Best age to be a monk?

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.

Best age to be a monk?

20+
52%
30+
39%
40+
No votes
50+
9%

Total votes: 23

Ontheway

Best age to be a monk?

Post by Ontheway »

What is the best time to be a monk?
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

https://suttacentral.net/ja6/en/chalmer ... ight=false
JamesTheGiant

Re: Best age to be a monk?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

All ages are good! Best time is right now!

I know monks who have ordained in their late 60s and they are doing well.

But the BEST age? Maybe late 20s, early 30s? Old enough to have experienced the world properly, but young enough to have energy for long practise.

I have met some young people in their late teens and early 20s intending to ordain, and they generally don't stay long. Too restless maybe, and they have not much experience of life.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Best time is 10 years ago, second best time is now.

But in actuality, i would say 20s is the best age to be a monk in general (since that is the earliest age you can recieve the higher ordination). It is also better because you are less likely to suffer from age related health problems which would hinder your practice so you can progress without health issues getting in the way. But in actuality, like many things in Buddhism, i think its a case by case basis that depends on the individual, for some people they are too mentally distracted in thier 20s or would seriously benefit from some real world layperson experience so maybe a later age is better for those people.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is a good question.
I always object to children's ordination. However, there are pros and cons to this.
If you want to be a very knowledgeable (Tipitaka, Pali, etc) monk it is better to be a monk at a young age.
The problem of ordination young people is the lack of life experience.
The most important perhaps is the sexual experience. Many monks disrobe for a woman.
Considering the fact that Buddha is not alive and the Dhamma is scattered I think the best time to marry is with some life experience.
I voted 30 plus.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bhikkhu_Jayasara

Post by Bhikkhu_Jayasara »

whatever age they develop enough wisdom and insight that will allow them to whether the ups and downs, stay ordained, and thrive in the holy life.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bhikkhu Jayasāra -http://www.youtube.com/studentofthepath and https://maggasekha.org/
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

I always have urge to be a monk. I'm now 29 years old. But I think it would be irresponsible to leave my old aged parents behind now. Better I will be with them at this time of uncertainty.

If I become a Theravada monk in the future, I will not be actively participate in public talks, video talks or temple activities, rather I will devote myself to some Dhutanga practices and meditation.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ontheway wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:23 am I always have urge to be a monk. I'm now 29 years old. But I think it would be irresponsible to leave my old aged parents behind now. Better I will be with them at this time of uncertainty.

If I become a Theravada monk in the future, I will not be actively participate in public talks, video talks or temple activities, rather I will devote myself to some Dhutanga practices and meditation.
Meanwhile, you can do a lot of groundwork as a layperson.
Study Tipitaka, learn Pali, and observe eight precepts.
Many monks are using cash nowadays so you can be practice at home very close to being a monk except observing Vinaya rules.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

SarathW wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:00 am
Ontheway wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:23 am I always have urge to be a monk. I'm now 29 years old. But I think it would be irresponsible to leave my old aged parents behind now. Better I will be with them at this time of uncertainty.

Meanwhile, you can do a lot of groundwork as a layperson.
Study Tipitaka, learn Pali, and observe eight precepts.
Many monks are using cash nowadays so you can be practice at home very close to being a monk except observing Vinaya rules.
Yes, I do practice 8 precepts quite frequent (even I'm not in temple). I am used to the "no meal afternoon" and "no entertainment".
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Ontheway wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:12 am What is the best time to be a monk?
IMHO, the earlier the better because you never know how long you have to live. All of us can die at any time. As one ages the body and mind are less and less capable, have less and less energy, and learning new things becomes harder and harder...

If one ordains at 20, and soon disrobes, one can re-ordain a bit later. But one cannot travel back in time when one was young...
Last edited by Alex123 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Alex123 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:49 pm
Ontheway wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:12 am What is the best time to be a monk?
IMHO, as soon as you are ready. The earlier the better because you never know how long you have to live. All of us can die at any time.

Furthermore, as one ages the body and mind are less and less capable, less and less energy, and learning new things becomes harder and harder...
Thanks for the advice. :anjali:
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

ANG1509

Post by ANG1509 »

It is wrong to think that a young person is by default less ready to dedicate themselves to the monk life. On the contrary: the younger a person is, the less rubbish they'll need to clear out from their mind before they can truly get started with the practice.

