Lockdown Stress

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Bundokji

Re: Lockdown Stress

Post by Bundokji »

To quote the breaking news from the BBC:
Death toll climbs to 200,000 as worldwide coronavirus pandemic reaches sombre new milestone

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
Which means: stay tuned, something radically different just happened. This should keep people alert and amused during the lockdown.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bundokji wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:14 pm To quote the breaking news from the BBC:
Death toll climbs to 200,000 as worldwide coronavirus pandemic reaches sombre new milestone

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.
Which means: stay tuned, something radically different just happened.
Normally with the the BBC it means "We can't find any anti-Trump stories at the moment, but keep logging on because sensationalism increases our ratings".
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

While I have a lot of sympathy for the lockdown stresses that people are experiencing, I think that it would be more fruitful to have compassion for those who have lost their lives, lost family or friends, or had their lives permanently disrupted than to worry about the motivations of others.

Lockdown stress is really different for different people. Some in my local group are happy not having to physically go to work, some find being at home with no adult company, unable to go out for a cup of coffee with their mates, quite challenging. Some are working quite hard (on teaching in my case) and wish that we really did have a lot of free time! Some are working in health care, which brings them into contact with a lot of anxious people...

Whatever comes out of this, from a practice point of view I think it is worth recognising that we are in a huge upheaval. It's not a matter of just hanging out for a few weeks for things to get back to normal, or for a few years to rebuild a city after an earthquake (something I'm all too familiar with). Just as our lives are finite and fragile, this event demonstrates the fragility and impermanence of our ecosystem and out societies.

Taking out the reference to the specific problem, I am finding Bhikkhu Analayo's advice on contemplating the external challenges I face, as part of my practice, very helpful (edited, of course, for the specific external challenge):
The teaching of the fourth truth needs to be put into practice. This takes the form of an eightfold path that has progress to awakening as its overarching aim. In this chapter, a natural focus in my exploration will be to apply the eightfold path to external challenges.

At the outset, however, I first attempt to relate the current crisis to progress to awakening, based on a discourse that depicts a future time when the whole earth will be completely destroyed. In the final part of this chapter, I turn to mindfulness of death as a practical way to train oneself in the mental resilience required to face external challenges.
:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:28 pm
Bundokji wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:14 pm To quote the breaking news from the BBC:

Which means: stay tuned, something radically different just happened.
Normally with the the BBC it means "We can't find any anti-Trump stories at the moment, but keep logging on because sensationalism increases our ratings".
:goodpost:
I had the same thought the other day.
I just watched media criticising Trmp, the same time I felt that Mr. Trump feed the media appetite perhaps mine too. :embarassed:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Its also very true what Soto Zen teacher Brad Warner has to say about social media in this 10 minute video "Be Kind Even to Strangers on the Internet"

:anjali:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

42nd day today. Completed 6 weeks. At least another 2 weeks already announced.

I have no objection to the lockdown but things we need (for work) not being available is annoying.

I needed a DVD writer yesterday because my computer required formatting and the DVD writer had knocked out .. also medicines for blood pressure, angina etc are running low .. I am stocked for 25 more days .. but after that?

The worst is the economic stress. I work in SEO now and being part of webosphere related advertising it is one of the first sectors to be hit. Pilots too and stewards, cruise ships, travel agents and so on .. cooks, chefs, personal trainers, photographers, freelance coders and web designers.

With large chunks of most economies devoted to these jobs .. it is tough. But it is the new normal and this will be the state we are in for long while .. maybe upto 25 years according to some estimates .. hmm

Not to garner sympathy but I have not had deep, restful sleep for many weeks. Drop into bed at 2 and awake by 5 but get up finally at 8. Very vivid dreams of people I have never seen before. Lot of paranoia. Thinking that someone has put a spell and intruding my thoughts (thankfully that went away with chanting as Ven. Pesala advised).

Overwhelming spells of paranoia is what is most surprising .. I have never ever previously felt that people were plotting against me.

The only way to connect with others is through social media and that is a minefield .. everyone it seems is learning how to bake ..

War and strife is coming .. sooner rather than later

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

No_Mind wrote: Not to garner sympathy but I have not had deep, restful sleep for many weeks.
benefits of practicing Metta:

You will sleep easily
You will wake easily
etc.
No_Mind wrote: War and strife is coming … sooner rather than later
?

:shrug:
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Sri Bhagavan wrote:The occurrences are known to the sages, but pass away without leaving an impression
on their minds. Even a deluge will appear a trifle to them; they do not care for anything.
Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi
Volume II
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:38 pm
Sri Bhagavan wrote:The occurrences are known to the sages, but pass away without leaving an impression
on their minds. Even a deluge will appear a trifle to them; they do not care for anything.
Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi
Volume II
SRM was an ascetic living for decades in the forest of Annamalai Hills.

Trying to take a page out of his book or Ajahn Mun or Father Maximilian Kolbe is an exercise that would lead to frustration.

As an Indian, I am well acquainted with extreme lifestyle of ascetics. But one can only live that as an ascetic.

It is similar to someone who works out thrice a week doing dumbbell curls of 20 lbs comparing themselves to a Mr Olympia hopeful on full stack steroids, eating 6 large meals daily and bench pressing 400 lbs for 5 reps.

Last edited by No_Mind on Sat May 02, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 pm
I have noticed, that a man is usually about as happy as he has made up his mind to be.
And I have noticed you are transforming from Yoda to Master Oogway

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

No_Mind wrote: And I have noticed you are transforming from Yoda to Master Oogway
the creator of kung fu?
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:09 pm
No_Mind wrote: And I have noticed you are transforming from Yoda to Master Oogway
the creator of kung fu?
Yes, the elderly tortoise and the previous senior master of the Jade Palace who was probably the first dragon warrior.

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

No_Mind wrote: Yes, the elderly tortoise
check your Inbox
Coaching
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

cappuccino wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm
No_Mind wrote: Yes, the elderly tortoise
check your mail
I have. Will reply tomorrow.

One thing that many aspirants on spiritual path discount is that ascetics (of any religion, from Mt Athos to Himalayas) sever all bond with their previous life.

In fact Hindu monks on day of initiation often perform their death rites. They as they were are considered dead and reborn as a holy man.

And almost all leave behind aged parents, wives and children in poverty. That sin is forgiven since once they embark they are not allowed to look back or even remember their past.

That cannot be done by conscientious members of society.