Urine use

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
SarathW

Re: Urine use

Post by SarathW »

fecal microbiota transplant (FMT)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way seen the ugly in the beauty and the beauty in the ugly also a form of meditation.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Alexander____

Post by Alexander____ »

The reason other animals get nutrition from our waste products is that they have different bodies which are able to metabolise our waste products. The only reason I would ever drink my own urine would be in a state of extreme dehydration away from a water source. The only thing my body would take back would be water and salt I'd lost through sweating. I don't think it would be too keen on taking back the other waste products and these would be filtered back out by my kidneys.
samseva

Post by samseva »

SarathW wrote:fecal microbiota transplant (FMT)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy

By the way seen the ugly in the beauty and the beauty in the ugly also a form of meditation.
That's what I thought. Thanks to technology though, such a procedure would be by freeze-dried capsules.
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

Not by directly eating excrements.
In a natural lifestyle (as in people farming their own land, growing animals, etc), there will be normally some excrement contamination of all that is being eaten. Which apparently contributes to a healthy immune system and intestinal flora.

For some reasons, certain useful gut bacteria cannot be colonized through capsules.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Growing crops on excrement fertilized land is common even in developed countries.
You can buy excrement pallets as a fertilizer.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Mothers facing C-sections look to vaginal 'seeding' to boost their babies' health

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... microbiome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think we all eat lot of human excrement without even knowing about it.
Human excrement pass from one person to another by food preparation, shaking hands, using toilets, just general touch of articles used by other people such as pen and pencils. Not to mention certain sexual practices.
It is a common practice to recycle sewerage water in large cities.
All the human waste are pump to the ocean. We never bother to find how much waste materials in our water.
However I am not advocating deliberate consumption of human waste.
This is just an attempt to develop some equanimity towards the excrement.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Pinetree wrote:In a natural lifestyle (as in people farming their own land, growing animals, etc), there will be normally some excrement contamination of all that is being eaten. Which apparently contributes to a healthy immune system and intestinal flora.

For some reasons, certain useful gut bacteria cannot be colonized through capsules.
True, but it's very far off from a morning cup of fresh and steamy urine some health enthusiasts are trying to convince people that it is healthy for them.

Interesting fact, a surprisingly large amount of crops in North America are fertilized with recycled sewage waist. No ****, look it up. :smile:

**** = j-o-k-e (four letters) :lol:
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

SarathW wrote:Is cow urine a medicine?
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=URINE
:goodpost:
Mahādhamma­samādāna Sutta (MN 46) wrote: Suppose there were fermented urine [pūtimutta] mixed with various medicines, and a man came sick with jaundice, and they told him: ‘Good man, this fermented urine [pūtimutta] is mixed with various medicines. Drink from it if you want; as you drink from it, its colour, smell, and taste will not agree with you, but after drinking from it, you will be well.’ Then he drank from it after reflecting, and did not relinquish it. As he drank from it, its colour, taste, and smell did not agree with him, but after drinking from it, he became well. Similar to that, I say, is the way of undertaking things that is painful now and ripens in the future as pleasure.
Santuṭṭhi Sutta (AN 4.27) wrote:Putrid urine [pūtimutta] is a trifle among medicines, easily gained and blameless.
Anu­ruddha­ Mahā­vitak­ka Sutta (AN 8.30) wrote: When, Anuruddha, you reflect upon these eight thoughts of a great person and gain at will, without trouble or difficulty, these four jhānas that constitute the higher mind and are pleasant dwellings in this very life, then, while you dwell contentedly, your medicine of fermented cow’s urine [pūtimutta] will seem to you as various medicaments of ghee, butter, oil, honey, and molasses seem to a householder or a householder’s son; and it will serve for your delight, relief, and ease, and for entering upon nibbāna.
Bhesaj­jak­khan­dhaka wrote: Now at that time a certain monk was bitten by a snake. They told this matter to the Lord. He said: “I allow you, monks, to give the four great irregular things: (a decoction of) dung, urine [mutta], ashes, clay.” Then it occurred to the monks: “(May they be used) even if they are not (formally) received, or should they be (formally) received?” They told this matter to the Lord. He said: “I allow you, monks, to make use of them if someone to make them allowable is there (formally) to offer them to you; having taken them yourselves, if there is no one to make them allowable.”
[...]
Now at that time a certain monk had jaundice. “I allow you, monks, to make him drink (a compound of cow’s) urine [mutta] and yellow myrobalan.”
Mahā­kassa­pat­thera­gāthā wrote: Anyone who makes use of
Leftovers for food,
Putrid urine [pūtimutta] as medicine,
The root of a tree as lodging,
And rags from the rubbish-heap as robes,
Is at home in any direction.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

samseva wrote:The body uses much energy and effort to excrete the waste products from itself. Urine and feces are filled with matter that the body does not need or matter that is toxic to the body. Every cell excretes byproducts from whatever function that cell performs; these end up in the urine or the feces.

