Paññobhasa's reflections

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Paññobhasa's reflections

Post by Sam Vara »

David Reynolds has finally ceased being a monk. Here are his first reflections on the differences between the monastic and the lay life:
http://politicallyincorrectdharma.blogs ... msara.html
...the notion that being a monk is superior to not being one. The Buddhist texts certainly do imply that, and occasionally just flat-out assert it. Then again, any religious system asserts its own superiority, regardless of what it might be; and those same texts also warn that being a bad monk is worse, and more dangerous from a karmic point of view, than being a bad or mediocre layman.

But some people would like somebody to live up to the ideals that they believe in but are unable or just unwilling to live up to. It is good, and comforting, to believe that there are saints and sages in this world. Still, being a monk, or rather being a good one, is not easy, and most people simply don’t have it in them to be one. Anyhow, I am moved to make a somewhat rambling response to all this.
(The post is broader than that, so would Mods please feel free to move it if you think I have put this in the wrong section...)
DooDoot

Re: Paññobhasa's reflections

Post by DooDoot »

the amount of 'noise' that is commonly made by high profile monks who disrobe (eg. Khantipalo, Santikaro, etc) appears to demonstrate their unsuitably for a life of solitude.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

It's cool, I enjoyed the read. Good luck to him on his new leg of the journey.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

He identifies himself as a samanera, so he still upholds the ten precepts? Does that make him a lay Buddhist?

Either way, in terms of character, he probably sees himself as an outsider (at least this is what is written on his blog). I am not sure if this is going to change by disrobing.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Bundokji wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:42 am He identifies himself as a samanera, so he still upholds the ten precepts? Does that make him a lay Buddhist?
Not really. Sāmaṇeraship is a kind of limbo state, which in early Buddhism seems to have been occupied exclusively by juveniles who wanted to be bhikkhus but weren't yet old enough. Since a sāmaṇera "has gone forth" (pabbajjita) he is never referred to as a householder, but since he's "not yet fully accepted" (anupasampanna) he is never referred to as sangha and doesn't participate in transactions of the sangha.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)