Spending more time in the world, especially if it involves doing things which contradict the ethos of a monastic (or worse, of a highly virtuous layman) cannot somehow put you in a better position to live the monastic life, let alone reap its benefits. That's like saying that keeping a piece of wood in the water for longer makes it easier to dry it out afterward. (See MN 36, wet wood simile).

The reason why older people could be more prepared for monastic life is Not because of the worldly and often unskillful experiences they've accumulated over the years, but rather because they sometimes (not always) have more perspective of their existence and of their dukkha (the basis for all Dhamma practice).

And that perspective is acquired through authentic and careful examination of one's perilous situation in saṃsāra, which often creates a certain anxiety (saṃvega, see below sutta), and this can make it feel like ordination is simply not optional. And if one remains heedful, that feeling would likely persist throught one's monastic life.

MN 29:

“...Bhikkhus, here some clansman goes forth out of faith from the home life into homelessness, considering: ‘I am a victim of birth, ageing, and death, of sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair; I am a victim of suffering, a prey to suffering. Surely an ending of this whole mass of suffering can be known...’"

If a young person can successfuly carry out that examination and take action early (i.e. ordain), the better off they will be without those additional wordly experiences, the majority of which would likely do little else than strengthen the very defilements that could one day press them to return to worldly life. Any practical advantages of a longer lay-life are trifle in light of that possible danger, Plus the billion things that could unexpectedly go wrong if a person decides to wait.
Last edited by ANG1509 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

ANG1509 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:33 pm It is wrong to think that a young person is by default less ready to dedicate themselves to the monk life. On the contrary: the younger a person is, the less rubbish they'll need to clear out from their mind before they can truly get started with the practice.

Spending more time in the world, especially if it involves doing things which contradict the ethos of a monastic (or worse, of a highly virtuous layman) cannot somehow put you in a better position to live the monastic life, let alone reap its benefits. That's like saying that keeping a piece of wood in the water for longer makes it easier to dry it out afterward. (See MN 36, wet wood simile).

The reason why older people could be more prepared for monastic life is Not because of the worldly and often unskillful experiences they've accumulated over the years, but rather because they sometimes (not always) have more perspective of their existence and of their dukkha (the basis for all Dhamma practice).

And that perspective is acquired through authentic and careful examination of one's perilous situation in saṃsāra, which often creates a certain anxiety (saṃvega, see below sutta), and this can make it feel like ordination is simply not optional. And if one remains heedful, that feeling would likely persist throught one's monastic life.

MN 29:

“...Bhikkhus, here some clansman goes forth out of faith from the home life into homelessness, considering: ‘I am a victim of birth, ageing, and death, of sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair; I am a victim of suffering, a prey to suffering. Surely an ending of this whole mass of suffering can be known...’"

If a young person can successfuly carry out that examination and take action early (i.e. ordain), the better off they will be without those additional wordly experiences, the majority of which would likely do little else than strengthen the very defilements that could one day press them to return to worldly life. Any practical advantages of a longer lay-life are trifle in light of that possible danger, Plus the billion things that could unexpectedly go wrong if a person decides to wait.
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Thanks for the advice.
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

Inedible

Post by Inedible »

70+ is good. You can study and meditate on your own. Save being a monk for when you are collecting a pension (or social security) and you don't have hormones anymore.
Ontheway

Post by Ontheway »

Inedible wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:57 am 70+ is good. You can study and meditate on your own. Save being a monk for when you are collecting a pension (or social security) and you don't have hormones anymore.
I don't think the Sangha nowadays will receive such old man hahaha
Hiriottappasampannā,
sukkadhammasamāhitā;
Santo sappurisā loke,
devadhammāti vuccare.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Bhikkhu_Jayasara wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:33 pm whatever age they develop enough wisdom and insight that will allow them to whether the ups and downs, stay ordained, and thrive in the holy life.
:goodpost:

Also, to become disenchanted, things need to lose their lustre. This won't necessarily happen merely by classifying them as 'forbidden fruit'.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."