What is the meaning of Brhamavamso and Brahmali?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

How the names are chosen for Buddhist monks?
Can I call myself Venatable Sarath if I become a monk?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: What is the meaning of Brhamavamso and Brahmali?

Post by Sam Vara »

Vamsa means "lineage", or "race" (of people). So my guess is that Brahmavamso means "Of the lineage of Brahma".

In the Forest Sangha that I am familiar with, names are chosen according to the day of the week one ordains. Apparently, if a monk really feels uneasy with the name he is given, he can "appeal" and change it.
DiamondNgXZ

Re: What is the meaning of Brhamavamso and Brahmali?

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

SarathW wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:11 am How the names are chosen for Buddhist monks?
Can I call myself Venatable Sarath if I become a monk?
Teachers usually choose the name. Part of why we have Pali names is for the ease of ordination ceremony, where the monks who ordains you have to know how to alter the ending of the names in their chantings. Pali is the natural way to alter it, as it's hard to imagine them using chinese name or english name and try to use Pali grammar on it. If they want to use a standard Pali name, it could be troublesome when it's time for you to take a disciple of your own.

You can certainly request the teacher if you got some preferences for the Pali name. However, that's some attachment!

Anyway your lay name can still be used. Like you can be called Bhikkhu (surname). Or Ajahn (name). There are some monks who use their lay name too. Even in Buddha's time, you see the monks doesn't get new names when they ordain.