Lockdown Stress

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
No_Mind

Re: Lockdown Stress

Post by No_Mind »

mikenz66 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:31 am Hi No Mind,
No_Mind wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:01 pm It is the chaos that is so disorienting. I might not die due to Covid-19. I might be dead because I have three kilos of rice in my home and a kilo of potato.
We get little news about India here, but what we do get is very distressing. I hope it is not as bad as you fear.
:anjali:
Mike
Hi Mike,

It is not yet as bad. Everyone is remarkably quiet. But there have been staggering job losses - 140 million by some estimates.

The lockdown is now extended to April 30 and I have no doubt it will be in place till end-May at least.

Keeping fingers crossed because there is no way that the government could extend aid to so many.

:namaste:

No_Mind
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

No_Mind wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:01 pm It is the chaos that is so disorienting. I might not die due to Covid-19. I might be dead because I have three kilos of rice in my home and a kilo of potato.

It has not come to that. But it could turn to that in less than six weeks. 95 million live in my province of West Bengal. Only 9 have died (between 5 and 9). That is less than 1 death per million. But at least 4 million are going to starve due to unemployment soon.
A country where the poorest and most esquisite country girl, comes up to you, telling you: "Uncle, are you a monist, or a dualist?" will never go wrong.
There is beauty in chaos.
And there is chaos indeed - (in rural places, it is said that prices of food have fallen precipitously; while in the urban areas, where supply chain was killed by stopping road traffic, it has gone up by as much as 500%, if you can find it) -

What interests Modi and the Indian Middle Class is not starvation deaths, but as low a count of corona-virus deaths as possible. He wants to be seen as a world leader. And the Middle Class - (less than 10% of the population; well-stocked with beer, chips, and Netflix connections) - desperately seeking an identity in the world, wants India to be recognized.

The (utterly corrupted) police, political parties, etc. are releasing a stream of photos and videos of the “charity” work they are doing, advertising their fake compassion on the back of humiliating those who accept the food. The food is only going to the local voters in urban areas, a minority of the distressed population.

The good people of Bharat are suffering again.

I hope things get better for you soon, No_mind.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

No_Mind wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:35 pm Keeping fingers crossed because there is no way that the government could extend aid to so many.
Take care NM... :heart:
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

There is one monk from oversea lockdown for 2 months in my country and no sign of unlock in near term enable him to return to his country .
You always gain by giving
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I’m officially hoping to be repatriated from India back to the USA with this lockdown extension, the prohibition on going outside at all for exercise (even if it’s solo) is getting to me. But I have the lowest priority to be evacuated as a young able-bodied male so we’ll see if there are enough seats 🤞... waits for email from embassy... :coffee: ...

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Polar Bear wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:48 pm I’m officially hoping to be repatriated from India back to the USA with this lockdown extension, the prohibition on going outside at all for exercise (even if it’s solo) is getting to me. But I have the lowest priority to be evacuated as a young able-bodied male so we’ll see if there are enough seats 🤞... waits for email from embassy... :coffee: ...

Good luck! It must be very trying! Last week, one of my sons managed to get home via Germany from Central America, courtesy of Lufthansa, who were flying lots of Germans home. Luckily, Qatar are still flying from Europe to Asia/Australasia, so he was able to connect to NZ via Doha. A rather long way around, but at least it worked!

:heart:
Mike
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:56 pm Good luck! It must be very trying! Last week, one of my sons managed to get home via Germany from Central America, courtesy of Lufthansa, who were flying lots of Germans home. Luckily, Qatar are still flying from Europe to Asia/Australasia, so he was able to connect to NZ via Doha. A rather long way around, but at least it worked!

Mike
Thanks, glad your son found a way back

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Polar Bear wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:32 am Thanks, glad your son found a way back
I hope you find a way back too!

Mike
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Calcutta Update - (posted here instead of Coronavirus thread)

25th day of the lockdown and I am rather wistful that it might end soon (May 3rd possibly).

I am now enjoying the peace and quiet. Settled down to routine without maid. Amazing how adaptable humans are and that nothing really is permanent.

The skies are clear. A thunderstorm yesterday night at 2 AM was glorious. I think since the constant cacophony of cars and rickety rickshaws have stopped, my mind is more peaceful and I can focus better.

After about three weeks saw a plane pass overhead yesterday. It had not yet reached 10,000 ft. Probably a flight from Bangladesh taking Canadians home. I was all alone in middle of a (once busy) thoroughfare .. and felt a strange connection to the passengers on their way home.

