Keep away from Mahamuna sect in Sri Lanka?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Re: Keep away from Mahamuna sect in Sri Lanka?

Post by SarathW »

Another important point I forgot to mention in the OP was that this monk putting the blame on the sculpture artist for creating the Buddha's image in Bahamian rocks! Not the terrorist who blew it up!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:22 am
BrokenBones wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:58 am
Nonsense. Abhidhamma is not referred to in the suttas the way you are trying to imply.
It is directly in the Vinaya. In the suttas we find the proto-Abhidhamma matika (matrix) being referred to:
In that case, friend Sariputta, listen to the Dhamma. Pay careful attention. I will speak.”

“As you say, friend,” Ven. Sariputta responded.

Ven. Ananda said, “There is the case, friend, where a monk masters the Dhamma: dialogues, narratives of mixed prose & verse, explanations, verses, spontaneous exclamations, quotations, birth stories, amazing events, question & answer sessions. He teaches the Dhamma in detail—as he has heard it, as he has remembered it—to others. He gets others to recite the Dhamma in detail—as they have heard it, as they have remembered it. He holds a group chanting of the Dhamma in detail—as he has heard it, as he has remembered it. He thinks about & evaluates the Dhamma as he has heard it, as he has remembered it; he contemplates it with his intellect. He enters the Rains in monasteries in which there are senior monks who are learned, who know the tradition, who are holders of the Dhamma, the Vinaya, & the Matika. Having approached them periodically, he questions them & quizzes them: ‘How it this, venerable sirs? What is the meaning of this?’ They make open for him what wasn’t open, make plain what wasn’t plain, dispel doubt on various doubtful points.
https://suttacentral.net/an6.51/en/thanissaro

There are also suttas which actually say “Abhidhamma”, but this seems to refer more to Q & A debates between monks and nuns. So, a proto Yamaka of sorts.
Perhaps you could briefly instruct me on its official origination.
It started as matikas and proto-commentaries in the Buddha’s time, possibly through Ven. Sariputta and the monks and nuns under his tutelage.
Grasping... the vinaya mention is an obviously late addition and contradicts what is stated elsewhere in the vinaya.

You haven't really informed me of its origination.

How was such a vast teaching so startling absent from the suttas?

If you would rather accept Buddhaghosa's words then that's fine.

Apparently the Buddha went to the wrong heaven to teach his mother and the Buddha broke his promise to Ananda by teaching the Abhidhamma to Sariputta and not Ananda.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BrokenBones wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:21 am
Grasping... the vinaya mention is an obviously late addition and contradicts what is stated elsewhere in the vinaya.
That wasn’t the Vinaya. It was a sutta. There are many more.

Because it wasn’t all of the books we have today. I just said it was proto-Abhidhamma. Matikas and proto-commentaries, like DN 33.
I can easily reply back with the eternalist Thanisarro :roll:
Apparently the Buddha went to the wrong heaven to teach his mother and the Buddha broke his promise to Ananda by teaching the Abhidhamma to Sariputta and not Ananda.
That’s the traditional account. As I’ve said, I agree with Ven. Bodhi and am much more in his camp.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 am As I’ve said, I agree with Ven. Bodhi and am much more in his camp.
Oh.
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:I also believe that the Commentaries take unnecessary risks when they try to read back into the Suttas ideas deriving from tools of interpretation that appeared perhaps centuries after the Suttas were compiled.
Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 am Greetings,
Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 am As I’ve said, I agree with Ven. Bodhi and am much more in his camp.
Oh.
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote:I also believe that the Commentaries take unnecessary risks when they try to read back into the Suttas ideas deriving from tools of interpretation that appeared perhaps centuries after the Suttas were compiled.
Metta,
A quote out of context doesn’t mean much, since I have no idea what he is referring to.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 am
BrokenBones wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:21 am
That wasn’t the Vinaya. It was a sutta. There are many more.

Because it wasn’t all of the books we have today. I just said it was proto-Abhidhamma. Matikas and proto-commentaries, like DN 33.
I can easily reply back with the eternalist Thanisarro :roll:
That’s the traditional account. As I’ve said, I agree with Ven. Bodhi and am much more in his camp.
I was referring to the mention in the vinaya.

