Why many buddist vihara , temple or association do not have a proper building ?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
asahi

Why many buddist vihara , temple or association do not have a proper building ?

Post by asahi »

It seems many so called buddhist temple , vihara or association do not plan properly to acquire (purchase) a strategic location or place or forethought to build a proper building to accomodate its buddhists audience and to conduct certain dhamma activities . Instead they bought the commercial shoplots property and buildings or even borrows non buddhist premises and rents some hotel concourses or restaurants banquet halls to conduct meditation , dhamma classes and activities . We monastics and buddhists should take note to reflect so that can have a suitable place to enable us to carry out any dhamma assembly in the long run . If you look at the muslim mosque the hall is very spacious . Thoughts ?
No bashing No gossiping
SarathW

Re: Why many buddist vihara , temple or association do not have a proper building ?

Post by SarathW »

To do that you have to have a dedicated group of people with a vision for the future. Buying a property via a bank loan for an association is difficult without the personal guarantee of the members. Muslims are getting big donations from wealthy middle east people.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Re: Why many buddist vihara , temple or association do not have a proper building ?

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

I cannot speak for how these things go outside of America, but here very often its a matter of starting from basically nothing and building up from there. By the time there are what most people would consider a legit " temple" there was already a large base of support to get to that point.

Most places start out in a small house in a residential area, and build up from there, their growth limited to the size of the supporting community. The only exception I've seen here is Thai Forest, if the monk has a good lineage and is fairly well known, then its a matter of finding a spot and building, the support will be there.

I am actually planning now, at 5 years as a monk, the process of starting my own little place in another state within the next 3-4 years. I agree with the OP that it is something that does need plenty of forethought, planning, and a vision, to do it right. Things like location are important among many others. My plan is to start small close to large population centers, build a base of support, and eventually if the support is there to start a forest monastery , retreat center and all that out away from civilization in the mountains.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Even the Thai Forest Sangha did not have it handed to them on a plate.

The English Sangha Trust has a long history going back way before Ajahn Sumedho arrived at the Hampstead Vihāra, and when that was sold to purchase Chithurst House it was far from looking like a monastery. The early members of the Thai Forest Saṅgha worked hard for decades to get to where it is now.

Amaravati was not built from scratch either. A lot of work had to be done to make it habitable. Only later, were the custom-built Dhamma halls built.

Honour Thy Fathers by Terry Shine tells the story of the EST.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What I have seen is it takes about 30 years to build a functioning temple from scratch to never finish. :D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”