The sensual desire for monks?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It is very common to hear in videos, some Sri Lankan monks are openly declared, that it is Ok to live in luxurious temples and use expensive vehicles, mobile telephones as far as they are not attached to them. Not only that these monks are disparaging the other monks who refuse these sorts of luxries!
I wonder how the following sutta applies to this. Is this sutta only apply for sexual intercourse by monks or this applies to all types of sensual pleasures?
Arittha's Wrong View
2. Now on that occasion a monk called Arittha, formerly of the vulture killers, had conceived this pernicious view: "There are things called 'obstructions'[1] by the Blessed One. As I understand his teaching, those things are not necessarily obstructive for one who pursues them."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... html#fnt-1

I just came up with this question after listening to the following video.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Dhamma Chameleon

Re: The sensual desire for monks?

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

If this were true, why did the Buddha put such emphasis on renunciation?
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am
It is very common to hear in videos, some Sri Lankan monks are openly declared, that it is Ok to live in luxurious temples and use expensive vehicles, mobile telephones as far as they are not attached to them. Not only that these monks are disparaging the other monks who refuse these sorts of luxries!
This is a common thing said by charlatans from many schools of Buddhism.
Bunks

Post by Bunks »

I think the mobile phone question is an interesting one.

I know here in Australia (where lay support is limited) some of the monks need a mobile phone to contact, for example, a builder if they are managing the construction of a new kuti or sangha house on the property.

Also, they're often travelling alone without money so need a phone to contact someone if help is required.
Stop thinking and start living!
yinyangkoi

Post by yinyangkoi »

It depends on your mind. You can also get attached to a specific fruit or food you get from alms. If you use the phone as a tool when you need it, like a hammer or a bowl, I think it's not a problem. If you use it gratify sensual desires for sound or sight, I think you shouldn't.
BKh

Post by BKh »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:20 am videos
I mean this sincerely and compassionately, but I think you watch too many videos. I'd recommend renouncing YouTube. :console:
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote:some Sri Lankan monks are openly declared, that it is Ok to live in luxurious temples and use expensive vehicles, mobile telephones as far as they are not attached to them.
Problem is, what metrics are there to accurately determine how much non-attachments those monks have attained AFTER having been exposed to the kind of lifestyles with luxurious temples, expensive vehicles, smart phones, etc.? Remember Sila is designed, beside the obvious purpose of purifying the mind for the highest attainment, is also very much "preventive measures" put in place to prevent conditions/environments conducive to the breaking of precepts. If a temple for monks is built right across the street from an "adult entertainment" center, how much you're willing to bet that, faily soon, a minority (if not a majority) of monks will start using the "services" next door?