Ajahn Tui at Wat Vivek?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
nmjojola

Ajahn Tui at Wat Vivek?

Post by nmjojola »

Does anyone know of any information out there about what life is like or how things are ran at Wat Vivek in Thailand with Ajahn Tui?
erasemyself

Re: Ajahn Tui at Wat Vivek?

Post by erasemyself »

Hi there

I stayed there a couple of times in the late 90’s, about a month each time. It was pretty much a typical forest wat, alms round early in the morning and sweeping in the arvo. Apparently the Ajarn was adamant to maintain the forest wat tradition, so my guess is it’s still pretty much the same. Plenty of time for dedicated practice on yr own. Group sits seemed rare, sometimes A Tui gave Dhamma talks. There was an American monk there who was helpful, he spoke Lao but I heard he left. Whether there is another faring residing there I know not. If not you’d need to speak pretty good Lao, or at least Thai.

Basic kuti”s well spaced apart in the forest, no power or running water. A farang monk I met at Brahmavamso”s monastery gave me the address and I wrote asking permission in advance. Food was typical Lao fare, hot season is a killer and it can get pretty cold in cool season. I must say, I have very, very fond memories of the time I spent there. These recollections tempt me to drive up and visit him, maybe stay a while. I’ve often wondered how A Tui is, he must be getting on because he was about 60 when I was there. If you are well esstablished in your practice and independent then it would be ideal.

Cheers
EM