I think it's a good idea to trust our bodies' instinct of trying to get rid of these unwanted and even toxic substances and not go and chug it back down. :smile:
This of course isn't true as urine is in fact not "a waste product toxic to the body" and medical literature will confirm this. Urine is purified blood filtered through the kidneys and fermented urine is incredibly beneficial in that it is an easily available source of beneficial bacteria. I suggest you read the book "Your own perfect medicine" by Martha Christy. Why not give the Buddha and Ayurvedic medicine a chance what with being fully enlightened and being a medical tradition that has been around for more than 2500 years?
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

samseva wrote:
Pinetree wrote:In a natural lifestyle (as in people farming their own land, growing animals, etc), there will be normally some excrement contamination of all that is being eaten. Which apparently contributes to a healthy immune system and intestinal flora.

True, but it's very far off from a morning cup of fresh and steamy urine some health enthusiasts are trying to convince people that it is healthy for them.

Interesting fact, a surprisingly large amount of crops in North America are fertilized with recycled sewage waist. No ****, look it up. :smile:

**** = j-o-k-e (four letters) :lol:
But as you'll discover, urine is not a waste product of the body, but rather, an
extraordinarily valuable physiological substance that has been shown throughout
the history of medical science right up until today to have profound medical uses
that most of us know absolutely nothing about.
One of the first things we need to clear up is the common perception of urine -
urine is not what you think it is. As a matter of fact, you probably have no idea
what urine is or how your body makes it.
In reality, urine is not, as most of us believe, the excess water from food and
liquids that goes through the intestines and is ejected from the body. I know that
we generally think of urine in just this way - you eat and drink, the intestines
"wring" out the good stuff in the food, and the urine is the left-over, dirty waste
water that your body doesn't want, so it should never, ever be reintroduced back
into the body in any form - right? Wrong.
No matter how popular a conception this commonly shared scenario may be, it just
isn't true. Urine is not made in your intestines. Urine is made in and by your
kidneys. So what does this mean and why should it change the way you feel about
urine?
In layman's language, this is how and why urine is made in the body: When you
eat, the food you ingest is eventually broken down in the stomach and intestines
into extremely small molecules. These molecules are absorbed into tiny tubules in
the intestinal wall and then pass through these tubes into the bloodstream.
The blood circulates throughout your body carrying these food molecules and other
nutrients, along with critical immune defense and regulating elements such as red
and white blood cells, antibodies, plasma, microscopic proteins, hormones,
enzymes, etc., which are all manufactured at different locations in the body. The
blood continually distributes its load of life-sustaining elements throughout the
body, nourishing every cell and protecting the body from disease.
As it flows through the body, this nutrient-filled blood passes through the liver
where toxins are removed and later excreted from the body in the form of solid
waste. Eventually, this purified, "cleaned" blood makes its way to the kidneys.
When the blood enters the kidneys it is filtered through an immensely complex and
intricate system of minute tubules called nephron through which the blood is
literally "squeezed" at high pressure. This filtering process removes excess
amounts of water, salts and other elements in the blood that your body does not
need at the time.
These excess elements are collected within the kidney in the form of a purified,
sterile, watery solution called urine. Many of the constituents of this filtered watery
solution, or urine, are then reabsorbed by the nephron and delivered back into the
bloodstream. The remainder of the urine passes out of the kidneys into the bladder
and is then excreted from the body.
So, you say, the body's gotten rid of this stuff for a reason - so why would we want
to use it again? And here's the catch: The function of the kidneys is to keep the
various elements in your blood balanced. The kidneys do not filter out
important elements in the blood because those elements in themselves are
toxic or poisonous or bad for the body, but simply because the body did not
need that particular concentration of that element at the time it was excreted.
And medical researchers have discovered that many of the elements of the
blood that are found in urine have enormous medicinal value, and when they
are reintroduced into the body, they boost the body's immune defenses and
stimulate healing in a way that nothing else does.

Various elements are recycled throughout nature all the time. This isn't anything that should come as a surprise.
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Pinetree wrote:
it could even be argued that Jesus prompted his followers to make use of their urine:

"Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well. "

Proverbs 5:15
That doesn't belong to Jesus, comes from the Old Testament, at least 500 years earlier.

