winter

Discussion of ordination, the Vinaya and monastic life. How and where to ordain? Bhikkhuni ordination etc.
salayatananirodha

winter

Post by salayatananirodha »

are winter retreats part of the monastic code? i am seeing a lot of monasteries are not allowing residents until march or april
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
JamesTheGiant

Re: winter

Post by JamesTheGiant »

salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:05 am are winter retreats part of the monastic code? i am seeing a lot of monasteries are not allowing residents until march or april
Yes, 3-month winter retreats are a thing in the northern hemisphere.
The monasteries in Asia do their 3-month retreats in the rainy season, hence the term "vassa" or "rains retreat". The dates change each year but in asia it's about July-August-September-October.
It's not important what time of year, so in modern times we have changed the dates to the best time to be indoors.

Monks have to find a place to stay for the vassa, and usually determine to stay in the same place for the whole 3 months.
Monasteries don't do much manual work, and usually stop accepting guests until the end.
It's the best time of the monastic year, it's cold outside, cosy inside, everyone mediates lots and lots, it's a good time.