Body Odor stinks to high heaven

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
cappuccino

Re: Body Odor stinks to high heaven

Post by cappuccino »

alfa wrote: I thought devas were beyond 'aversion and clinging'
maybe the Gods have forgotten that trouble

but it's not really gone
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

polo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm I hope I can talk about "Body Odor" here, since it is connected to wellness. Today when I was on the train some passengers(a couple) walked pass me and the body odor was so bad.
Imagine the odor sting my nose, yes it is that bad.
Do they(a couple) know that their body odor really stinks? May be they don't know.
They could go to see doctor and have the sweat glands under the arm pit surgically removed.
Many people have done that in Europe.
Could I tell them their body odor is bad? Would they be angry with me?
Perhaps you could put a few drops of scented herbal oil on a tissue in your pocket and sniff that occasionally in order to get some relief, or sniff on a menthol inhaler occasionally.

I live in a city and frequently smell strong body odour on people in trains, buses and public places. You need to get used to it because you can't go around telling strangers they smell. Anyway, there are far worse things than that to deal with in life!

polo

Post by polo »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm A facetious response: if people really do "stink to high heaven", how do the devas there respond?
You didn't know? The Devas when they meet you will ask you to take a shower and then they will smell your arm pits to check. If it smells they send you back to earth because heaven is a nice place not smelly like a pig sty. You got me? Sometimes you hear people coming back from dead, or wake up in the mortuary, these are the people sent back by the Devas. Now you got me right?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

polo wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:04 am
Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pm A facetious response: if people really do "stink to high heaven", how do the devas there respond?
You didn't know? The Devas when they meet you will ask you to take a shower and then they will smell your arm pits to check. If it smells they send you back to earth because heaven is a nice place not smelly like a pig sty. You got me? Sometimes you hear people coming back from dead, or wake up in the mortuary, these are the people sent back by the Devas. Now you got me right?

Last edited by Aloka on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

I remember an old post from Ven Dhammanando saying that beings from higher realms stay away from us because we stink.

As Dr. David mentioned, our noses are incapable of smelling us because of habit. I am able to smell other animals more than humans.

The fact that we sometimes perceive our bodes or other people bodies in a negative way that gave rise to huge industries. We spend a lot of money on fragrances, and even though we know that the smell of the fragrance is not our natural body odor, we seem to admire people who use them.

I think what makes things smell good or bad has also to do with context. Some natural body smells, which in ordinary circumstances might smell bad, becomes a turn on. Take saliva for instance, which we usually perceive with disgust, becomes a turn on when people kiss in a sexual way.

To sum up: strange things happen in the human realm :popcorn:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Sarath,
SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:36 pm Is the body order is a result of the food we eat?
I believe it's a factor. I live in an area where there's several minority groups, and even without seeing them, there's two particular groups I can identify from smell alone. It's my assumption that there's something in their diet that causes this, rather than something biological or cultural (such as hygiene practices) but honestly I really don't know. Either way, the nose knows.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:23 pmA facetious response: if people really do "stink to high heaven", how do the devas there respond?
They pout and turn up their noses.

- - -
SarathW wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:58 pm I think it is bacteria more than the sweat.
For instance the smell of your socks. The best is to wash with salt water.
And vinegar, 9% plain vinegar. I spray the underarms of shirts with vinegar and let it sit for a little before washing them in the machine. And high temperatures, 60°C at least; that really helps.

- - -
char101 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:11 amAlso if you experience smelling bad odor it is probably the fruition of your own bad kamma.
And race.
Most of the world's population have the gene that codes for the wet-type earwax and normal body odor; however, East Asians are genetically predisposed for the allele associated with the dry-type earwax and a reduction in body odor.[5][19][21] East Asians (Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese) have fewer apocrine sweat glands compared to people of other descent, making East Asians less prone to body odor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_odor
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Buddha save me from new-agers!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

polo wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm I hope I can talk about "Body Odor" here, since it is connected to wellness. Today when I was on the train some passengers(a couple) walked pass me and the body odor was so bad.
Do they(a couple) know that their body odor really stinks? May be they don't know.
They could go to see doctor and have the sweat glands under the arm pit surgically removed.
It is said that more your genetic is different from other the person, more you feel their odor...

In Russia we say : "our own shit don't stinks". It means that we don't see our problems but see problems of others, but also that maybe we smell bad to someone else too ? Who knows...
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
polo

Post by polo »

Alīno wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:51 pm
It is said that more your genetic is different from other the person, more you feel their odor...

In Russia we say : "our own shit don't stinks". It means that we don't see our problems but see problems of others, but also that maybe we smell bad to someone else too ? Who knows...
Oh, no I don't stink that's for sure.
I have a feeling I smell like the devas. How do devas smell , ah well, sweet pleasant smell like a ripe peach.
On top of that from time to time a hormone makes my body odor attract the opposite sex and they like to have sex with me. At times I had to keep away from them. Please don't laugh, it's true. I may not look like Johnny Depp, it's the hormone playing the procreation role.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

polo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 am Oh, no I don't stink that's for sure.
I have a feeling I smell like the devas. How do devas smell , ah well, sweet pleasant smell like a ripe peach.
On top of that from time to time a hormone makes my body odor attract the opposite sex and they like to have sex with me. At times I had to keep away from them. Please don't laugh, it's true. I may not look like Johnny Depp, it's the hormone playing the procreation role.
:tongue:
What is true is that more metta one practice, more he is attractive to peoples and Devas ;) So maybe if you are not Jhonny Depp, you are Jhonny Deep? Like true unconditioned love for beinhs Deeply established in your heart, and that why females primates can't resist you spiritual attractiveness ?:) :hug:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
polo

Post by polo »

Alīno wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:11 am
polo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:16 am Oh, no I don't stink that's for sure.
:tongue:
What is true is that more metta one practice, more he is attractive to peoples and Devas ;) So maybe if you are not Jhonny Depp, you are Jhonny Deep? Like true unconditioned love for beinhs Deeply established in your heart, and that why females primates can't resist you spiritual attractiveness ?:) :hug:
Sex is good and bad both at the same time.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

polo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:02 am Sex is good and bad both at the same time.
Good or bad for what purpose? Why it is good and why it is bad for you?

"Good and bad" is an intresting deep question, if you want we can reflect on it together ;)
polo

Post by polo »

Alīno wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:09 am
polo wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:02 am Sex is good and bad both at the same time.
Good or bad for what purpose? Why it is good and why it is bad for you?

"Good and bad" is an intresting deep question, if you want we can reflect on it together ;)
Before we reflect on this good or bad question of sex let me tell you a joke.
This guy from Finland went to a brothel and as he was coming out of the room another customer impatiently waiting outside asked him, "Are you finished?"
He was surprised and answered,"Yes I am, how did you know that?"

Ok now coming to this question of sex. Sex creates desires and tension all of which are bad for you if you wish to really follow Buddha's teaching. It's obvious isn't it? Desires create suffering.
So if you could understand from your heart not just the thought. The difference between understanding from the heart and rational thinking is huge, one is an ultimate realization the other is just very superficial acknowledgement.
I have printed some T-shirts that say, "No sex please, we are Buddhists" , do you think it will sell well?