability allowance so got by on that.
Wow. Credit to him. And may he Rest In Peace. Canada is a rough place to be exposed to the elements.

Even Ven. Sona and company in Kamloops generate their own electricity off the grid with solar panels. They’ve got a diesel generator as well, so I’ve read.

I might have done the same thing at one time - if I had stayed on my meds. Then again, the allure of “giving it all up” sometimes comes with the notion that you don’t need the meds.

The Buddha did encourage solitude. And dhammawheel will be here for you. Assuming you find a way to charge your smart phone 🧐
If I could get disability and be over here in Thailand I would be in absolute heaven. Unfortunately you can't live outside of the country on it.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

tamdrin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:29 pm

If I could get disability and be over here in Thailand I would be in absolute heaven. Unfortunately you can't live outside of the country on it.
Same deal with me. Although, for the present time, I am working full time and not collecting disability. I still have disability status.

But, worse case scenario, my wife left me for some reason: I’d likely quit my job and live out of my car.

I’m pretty comfortable with my meditation regime. Ie. at this point I don’t feel a teacher or a community could teach me anything else about what I need to know.

So, that’s the route I’d take. Live a solitary life. Pursue my meditation regime as far as I could take it. 🧐
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Pondera wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:42 am
tamdrin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:29 pm

Same deal with me. Although, for the present time, I am working full time and not collecting disability. I still have disability status.

But, worse case scenario, my wife left me for some reason: I’d likely quit my job and live out of my car.

I’m pretty comfortable with my meditation regime. Ie. at this point I don’t feel a teacher or a community could teach me anything else about what I need to know.

So, that’s the route I’d take. Live a solitary life. Pursue my meditation regime as far as I could take it. 🧐

It looks like I may be forced to move back to America soon because of the strong anti foreigner sentiment prevailing in Thailand currently. It will be interesting living in the US, I usually feel depressed there and have more mental issues but my wife wants to try it out. Not sure how I will get by and little chance of getting back on disability when they find out I have been supporting myself living abroad for 9 years. I don't qualify for it.

I don't think you should underestimate the value of a qualified teacher. I have learned many amazing things from the Ajahns in Thailand.

Best wishes.