Lots of birds everywhere. Chirping constantly. Quite nice actually.

Edit Add - The first thing one needs to integrate the Dhamma into ones life is to be away from civilization. Not in a jungle but at least a place where the nearest motorable road is not less than half a mile away (compared to 9 ft away currently).

:namaste:

No_Mind
Last edited by No_Mind on Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

It's a Death in Venice atmosphere. Barely anyone out in the street, shops mostly closed, disinfection patrols. While the weather is beautiful, spring in full bloom.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Pulsar

Post by Pulsar »

No_Mind
birds everywhere. Chirping constantly
and Binocular
spring in full bloom
it is beautiful to read your prose that sounds so poetic. Waxing poetic in the times of Corona, not cholera, to see beauty thru the eyes of Lock-down suffering. You guys inspire me. Outside my window morning before.

April
Snow like flowers from heaven,
between night and day it was hard to tell, blessing-ly,  
these showers, made snow swept islands! 
weeping Cherry,  blooming-ly
once a year, spans across the window wide,
a bouquet in suspense!10 ft high?
earthly present-ation!
like a gift from sky, 
snow settles slumberingly over cosy petals,1000 thread count
s

PS and I think the words of Buddha settles on our hearts, even if pain
is all around us.
With love :candle:
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Polar Bear wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:48 pm I’m officially hoping to be repatriated from India back to the USA with this lockdown extension, the prohibition on going outside at all for exercise (even if it’s solo) is getting to me. But I have the lowest priority to be evacuated as a young able-bodied male so we’ll see if there are enough seats 🤞... waits for email from embassy... :coffee: ...

Hoping you get back safely to the USA, Polar Bear.

ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Nice article on Kerala here:
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/0 ... ronavirus/

And general articles on Covid-19 here (all free):
https://www.technologyreview.com/tag/co ... d-19-news/

____

One (but certainly not all) of the reasons birds disappear, is that they can't hear themselves communicate anymore.
Here in the mountain where I am locked down now, it is a full concert in the morning.
Absolutely frantic - they just can't believe their ears.
The most interesting part is to ear how far they can communicate - which is impossible for them in normal time - even in this small town usual morning noise.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
polaris

Post by polaris »

So we have not looked at this "Lockdown Stress" and carefully analyze it have we? I believe human beings are not supposed to be living close together in large groups- example in flats or condominiums. We have built big cities all over the world. One day a more deadly virus will wipe out a lot more people than the present prevailing virus(covid-19). May be 70 percent of the world's population gone before it was brought under control. If that happened the world will be rejuvenated and nature will heal itself and look beautiful again
Our consumer society is really very anti-buddhism in its ways of perception and doing things (although not on purpose but having total ignorance of buddhist ways of perception of what is wholesome or unwholesome, wrong or right perceptions and it goes on.....)
Consumerism is so preoccupied with profit, they think nothing of polluting the rivers and air. We allowed these to happen and why are we talking about "Lockdown Stress".
How much water is being wasted on the cattle ranch and how much is wasted on our textile industry. The wet markets in many Asian countries are places where you see animals being made to suffer. Locked in small cages, they also witness their companions slaughter in front of them - causing stress and fear .
The world at large refuse to learn from the teachings of Buddha. We will continue to suffer that's for sure.
When I hear the words "Lockdown Stress" - I would say we deserved it don't we? The fully enlightened one said, "Ignorance is the cause of all sufferings"
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

After more than a month in loackdown, and as i used to go to my mother's house everyday to eat after work, i somehow got fed up with frozens and canned food so i began to cook. I also used to rely on my mother to bring a house keeper to my apartment to clean it while i am at work. The apartment is becoming increasingly dirty and ants began to appear in the kitchen. Unfortunately, after delaying the inevitable for weeks, i had to kill them to avoid killing more if action is not taken. I also have plans to gradually begin to clean my apartment considering no end to the loackdown in sight.

Other than that, this lockdown period has been quite enjoyable. Nothing much to do in terms of work except if i am explicitly asked to do something online. I go for a short walk to the shops nearby once in a while to buy necessities as driving cars is banned except for people with special permission from the government. While i wish no one harm, i hope this life style to continue as long as it takes to end naturally.

As the media keeps on updating the public on the status of the virus, today the update is that the number of deaths is 200k and presented as breaking news. I hope the loackdown will inspire me to understand for once the human obsession with round numbers.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.