Are there any people who would like to meetup online?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
KeepCalm

Are there any people who would like to meetup online?

Post by KeepCalm »

Hi,

I wonder if there are any people who would like to meetup online to chat over zoom or even text-chat or something like that? I just feel like I need some people to talk to.
I try to keep 5 precepts and I try to take 8 precepts on poya days etc. I only really want to meet up with people who do the same.

I am going a bit mad on this lockdown.. I have no job.. everything feels lost some times I am getting depressed.. Apart from my elderly Mum (who I live at home with), It seems like there is no one much to talk to. I distanced myself from people who don't keep the precepts and now I don't know what to do.

Meditate I suppose.

Would anyone like to play a game of online chess or something like that.. anything?

Sorry if this is not appropriate for this forum.
The Kalyana-mitta you get might not be the Kalyana-mitta you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find you get what you need..
Inedible

Re: Are there any people who would like to meetup online?

Post by Inedible »

Your use of the word mum suggests you might be in England. This would have an effect on time zones for meeting up.
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Inedible wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:01 pm Your use of the word mum suggests you might be in England. This would have an effect on time zones for meeting up.
That is correct I am in the UK, near London.
The Kalyana-mitta you get might not be the Kalyana-mitta you want, but if you try sometimes, you might just find you get what you need..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi TM,

Do you not have any friends near where you live?

Have you considered investigating some Buddhist centres in or near to London?

With metta,

Aloka :anjali:
KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Most/Nearly all of the Western people (apart from Monks) I have ever met at 'Buddhist centres' near me all break the precepts one way or another. The Monks who live nearest me have all gone back to Sri-Lanka due to covids. I think a lot of the Sri-Lankans think I am an idiot or mental. I can't really go out anywhere to meet new people as my Mum is elderly and very vulnerable to covids and I don't want to bring it home for her.

I guess it doesn't matter I just feel a bit depressed these days I should probably just do some more Metta practice.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Tangent-Man wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:24 pm Most/Nearly all of the Western people (apart from Monks) I have ever met at 'Buddhist centres' near me all break the precepts one way or another.

I think the precepts are probably optional rather than compulsory for lay people, if one doesn't take them officially in a ceremony.

:anjali:
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

robertk hosts some Zoom meetings occasionally, check this thread:
https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.p ... 17#p585117
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Hi its amazing to hear that u avoid people who break precept. its good as it avoid negative vibes.

in buddhism u can approach dhamma by reading (in covid times) ... u can try metta or any other meditation daily basis.

u can have fun time too by playing non violent games.

or u can earn new real life skills by teaching yourself to invest in share market or something so u can make living too without going out of house. as long as there is YouTube u can learn many things. but best is to meditate and validate dependent origination and fix ur future 7 life at max

Also, ajhan suchart do online zoom meeting one or twice a week and u can join it. He is a monk of great character and high attainments (as far as I observe)
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hello again T-M,

There are online Zoom video meditation worshops, teachings, articles, books, and videos of talks available on the website of Amaravati Monastery UK. (Which is a fantastic place to visit if covid restrictions get lifted in the future).

https://www.amaravati.org/events/online ... n-zoom-2/#

KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Thanks for your suggestions and replies.

I have stayed at Amaravati a few times .. I try to go to the zoom chat every week :-)
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

Tangent-Man wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:26 pm I just feel like I need some people to talk to.
That's quite normal but needs to be overcome. Why? Because the noble path is an autonomous path. Nevertheless a worldly path isn't autonomous therefore you should seek a community in your neighborhood.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I forgot to mention earlier that we started a once weekly video/audio/text international group chat meeting at Buddhism Without Boundaries recently,but people have to be members of BWB to log into the website and join in. So far we've only had small groups attending, but there have been some lively chats.

If interested, check the "Daily Life" forum for further details in the "How about a Live Meeting" topic.

KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

OK thanks. I guess there is no point if Maha-Sangha isn't there...
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Tangent-Man wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:29 pm OK thanks. I guess there is no point if Maha-Sangha isn't there...
Maha- Sangha? Do you mean Dhamma teachers or monks ? That's not what you said in the OP, which was the following....
Tangent-Man wrote: I wonder if there are any people who would like to meetup online to chat over zoom or even text-chat or something like that? I just feel like I need some people to talk to.

Whatever, I was just trying to help. :shrug:

Have a nice day.

SABBE DHAMMA NALAM ABHINIVESAYA

:alien:

KeepCalm

Post by KeepCalm »

Sorry if I upset you.. I just reflected maybe it is best if Bhikhu / Bhikhuni Sangha is there to moderate things...