I found a translation that interprets this as a metaphor of wisdom coming from insight.

Also, if you read the whole chapter, it would be difficult to assume that all references to fountain, well, spring, water, refer to urine.
Helas my post was not originally intended for a Buddhist audience I just figured it convienient to copy and paste a past post of mine which held relevance to this discussion. And unfortunately I'm not all worried that I wrongly attributed a quote to Jesus, perhaps you might have chosen another statement of mine to argue so this discussion could have been fruitful.
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

And unfortunately I'm not all worried that I wrongly attributed a quote to Jesus, perhaps you might have chosen another statement of mine to argue so this discussion could have been fruitful.
A more important point is that the quote is not talking about urine but drinking plain water.

My concern was that if we have a statement, an argument used as building block to a discussion, it is preferable to have a sound, accurate argument. And if that's not the case, it is preferable to discard it.

Also, I think that making inaccurate statements will create a bad impression, maybe an impression of unreliability to the listeners/readers. One of the matters I dislike about the Internet is the spreading of misquotes and misunderstandings on various topics, from religion to healthcare to politics, etc.

And this isn't about you, I saw that quote suggesting that the bible teaches urine use quoted multiple times in various places.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

It appears camels urine was used as a medicine.

=========
Some people from the tribe of 'Ukl came to the Prophet and embraced Islam. The climate of Medina did not suit them, so the Prophet ordered them to go to the (herd of milch) camels of charity and to drink, their milk and urine (as a medicine). They did so, and after they had recovered from their ailment (became healthy) they turned renegades (reverted from Islam) and killed the shepherd of the camels and took the camels away. The Prophet sent (some people) in their pursuit and so they were (caught and) brought, and the Prophets ordered that their hands and legs should be cut off and that their eyes should be branded with heated pieces of iron, and that their cut hands and legs should not be cauterized, till they die.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 69#p368218" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
samseva

Post by samseva »

ihrjordan wrote:I suggest you read the book "Your own perfect medicine" by Martha Christy. Why not give the Buddha and Ayurvedic medicine a chance what with being fully enlightened and being a medical tradition that has been around for more than 2500 years?
From looking up Martha M. Christy, she seems to have no or little medical training or education. She is also a proponent of homeopathy, which is widely considered a pseudoscience by almost all of the medical and scientific professions. Moreover, a medical tradition being 2500 years old doesn't justify validity and efficacy at all (a fallacy), even less so a single and isolated treatment.

About the Buddha, he didn't drink his own urine out of wanting to get medicinal benefits from it during his more austere meditations (i.e., to be more healthy), but probably simply as a form of getting minimal amounts of water and nutrients to not die, which is a completely different situation. Regarding the Vinaya allowance for urine as medicine, much of this is due to the influence from medical practices at the time of the Buddha in India. There are also some situations where urine possibly does have medicinal benefits, but that isn't a reason to drink a steamy cup of it every morning.
ihrjordan wrote:As it flows through the body, this nutrient-filled blood passes through the liver
where toxins are removed and later excreted from the body in the form of solid
waste. Eventually, this purified, "cleaned" blood makes its way to the kidneys.
When the blood enters the kidneys it is filtered through an immensely complex and
intricate system of minute tubules called nephron through which the blood is
literally "squeezed" at high pressure. This filtering process removes excess
amounts of water, salts and other elements in the blood that your body does not
need at the time.
These excess elements are collected within the kidney in the form of a purified,
sterile, watery solution called urine. Many of the constituents of this filtered watery
solution, or urine, are then reabsorbed by the nephron and delivered back into the
bloodstream. The remainder of the urine passes out of the kidneys into the bladder
and is then excreted from the body.
So, you say, the body's gotten rid of this stuff for a reason - so why would we want
to use it again? And here's the catch: The function of the kidneys is to keep the
various elements in your blood balanced. The kidneys do not filter out
important elements in the blood because those elements in themselves are
toxic or poisonous or bad for the body, but simply because the body did not
need that particular concentration of that element at the time it was excreted.
And medical researchers have discovered that many of the elements of the
blood that are found in urine have enormous medicinal value, and when they
are reintroduced into the body, they boost the body's immune defenses and
stimulate healing in a way that nothing else does.

Various elements are recycled throughout nature all the time. This isn't anything that should come as a surprise.
This part would either make medical experts cringe or doesn't even make sense and doesn't add up at all even to the layman.