Ajahn Pannobhasa is disrobing

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Coëmgenu

Re: Ajahn Pannobhasa is disrobing

Post by Coëmgenu »

What's my choice, Gnostic, what is it? You're being an outright ass now, so you might as well speak your mind.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Let me guess, I've supposedly made a choice to be an evil Evola Nazi because I post here.
What is the Uncreated?
greentea

Post by greentea »

DNS wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm
Dhammanando wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:53 pm
Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote: I repeat --

"Evola was a fascist -- if you like Evola, you are buying into that. There's no way round it.
Then it's a jolly good thing that we've got you here to warn us about him! I mean if there's one thing Dhamma Wheel's famous for it's our gigantic vanguard of Julius Evola fans. The forum these days seems to be positively teeming with them. I might have been in danger of becoming one myself if I hadn't learned from you that he was a fascist of all things. Phew, what a relief.

:rofl:
:thumbsup:

And this also reminds me of George W. Bush's infamous:
"You're either with us, or you're against us."

All of which is the false dilemma fallacy.

If Hitler said the earth is a sphere and we agreed with him on this, that wouldn't make us Nazis.
This is funny because allegedly George W. Bush's grandfather was involved in a conspiracy to overthrow FDR and install a Fascist government. It is known as The Business Plot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

greentea wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:59 pm This is funny because allegedly George W. Bush's grandfather was involved in a conspiracy to overthrow FDR and install a Fascist government. It is known as The Business Plot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot
Usually the fruit doesn't fall very far from the tree. :tongue:
greentea

Post by greentea »

I think the venerable should have lived a full layman life before becoming a monk. That way he wouldn't feel that void.

lol imagine editing your posts, gnosticmind. Calling the board crazy incel nutjobs apart from Ceisiwr and Coëmgenu isn't a good look :rofl: I've been lurking this thread and you seem like a bad actor.
Liking this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is_Z2K7guKs would make me a communist sympathizer in your eyes.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

greentea wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 am I think the venerable should have lived a full layman life before becoming a monk. That way he wouldn't feel that void.
That might have been a better plan. I heard a seasoned abbot once say that monks who ordain too young often feel that they are "missing out" what young people online now call FOMO (fear of missing out). A person who has already gone through that, kids grown up, perhaps a divorce or two and then they are ready for monasticism with all the clutter behind them.
Jgood

Post by Jgood »

--
Last edited by Jgood on Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jgood

Post by Jgood »

DNS wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:15 pm
If Hitler said the earth is a sphere and we agreed with him on this, that wouldn't make us Nazis.
O contraire! :rofl: https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/04/12 ... relations/
frank k

Post by frank k »

TLDNR;

I did read the two posts from Ajahn P's blog explaining why he's disrobing.
Could someone more familiar with his other biographical details summarize some of the of the background information that aren't mentioned?
It sounds like a Mahasi Sayadaw type of vipassana lineage following Vism.
He mentions having some deep meditation experiences a few times in his life, but lost that ability a few years ago.
I'm guessing it's probably a high quality Vism. access concentration and occasional appana samadhi, but he didn't specifiy.
I'm interested in this from the point of view of it's always tragic to me when a monastic, especially a long term one, disrobes.
So what can we learn from this? What didn't work and why?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

frank k wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:17 pm TLDNR;

I did read the two posts from Ajahn P's blog explaining why he's disrobing.
Could someone more familiar with his other biographical details summarize some of the of the background information that aren't mentioned?
It sounds like a Mahasi Sayadaw type of vipassana lineage following Vism.
He mentions having some deep meditation experiences a few times in his life, but lost that ability a few years ago.
I'm guessing it's probably a high quality Vism. access concentration and occasional appana samadhi, but he didn't specifiy.
I'm interested in this from the point of view of it's always tragic to me when a monastic, especially a long term one, disrobes.
So what can we learn from this? What didn't work and why?
I read long back that noble person even if they lose jhana they won't go mad but puthujana can... im not commenting on anybody but I read it long back but unable to trace it but if u can let me know where I saw that
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I missed all this. I have been taking a break from the internet as part of an exercise in renunciation, so have only just learned that Paññobhāsa is disrobing.

This last blog post of his explains where the money to support his minimalist lay life is coming from, and gives a good summary of his reasons. Like others have said, I hope he continues with his blog. Without getting embroiled in pointless arguments about the extent to which accepting and approving some of his ideas constitutes an endorsement for everything he has ever said or done, I have really enjoyed some of his posts. I have bookmarked them and return to them quite often. That's probably more true of his older blog than his later offerings.. He is a really interesting character. A formidable intellect, widely read, and very insightful in an off-beat sort of way. And completely honest, which is a rarity.

I hope he finds happiness.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I disagree with pretty much everything you said about him and believe it is a great benefit to the samgha that he is leaving it. This could be one of the best things he has ever done IMO.
What is the Uncreated?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 pm samgha
what is a "samgha"? :shrug:
GnosticMind wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:47 pm I know what many Sangha think of this board -- I have heard it from them directly.
How can one with non-Buddhist language constructs know many Sangha? Personally, i am not exactly an "insider" on this board and i find this board a reasonable board. Instead of posting unsubstantiated comments about a certain "Sangha", what don't you list the objections this "Sangha" has towards Dhamma Wheel? Thanks :thanks:
GnosticMind wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:20 pm Phairos wrote,

"The Buddhist Ideals are clearly democratic, and we shouldn't be blinded by perversions of them of modern Buddhists." ( G.P. Malalasekera)

At last -- some straightforward sanity on the thread amongst all the apologists, evaders and dog whistlers.
Sounds like nonsense. How can a community that follows 227 set unchanging rules be "democratic"? Singhalese zealots are similar to Zionist zealots, who declare they have a "democracy" in the Middle-East. When the Nazis received the greatest portion of German votes, Germany was a democracy.
sphairos wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:07 pm In reality the Buddha didn't leave a successor and imagined as an ideal free classless society, i.e. democracy in the broad meaning of the term. This was his Realpolitik.
Sounds very imaginary, to the point of utter nonsense.
sphairos wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:07 pmIf he was a monarchist he would have said it openly and appointed a Sangharājā for the Order.
The Order was classless (AN 8.19) because all followed unified Vinaya (which prohibited pandaka from entering) and because the goal of the Sangha was to eradicate "jati" ("identity"). But the worldly society was not classless to the Buddha. The suttas (SN 6.11; SN 21.11; MN 53; AN 11.10; DN 27) say the Buddha said the aristocrat/warrior class was the supreme caste.
Bundokji wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 pm Part 3

https://politicallyincorrectdharma.blog ... us_28.html

I wish him best of luck :heart:
He has a love interest. Very rare for a monk to disrobe without a love interest.
3. I have always been red-bloodedly heterosexual by nature, celibacy has been my sorest trial as a monk, and I do not want to spend the rest of my life without a mate whom I love and can actually touch. And I already know who she is, she is adorable and fits with me very sweetly, we wish to share our lives intimately with each other, and being a monk forbids very strictly anything along those lines. Long ago I made the resolution, even a public promise, that if I wanted to touch a woman romantically ever again I would disrobe first, and I very much would like to touch this one. (We have known each other for years and no, we have not yet touched each other physically as yet.)
:alien:
Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 pm This could be one of the best things he has ever done IMO.
Its irrelevant; won't change anything, much, because it was nothing much to begin with.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

DooDoot wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:08 am
Coëmgenu wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:18 pmsamgha
what is a "samgha"? :shrug:
Don't be ignorant, DooDoot.
What is the Uncreated?