The sutta you hold dear as proof, proves nothing.

Is Thanissaro an eternalist? I'll have to read up on his teachings 😀 or maybe not... I certainly appreciate his talks on jhana... baby & bath water.

As for the 'traditional account'... I thought the whole argument was about the 'Theravada' tradition... you seem to pick and choose what bits of the Theravada tradition you hold to.

At least I'm upfront about what I reject.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

BrokenBones wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:36 am
I was referring to the mention in the vinaya.
I see. It could be late, yes. Then again perhaps not.
The sutta you hold dear as proof, proves nothing.
It shows how the Abhidhamma developed. It started with matikas and proto-commentaries. Even Sujato and Analaylo argue this.
Is Thanissaro an eternalist? I'll have to read up on his teachings 😀 or maybe not... I certainly appreciate his talks on jhana... baby & bath water.
This is news to you? :? So it seems you rely entirely upon your own ill-informed opinion then. If not, then I can easily reply to your original remark with whomever it is you get guidance from.
As for the 'traditional account'... I thought the whole argument was about the 'Theravada' tradition... you seem to pick and choose what bits of the Theravada tradition you hold to.

At least I'm upfront about what I reject.
So am I, but unlike some fools I don’t reject things I’ve never read nor studied properly.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:31 am Greetings,
Oh.
Metta,
I think Bhikkhu Bodhi is being very charitable and diplomatic with the words he uses here...
I could use a few of my own but this is a family forum.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

[No Buddhist country in the world has a continuous lineage of Arahants. Nor is there a generation of remaining successful monks. For this reason, yogis who meditate with the intention of attaining results are more likely to be deceived in various ways. It is not the fault of the yogis who sincerely practice the Dhamma. It is a harm to give priority to personal guidance instead of giving priority to Dhamma and discipline which is the Shastra Sasana./quote]

Translation of the Sinhalese article below from his website.

https://mahamevnawa.lk/magaphala/

So he promotes accumulating merits.
Do not be afraid of merit
https://mahamevnawa.lk/do-not-be-afraid-of-merit/
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The presenter of the video about this OP was taken to the Criminal Investigation arm of Sri Lanka for questioning.
Now it has become a political issue that the American-backed NGOs are behind the Mahmeuna movement. :shrug:
4GreatHeavenlyKings

Post by 4GreatHeavenlyKings »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 am The presenter of the video about this OP was taken to the Criminal Investigation arm of Sri Lanka for questioning.
Now it has become a political issue that the American-backed NGOs are behind the Mahmeuna movement. :shrug:
Which American NGOs? And what is the investigation about?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:15 pm
SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 am The presenter of the video about this OP was taken to the Criminal Investigation arm of Sri Lanka for questioning.
They did not mention the details of the NGO.
Someone has complained to the police that the content in the video was inaccurate.
There will be a court proceeding soon based on the investigation.
BrokenBones

Post by BrokenBones »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:36 pm
4GreatHeavenlyKings wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:15 pm
They did not mention the details of the NGO.
Someone has complained to the police that the content in the video was inaccurate.
There will be a court proceeding soon based on the investigation.
Who is 'they'?

Do you have a link?

The content in the video? Are you suggesting that a police investigation was launched because of rejecting the Abhidhamma and refusing to perform funeral rites & rituals?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Moderator note.

There seem to be two topics in this thread.

The first is about Mahamevnawa and Ven. Kiribathgoda Gnanananda, and is, as has been noted, apparently based on gossip or aversion.

The other is a more general discussion about the place and validity of the Abhidhamma.

If people want to focus on the second, Abhidhamma topic, it can be split and hopefully stay relevant. But it seems to be veering into the first topic again, which is entirely unsubstantiated allegation and gossip against a movement and a particular monk. Please could people desist from this? We can then think about separating out the useful posts.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

@SarathW

Before you get all the Abhidhamma/Commentary nescients on your head, please listen to the first video in the following playlist(Which is an audiobook of Ven Gnanananda Thero's translation of the Dhammapada). You can listen for your self the Venerables introduction to this book and his views on atleast the commentaries.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!