Has Anyone went to Wat Phu Khong Tong? What are the differences between the Dhammayuttika Nikaya and Maha Nikaya?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SilaSamadhi8

Has Anyone went to Wat Phu Khong Tong? What are the differences between the Dhammayuttika Nikaya and Maha Nikaya?

Post by SilaSamadhi8 »

Hi Dhamma Friends,

Since Sri Lanka and Myanmar are closed I would like to visit Ajahn Martin Piyadhammo's monastery in Udon Thani, Thailand and I've read that his tradition is Dhammayut.
First of all, If one ordains in the Dhammayut tradition what does this mean as opposed to ordaining in the Maha Nikaya tradition? I'm aware the "forest tradition" is composed of both of them right?
Also, has anyone went to Wat Phu Khong Tong? If yes, what did you think? What experience you had? I've been watching videos in his YouTube channel and was surprised to see he talks in a harsh way to the monks or the fact that they smoke cigarrettes in the monastery grounds.

:anjali:
JamesTheGiant

Re: Has Anyone went to Wat Phu Khong Tong? What are the differences between the Dhammayuttika Nikaya and Maha Nikaya?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Both those nikayas are respected ordinations, so you can't really go wrong there.

I know Dhammayut monasteries don't usually allow Mahanikaya bhikkhus to sit with them as a full bhikkhu, and instead sometimes treat them as novices! But they give re-ordination so the Mahanikaya bhikkhu can switch across quickly.
Mahanikaya monasteries don't have the same attitude, they're more welcoming.

I'm not sure this is based on any vinaya grounds, or if it's just a superiority complex.

Sorry i don't know anything about Wat Phu Khong Tong.
Best wishes!
mabw

Re: Has Anyone went to Wat Phu Khong Tong? What are the differences between the Dhammayuttika Nikaya and Maha Nikaya?

Post by mabw »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:01 pm But they give re-ordination so the Mahanikaya bhikkhu can switch across quickly.
Hi James! If a Mahanikaya monk reordains as a Dhammayut monk, what happens to the vassas he has spent in the former?
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

mabw wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 am Hi James! If a Mahanikaya monk reordains as a Dhammayut monk, what happens to the vassas he has spent in the former?
I've heard of two re-ordination cases where they did different things.
In one case an 8 or 9 vassa bhikkhu lost all his seniority and had to go sit with the freshly ordained bhikkhus. It would have been a good test of his humbleness!

In another case they somehow recognized all the years the re-ordained bhikkhu had already done, and let him sit with the senior bhikkhus. Maybe because he had a really super reputation or something.

The whole thing is weird, and snobby, but it works ok.
mabw

Post by mabw »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 am
I see. Thank you.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Its a bit misleading to ask for differences between the Maha Nikaya and Dhammayuttika. Maha Nikaya is actually just a term to refer to any Thai Theravada monks not within the Dhammayuttika Nikaya, so it might just be better to ask what is it like to visit or ordain at a Dhammayuttika temple. The Dhammayuttika is more generally strict, following the stricter rules required by the Thai prince that founded the order.

As Maha Nikaya takes up over 90% of the monks in Thailand and includes basically everyone who isnt Dhammayuttika, your experiences can vary from temple to temple quite a bit among the Maha Nikaya.

I've also heard of Dhammayuttika monks not allowing Maha nikaya monks to sit with them as JamestheGiant said. This could just be some kind of Thai royal custom or something since they are the "royal" order, or yeah maybe a superiority complex from the Thai gov and monarchy giving them special treatment all the time.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
SilaSamadhi8

Post by SilaSamadhi8 »

So, if I ordain in the Dhammayuttika nikaya I won't be allowed into 90% of the monasteries in Thailand?
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

SilaSamadhi8 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:00 pm So, if I ordain in the Dhammayuttika nikaya I won't be allowed into 90% of the monasteries in Thailand?
No. Maha nikaya generally doesn't care. But dhammayut doesn't let Maha nikaya stay over. So if you ordain in the Maha nikaya you won't be allowed to stay over at 5-6% of monasteries (the dhammayut ones). But it's not the other way around. if you ordain at dhammayut, Maha nikaya will generally let you stay over.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
may.all.bliss

Post by may.all.bliss »

I see it's not closed but you have to get your visa before arrival https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/coporat ... detail/525

edit, nevermind, this is shown as an emergency notice when visiting the site:
1. All nationals are allowed except countries mentioned in alert no.11 to enter Sri Lanka with an online ETA for the purpose of tourism. Accordingly, ETA applicants are strictly advised to follow the instructions below during the application process.

tourism visa can't be extended if I remember correctly, so indeed Sri Lanka is off limits it seems..