Beggar and a monk?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Beggar and a monk?

Post by SarathW »

Beggar and a monk?
I think we are living in a wonderful world.
What if all beggars and homeless people became monks?
We don't want to look after a beggar but we are quite happy to provide food, clothes, and shelter to a monk.
Are the monks professional beggars?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Pondera

Re: Beggar and a monk?

Post by Pondera »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:09 am Beggar and a monk?
We don't want to look after a beggar but we are quite happy to provide food, clothes, and shelter to a monk.
I pay taxes so that homeless people are fed. So, per say, I’m doing my part.

To answer your question,
Definition. Bhikkhu literally means "beggar" or "one who lives by alms".
The main difference between Buddhist bhikkhus and our run of the mill bhikkhus living on the street is drug use. Crack, Meth, and Heroin being the quickest and cheapest escapes from reality (nothing like the free one produced by Nirodha).
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The main difference between Buddhist bhikkhus and our run of the mill bhikkhus living on the street is drug use. Crack, Meth, and Heroin being the quickest and cheapest escapes from reality (nothing like the free one produced by Nirodha).
Actually, many former drug users have become monks in few Sri Lankan monasteries. (at least I know three)
Another temple starts a drug rehabilitation center in the temple for drug addicts with the support of the police.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Monks follows 227 vinaya. Can homeless people do this? :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:09 am Beggar and a monk?
The beggars in my country are mostly drenched in drugs and alcohol.
They're often in trouble with police for small crimes and intimidation.
They're often filthy, and smell bad.
The ones near me shout abuse, and seem to suffer terribly from mental illness.

This is different from a monk! The only thing monks and beggars have in common, is they don't have paying jobs.
Although, all beggars in NZ get at least $295 from the government every week. (Unless they're too insane to have access to their bank account.)

I guess bhikkhus go on alms-round sometimes, so in that one way, accepting food, they are similar.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Actually, I have watch tons of videos of the problem of homeless people.
I think we have to have a more sympathetic approach for them.
Do not surprise if one of us end their one day.
I agree drug and alcohol is the biggest issue but there are genuine cases.
The question is can you live with $295 per week paying rent and buy your food etc?

https://www.dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.p ... 89bfd05796
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am Actually, I have watch tons of videos of the problem of homeless people.
Perhaps the Abrahamic Christian religion teaches this :roll:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

AFAIK they don't "beg". Samanas just wander, and householders put things in their bowls.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:42 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:55 am Actually, I have watch tons of videos of the problem of homeless people.
Perhaps the Abrahamic Christian religion teaches this :roll:
So Buddha did not teach, Metta and Karuna?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:08 pm So Buddha did not teach, Metta and Karuna?
Unlikely the Buddha taught what you regard metta & karuna to be. The suttas often say the bhikkhu comes from a good home.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:33 am
SarathW wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:08 pm So Buddha did not teach, Metta and Karuna?
Unlikely the Buddha taught what you regard metta & karuna to be. The suttas often say the bhikkhu comes from a good home.
What about Angulimala?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:56 am What about Angulimala?
Sounds like mythology.
There is a robber on this road called Aṅgulimāla, a hunter, bloody-handed, bent on death and destruction, merciless to living creatures. Through him villages are depopulated and market towns are depopulated and country districts are depopulated. From his constant killing of people he wears a garland of fingers. This is a road, recluse, along which ten or twenty or thirty or forty men :roll: set out only after they have collected together, and even they are at the mercy of the robber Aṅgulimāla.”

Although formerly I could attack and seize a running elephant, I could attack and seize a running horse, I could attack and seize a running chariot :roll: , I could attack and seize a running deer, now I, although walking with all my strength, am not able to catch up with this recluse who is walking at an ordinary pace.

Angulimala Sutta

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Considering the fact Usain Bolt can run 50km per hour and the speed of a horse is 80km per hour, it is not far-fetched I suppose.
I would say Usain Bolt is running like a horse as an on looker.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

In the past, i came across the notion that monks should refuse meals that are offered to them inappropriately. Could anyone assist me in knowing what the term "appropriately" here means?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bundokji wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:47 pm In the past, i came across the notion that monks should refuse meals that are offered to them inappropriately. Could anyone assist me in knowing what the term "appropriately" here means?
If the monk aware of the killing of animal or kill the animal for his consumption, the monk will refuse the meat.