Keep away from Mahamuna sect in Sri Lanka?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Keep away from Mahamuna sect in Sri Lanka?

Post by SarathW »

There is continued opposition building up against the Sri Lankan Mahmeuna sect lead by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero.
Some of the accusations are:
1) Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero introduces rites and rituals based on his former religion Roman Catholicism.
2) Reject the teaching of Abhidhamma and rejected six books from Kuddaka Nikaya
3) He manipulates translations to suit his purpose. For example, removing the introduction from Malinda Panna. His Tipitaks translation is poor translation work.
4) Removing Sri Lankan cultural ceremonies. Basically, the accusation is that he is removing Sri Lankan cultural ceremonies and substitute them with ceremonies based on Roman Catholicism.
5) His association with underworld thugs.

The above was taken from a Videon in the Sinhalese language so I did not publish the link here.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BrokenBones

Re: Keep away from Mahamuna sect in Sri Lanka?

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:02 pm There is continued opposition building up against the Sri Lankan Mahmeuna sect lead by Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero.
Some of the accusations are:
1) Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero introduces rites and rituals based on his former religion Roman Catholicism.
2) Reject the teaching of Abhidhamma and rejected six books from Kuddaka Nikaya
3) He manipulates translations to suit his purpose. For example, removing the introduction from Malinda Panna. His Tipitaks translation is poor translation work.
4) Removing Sri Lankan cultural ceremonies. Basically, the accusation is that he is removing Sri Lankan cultural ceremonies and substitute them with ceremonies based on Roman Catholicism.
5) His association with underworld thugs.

The above was taken from a Videon in the Sinhalese language so I did not publish the link here.
I see no problem in point 2 & the example you give for point 3 and parts of point 4... as for the rest...

Are these just wild accusations or is there any evidence?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I see no problem in point 2
I see a big problem here.
I will not keep any monk who rejects Abhidhamma as my teacher even though I read and listen to them.
In my opinion, it is not worth listening to a monk who rejects Abhidhamma if you need a deep understanding of Buddhism.
It is OK not to teach Abhidhamma. The problem here is his rejection of Abhidhamma.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

are these just wild accusations or is there any evidence?
These accusations are compiled by a most informed blind Sri Lankan journalist by Mr. Indika Totawatta.
Indika declared himself as a Mahayana follower but his Tipitaka knowledge is second to none.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Instead of listing accusations against a monk we may or may not know, with accusations which may or may not be true (or have any basis in reality), how about some information about the actual facts or relevance to your practice? Otherwise this is just gossip.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

the example you give for point 3 and parts of point 4... as for the rest...
I see a problem with monks who are trying to tinker with the Tipitaka.
It is OK to have personal opinions but you have to keep the Tipitaka intact whether it is right or wrong.
Just imagine that I became a very influential monk and I do not like particular aspects of Tipitaka and re-write the way I feel that right.
I can write my own book to criticise Tipitaka but I have no right to translate Tipitaka the way I feel right.
Last edited by SarathW on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:59 pm Instead of listing accusations against a monk we may or may not know, with accusations which may or may not be true (or have any basis in reality), how about some information about the actual facts or relevance to your practice? Otherwise, this is just gossip.
Agree.
But when there is smoke there could be a fire.
So just be aware of this. You don't have to accept my post.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

So we are to take the word of a Mahayana journalist? No ulterior motive there 🤣

I've read an article from another Sri Lankan journalist who promises to dish the dirt on the Venerable but then just fills his article with hate and bile with no facts to back up his hatred.

The one 'fact' I can verify about the Venerable is his rejection of the Abhidhamma... that seems to be a problem for a lot of Sri Lankan's... fine... I'm not going to dissuade people from their adherence to post Buddha teachings... but it shouldn't lead on to unsubstantiated slurs.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:02 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:59 pm Instead of listing accusations against a monk we may or may not know, with accusations which may or may not be true (or have any basis in reality), how about some information about the actual facts or relevance to your practice? Otherwise, this is just gossip.
Agree.
But when there is smoke there could be a fire.
So just be aware of this. You don't have to accept my post.
Pure tittle tattle and unbecoming to make accusations without any evidence.

Monks should always be scrutinised but it's best if the scrutiny is honest and done in good faith.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So we are to take the word of a Mahayana journalist? No ulterior motive there 🤣
You never know the motives of people.
So make up your own mind.
:tongue:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Monks should always be scrutinised but it's best if the scrutiny is honest and done in good faith.
I personally won't keep him as my teacher.
I have concerns about him for a long time.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:17 pm
I personally won't keep him as my teacher.
I have concerns about him for a long time.
And that is your perfect right.

But posting unsubstantiated slurs is not really on.

There are a few monks (past & present) who I have very little faith in (mainly due to their commentarial teachings)... but their conduct is beyond reproach... so I don't look to attack them by making up nonsense... only their teachings.
4GreatHeavenlyKings

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

Is he alleged to be a crypto-Catholic?

Not that the other allegations are not serious as well, of course.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 am Is he alleged to be a crypto-Catholic?

We don't know... it's just Sri Lankan sangha/political tittle tattle... unless there is any evidence?

How is a refusal to accept Abhidhamma a 'serious' allegation?

The Buddha specifically asked his disciples to follow the suttas and vinaya.

There are many monks who don't accept Abhidhamma... even more who accept it without ever reading it or even the suttas(maybe one or two suttas at best)... the Visuddhimagga is their book of choice.

Should they no longer be regarded as Theravāda monks?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BrokenBones wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:31 am
4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:06 am Is he alleged to be a crypto-Catholic?

We don't know... it's just Sri Lankan sangha/political tittle tattle... unless there is any evidence?

How is a refusal to accept Abhidhamma a 'serious' allegation?

The Buddha specifically asked his disciples to follow the suttas and vinaya.

There are many monks who don't accept Abhidhamma... even more who accept it without ever reading it or even the suttas(maybe one or two suttas at best)... the Visuddhimagga is their book of choice.

Should they no longer be regarded as Theravāda monks?
According to what Venerable Buddhaghosa wrote in The Expositor those monks who question the authority of the Abhidhamma should expelled, if I remember correctly.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”