Dangers of Marijuana

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
mairuwen

Re: Dangers of Marijuana

Post by mairuwen »

Smoking a lot of (relatively weak) pot back in the 90s definitely didn't help me as a young adult. Firstly, I was using it as an escape from problems- as the problems became bigger there was more and more to escape from- stopped going out, didn't attend university lectures (very much a UK student stereotype) and ended up dropping out and getting a job a kitchen porter.

Also,in retrospect I was in the beginnings of what could have been pretty severe mental health issues. I started to receive secret personal messages in William Burroughs novels, and could see clues that shadowy fascistic organisations were operating in my community. Luckily I stopped smoking before it got any worse, but still think there may be residual effects.

I know other people who were/ are heavy smokers who have all kinds of severe paranoia, anger issues, depression etc.

Obviously, there are many people who enjoy weed while maintaining happy lives, and maybe even can use it stimulate creativity. But all in all, I have a lot of resentment and a feeling of being cheated by a culture which from Bob Dylan to Cypress Hill advertised marijuana as a kind of right of passage for young adults wanting to assert their independence.

(Actually the bitter resentment and feelings of having been cheated by the cultural values I used to embrace is something I need to work at getting past through meditation.)
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Laurens wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:27 pm
Trump4ever wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pm weed is about as bad coffee
But some people have addictive personalities, and for those people it becomes something they do constantly. There is not a moment throughout the day when they are not high. I've been there, and what it does is it just numbs you out. You drift through your life, miserable because it doesn't have any direction and medicating that misery with more Chocolate without realising that it's the Chocolate that is making you drift along.

I've changed one word. And it makes some sense

What's scary is society's hate against people who are addicted to feeling happy.
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Crazy cloud wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 am I've changed one word. And it makes some sense

What's scary is society's hate against people who are addicted to feeling happy.
I'm not quite sure I understand what you are getting at.

My intention is not to hate against anyone. However, as someone who has gone through addiction to marijuana, one of the most difficult things about it was the perception that it is a harmless wonder drug. If you are the kind of person who doesn't have issues with addiction then it is plausible that you can have a healthy relationship to the drug, using it occasionally and not experiencing any negative impact from it.

But there are people who become addicted to it, who can't get away from it, and it has a negative impact. Addicts use whatever excuses they can to tell themselves that they don't have a problem, and for marijuana it's usually by convincing yourself that it's harmless, that no-one ever died from it and it has positive health benefits etc.

But as with the example of chocolate, you can't consume something day in, day out with no cost. In that case it would be obesity, and diabetes etc. In the instance of marijuana it's lack of motivation, loss of short term memory and such. My addiction to marijuana has held me back in life, it caused me to make poor decisions and generally has done way more harm to me than good.

Sure you can use it once or twice a month and probably be fine, but it can be addictive and damaging. The reason I put effort into pointing this out is because a lot of people out there convince themselves there is no cost to getting high all the time, and there is. I've paid the price, and I know people who are still paying the price and have a really hard time quitting. I'm not doing it through hate, I'm doing it so that maybe someone in a similar position might stop deluding themselves and realise the impact of marijuana addiction.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

Laurens wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:33 am
Crazy cloud wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:44 am I've changed one word. And it makes some sense

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are getting at.
What I'm getting at is that we all do our best to avoid suffering, and our partial minds and powers are used to inflict unnecessary pain upon others that don't do the same as themselves in order to achieve the same result, happiness now.
The addiction is the same, but the means differ.
My intention is not to hate against anyone. However, as someone who has gone through addiction to marijuana, one of the most difficult things about it was the perception that it is a harmless wonder drug. If you are the kind of person who doesn't have issues with addiction then it is plausible that you can have a healthy relationship to the drug, using it occasionally and not experiencing any negative impact from it.
I don't say that you hate, I say something about materialistic society as a whole. I won't judge anybody else, but say that you or anybody else know nothing about me and my situation. I don't see any "wonder drugs", legal or illegal, but I do know a way out of the whole mess, 8-fold path.
But there are people who become addicted to it, who can't get away from it, and it has a negative impact. Addicts use whatever excuses they can to tell themselves that they don't have a problem, and for marijuana it's usually by convincing yourself that it's harmless, that no-one ever died from it and it has positive health benefits etc.
For some, this is exactly what they need, and for some other, it's a delusion and excuse from doing what they know they should do. For me, it was a medicine that kept me alive and reasonably sane.
Sure you can use it once or twice a month and probably be fine, but it can be addictive and damaging. The reason I put effort into pointing this out is because a lot of people out there convince themselves there is no cost to getting high all the time, and there is. I've paid the price, and I know people who are still paying the price and have a really hard time quitting. I'm not doing it through hate, I'm doing it so that maybe someone in a similar position might stop deluding themselves and realise the impact of marijuana addiction.
We all know this, but once again: You and I don't know anything about anybody else situation and what is best for them.

I leave an interesting video here:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Laurens wrote: Stoners just become unhappy losers.
every condition is impermanent

:coffee:
polaris

Post by polaris »

Since this topic is on marijuana I thought I could just ask a question related to marijuana.
Since last year 2019 September I started having IBS(irritable bowel syndrome) then passing blood in the stool in November. Imagine I had these two bad illnesses coming at me both almost same time. Oh, I had hemorrhoids as well,two small tiny ones on the outside, this is not too bad. The pain seem to come from there.
I didn't see a doctor I ate a lot of Korean Kimchi and it stopped the bleeding in the stool. It worked quite fast actually within 2 weeks the blood stopped and only traces of them every now and then.
Then I deal with the hemorrhoids and IBS by eating a vegetarian diet. Avoiding tea and coffee totally. I am glad to say the IBS more or less stopped. I still have a little of the syndrome but this is because I just recovered only about 10 days ago.
During the time I was having problem with hemorrhoids I was thinking of using cannabis oil.
I tried to get the Cannabis oil but I couldn't get any. Now my question is do any member of this forum know whether the Cannabis is good for the pain.
Before anything else I must say I stop working so I don't get any stress in life. I keep a good positive outlook in life so it helps tremendously.
I must say the hemorrhoids were not too bad, the passing of blood was bad. I was shocked by the amount of blood in the stool. I don't why the Kimichi worked it stopped the bleeding. I made the kimchi at home not from the supermarket. Ate them at every meal.
Anyone use Cannabis oil for hemorrhoids pain in this forum? I am asking because one day I may need it.
Metta
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Here is one of the interviews with Berenson about his book: Tell Your Children.

Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.