Dangers of Marijuana

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Garrib

Re: Dangers of Marijuana

Post by Garrib »

Laurens wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 pm Speaking from experience, the main danger of marijuana is it's lack of overt negative consequences.

It doesn't cause your life to implode like other substances might. You can function, hold down a job, and maintain relationships whilst being high for all of your waking hours. And thus you can persist in a kind of twilight zone, without ever really facing your responsibilities, or doing anything proactive about your situation for years, completely blind to the fact that marijuana addiction stifles your motivation and ability to face up to negative emotions.

It might not be a massive health risk, or physically addictive, but marijuana has the insidious effect of subtly stifling the lives of people who are prone to using it regularly without them realising what it is doing, or even that it has a negative effect.
Yes - and it can trigger psychosis
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

as long as alcohol is socially tolerated, then i find such discussions about this drug based on false pretense
alcohol kills lots and lots of people every year, whether by over dose, drunk driving, brawling, disputes, and it's proven bad for your health and sanity
i'm not saying mj is sunshine and roses like stoners might make it out to be nor do i have to, but it's obviously way less dangerous
in short, triage
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Slowlearner5

Post by Slowlearner5 »

Although possibly biased, quite a few government publications show that psychosis and dope use are common. So people with genetic tendencies for mental disorders and who may be fine in this life, very quickly lose mental health by using dope. Sadly we've all seen it I think, as in 5 seconds I'm aware of 4 from my school year and more from other years, all disabled to varying degrees.
budo

Post by budo »

Marijuana eases fear which should not be eased, for example when I was a teen I tried it and then drove the car on the highway at high speeds, and it was harder to control negative impulses (like weaving off the road), thankfully I was strong enough to control those negative impulses, after that I never put myself in that position again. I also removed those friends out of my life since they talked me into smoking it, and also let me drive a car after I left, having no idea of the negative effects.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Understand this before you smoke weeds again .

You always gain by giving
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

people on noble eight fold path don't use alcohol or drugs other than medicine. Because bliss of dharma excels all bliss. If you can't be happy in natural state and you take weed, then it also dependently arising happiness. all things dependently arising even happiness is actually suffering because it leads to craving for more. this leads to anti-buddhist practise. you are increasing rebirth instead of stopping it.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

I believe that the effect of weed is very different from the effect of alcohol. If alcohol becomes dull, provokes aggressive behavior and disinhibits, then weed on the contrary stimulates creativity, the desire for knowledge and soothes (indica). If alcohol unambiguously provokes bad behavior, then weed is not.

Of course, any sacred plant can be used in different ways. Someone smokes in order to study the inner world and unravel knots, and someone just wants to laugh and hang out.
All that is subject to arising is subject to termination, all formations are non-permanent. And that which is impermanent is suffering. Regarding what is impermanent and prone to suffering, one cannot say: "This is mine, I am this, this is my self".
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Antaradhana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 am I believe that the effect of weed is very different from the effect of alcohol. If alcohol becomes dull, provokes aggressive behavior and disinhibits, then weed on the contrary stimulates creativity, the desire for knowledge and soothes (indica). If alcohol unambiguously provokes bad behavior, then weed is not.

Of course, any sacred plant can be used in different ways. Someone smokes in order to study the inner world and unravel knots, and someone just wants to laugh and hang out.
Marijuana is not a sacrament.

I have struggled with marijuana addiction in the past, and one thing that I used to tell myself to justify the addiction was that I wasn't taking drugs, I was getting closer to God or something. It's B.S. I just wanted to get high. I liked the feeling, and I liked the mindset it put me in. But I have never had any profound insights into the nature of reality from using it that I could not have had completely sober. I also had a lot of harmful delusions as a result of it.

It doesn't give you anything other than a buzz. If you do have any insights whilst using it you are liable to forget them anyway. And if you use it a lot you just drift through life in a twilight zone haze. It is not worth it.

If you're gonna get high, at least do it on the pretence that you like the feelings it gives you. It's dangerous to pretend it can give you something you cannot do whilst not on drugs. Very dangerous indeed.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Once you tasted the bliss of samadhi you will forsake the mundane pleasure .
You always gain by giving
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

I don’t do hash, but do enjoy making silly pictures with spliffs
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Antaradhana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:30 am I believe that the effect of weed is very different from the effect of alcohol. If alcohol becomes dull, provokes aggressive behavior and disinhibits, then weed on the contrary stimulates creativity, the desire for knowledge and soothes (indica). If alcohol unambiguously provokes bad behavior, then weed is not.
Strong grass and cannabis resin can cause extreme paranoia in some people - and bad behavior as a result of that.

Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

Aloka wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:52 pm
Strong grass and cannabis resin can cause extreme paranoia in some people - and bad behavior as a result of that.
Yes. But any substance has a dosage that should not be exceeded, even the most innocuous drugs. And yet, weed, unlike alcohol, does not contribute to such things as sexual desire, the desire to cause harm and violent crime. Most of the violent crimes are committed under the action of alcohol, about such under the influence of grass is not heard.
All that is subject to arising is subject to termination, all formations are non-permanent. And that which is impermanent is suffering. Regarding what is impermanent and prone to suffering, one cannot say: "This is mine, I am this, this is my self".
Trump4ever

Post by Trump4ever »

weed is about as bad coffee
bryozoa

Post by bryozoa »

I've haven't tried cannabis but I tend to agree the potential risks are high and intentionally under-reported by the media beholden to the 'Big Dope' lobby. I occasionally read Peter Hitchen's column in the Daily Mail. He is one of the few journalists who highlights the links between super-strength THC cannabis or 'skunk' in circulation, with psychotic symptoms of paranoia and incidents of violent crime. Not to mention heavy usage fostering apathy in youth (I have to wonder if this is some kind of antisocial engineering). I also resent the fact that to obtain cannabis one has to move in social circles unless you're able to grow it yourself. I don't know what I find more infuriating, seeing a group of young thugs smoking cannabis or even more annoying, trendy students rebelling against their privileged upbringing (it's obvious students are more offensive).
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

Trump4ever wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:53 pm weed is about as bad coffee
This is really a dangerous line of reasoning.

The whole reason weed is dangerous is because people think like this. Marijuana is not a wrecking ball into your life in the same way that alcohol and heroin might be, but that doesn't mean it is completely harmless.

Some people can indulge in marijuana once in a blue moon, and to them it's probably fine. But some people have addictive personalities, and for those people it becomes something they do constantly. There is not a moment throughout the day when they are not high. I've been there, and what it does is it just numbs you out. You drift through your life, miserable because it doesn't have any direction and medicating that misery with more marijuana without realising that it's the weed that is making you drift along.

Stoners just become unhappy losers. Perhaps that is not as bad as being a heroin addict, but it's also not good, and it is often overlooked. People need to stop saying things like 'it's harmless' and start warning people of the reality that it will eat your prospects and motivation and leave you in a very unhappy place.
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn