The Buddha's diet suggestions

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
zan

The Buddha's diet suggestions

Post by zan »

I have been eating strictly from 9am to 3pm. Zero calories outside that window. I am not hungry during the fasting period, and it is having many health benefits.

I'm sharing this because the Buddha suggested never eating past noon, and allowed eating in the morning, so possibly around six hours, like what I'm doing, and this is the closest I've come to that type of fast. I've always wondered if it would be doable, or healthy, and now I know that at least something very similar is both healthy and doable. I think this is possible evidence that the Buddha's eating guidelines are perfectly healthy, and perhaps much healthier than eating all day.

Monks get up earlier than most laypeople, so they might eat from 6am-12am, which might be the equivalent of a layperson eating from 9am-3pm

Exercise caution and ask your doctor before you engage in any new diet.

Here are several studies on this type of fasting, called early time restricted feeding or eTRF.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6627766/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32729615/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2535#bib24
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
JamesTheGiant

Re: The Buddha's diet suggestions

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Yes, Intermittent Fasting is very fashionable right now. Maybe this one is the true best diet!?

There are several diet books making $$$ by telling people to "eat like the Buddha". :jumping:
"Buddha's Diet: The Ancient Art of Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind"
41D-E2jkYhS.jpg
zan

Post by zan »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:51 am Yes, Intermittent Fasting is very fashionable right now. Maybe this one is the true best diet!?

There are several diet books making $$$ by telling people to "eat like the Buddha". :jumping:
"Buddha's Diet: The Ancient Art of Losing Weight Without Losing Your Mind"
Ha!
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

Just fasting routine, simple.
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."