Ciggarettes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
ShanYin

Ciggarettes

Post by ShanYin »

Smoking. I smoke alot, lately I have been going through a carton in about 3 days. I decided to start smoking one day, at work as a dishwasher and at the smoking section in high school where I also smoked weed.

How can I quit? I have read Alan Carr's book, it didn't work. I I feel utterly lost in mental phenomena and unpleasant feelings when I meditate on breathing. I can still sit for around 20 minutes though so I think I should keep trying.

Both my parents smoke, my neighbours smoke, and there are two corner stores right next to me where I can buy smokes. Also, I can get cheap cigarettes that my parents bring to me all the time and they lend me money for them. It's preposterous. :toilet:

Any tips on how to quit smoking?
confusedlayman

Re: Ciggarettes

Post by confusedlayman »

ShanYin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm Smoking. I smoke alot, lately I have been going through a carton in about 3 days. I decided to start smoking one day, at work as a dishwasher and at the smoking section in high school where I also smoked weed.

How can I quit? I have read Alan Carr's book, it didn't work. I I feel utterly lost in mental phenomena and unpleasant feelings when I meditate on breathing. I can still sit for around 20 minutes though so I think I should keep trying.

Both my parents smoke, my neighbours smoke, and there are two corner stores right next to me where I can buy smokes. Also, I can get cheap cigarettes that my parents bring to me all the time and they lend me money for them. It's preposterous. :toilet:

dont put cigar in to ur mouth

.. if there is poison in ur food bowl, will u eat? similarly with cigar also just dont smoke thats it
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

ShanYin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm Smoking. I smoke alot, lately I have been going through a carton in about 3 days. I decided to start smoking one day, at work as a dishwasher and at the smoking section in high school where I also smoked weed.

It’s tough. Speaking from my own experience, I gave up around 5 years ago. I stopped on and off for about 10 years before that. So it took me about 15 years in all, a long time. I had to stop drinking alcohol at the same time though, as I could go without until I had a drink.

If you don’t me saying, it sounds like you are making a lot of excuses or reasons for why you can’t quit, which may well be valid, maybe you enjoy the rush still. For me the rush was making me anxious in the end so I didn’t really have a good reason to continue smoking. I realised that it was going to take me some time and stopped being so tough on myself when I started up again, believing that each time I stopped for a little longer meant that I was strengthening my resolve.

Maybe just admit it is your responsibility, realise it’s a tough habit and with the attitude that you really want to stop it’s likely you will in the near future. Best of luck. :twothumbsup:
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

If you are located in a western country, look for a smoking cessation program. Every HMO/health care provider will offer one because of the immeasurable benefits of quitting. Ask your doctor.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

In case you dont know , smoking dulling your mind and becomes less sensitive in mindfulness training .
The mind consciousness get clouded by the
smokes .
You always gain by giving
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I used to smoke.
I realised it was damaging my lungs as I experienced an unusual sound in my lungs.
I also degraded my self for asking smokes from other smokers.
So one day I decided to stop!!!
However, I still have a sugar craving.
So craving is the culprit.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Why do you want to quit?

From my experience, if you have a bad habit, the struggle to let go of it does not really help.

If you enjoy smoking and if it is not causing you any major problems, then you do not have to quit. If you no longer want to smoke, then simply stop without making it a struggle.

In your current mindset, it is doubtful that you will quit, and by associating smoking with a sense of guilt you only make it less enjoyable. If you are going to smoke, then enjoy without drama, or simply stop.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Listen to your heart. Every time you have a craving you will THINK it comes from your brain.

It doesn’t. It comes from your heart. Locate the source of that tiny little craving and CRUSH IT!

Each and every time it wrears it’s little head DEMOLISH IT WITH YOUR MIND.

That is how you will overcome the first craving. That is how you will overcome the second craving. And the third; the fourth; and all those tiny little cravings that come there after.

In fact this part of your heart is responsible for ALL of our cravings. Knowing it and knowing how to CRUSH IT is the key to putting an end to negative behaviours.

Knowing it and knowing how to LET GO OF IT is key to developing samma samadhi.

That is how I quit.
“Monk, the property of light, the property of beauty, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of space, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, the property of the dimension of nothingness: These properties are to be reached as perception attainments.[2] The property of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception is to be reached as a remnant-of-fabrications attainment. The property of the cessation of feeling & perception is to be reached as a cessation attainment."[3]

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bundokji wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:17 am Why do you want to quit?

From my experience, if you have a bad habit, the struggle to let go of it does not really help.

If you enjoy smoking and if it is not causing you any major problems, then you do not have to quit. If you no longer want to smoke, then simply stop without making it a struggle.

In your current mindset, it is doubtful that you will quit, and by associating smoking with a sense of guilt you only make it less enjoyable. If you are going to smoke, then enjoy without drama, or simply stop.
I see your point, but there is a problem.
I have addiction for sugar and I enjoy it. I wish I can eat one Kgs sugar every day but it is not going to help my health.
The same way, smokers know that smoking is bad for their health and it also a social problem.
This also similar to craving for food and obesity.
So we have to help with the people with addiction.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I think we have to contemplate on gratification, drawbacks and escape from smoking.
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Every craving for a cigarette is a tiny little lie told by Māra to your heart and you believe it.

Stop listening to the lies. CRUSH THE CRAVING!!!! :computerproblem:
“Monk, the property of light, the property of beauty, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of space, the property of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, the property of the dimension of nothingness: These properties are to be reached as perception attainments.[2] The property of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception is to be reached as a remnant-of-fabrications attainment. The property of the cessation of feeling & perception is to be reached as a cessation attainment."[3]

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:46 am I see your point, but there is a problem.
I have addiction for sugar and I enjoy it. I wish I can eat one Kgs sugar every day but it is not going to help my health.
The same way, smokers know that smoking is bad for their health and it also a social problem.
This also similar to craving for food and obesity.
So we have to help with the people with addiction.
I had an uncle who had diabetes and loved sugar. He lived almost 80 years. The last few years of his life were difficult as he lost one of his legs to diabetes.

My father was a heavy smoker most of his life. He had high blood pressure and smoking made it worse. He had kidney failure because of high blood pressure and passed away aged 62,

In the case of my father, i remember he blamed smoking for his illness, and advised me to quit, but he never did himself. My uncle never bothered to blame sugar for his illness and death, at least not infront of me.

The problem is not in sugar nor in smoking, but in having an imperfect knowledge in beings that experience pleasure and pain moving towards an unknown future. When this unknown future becomes known, we try to figure out to what extent our actions and life style have been justified through what we like and dislike (which were the main drivers of action all along). In this state of affairs, had my father passed away through a car accident, cigarettes would be somehow blameless and some sort of generalization.

This is the state of affairs that everyone is trying to maintain either by quiting smoking, eating or not eating sugar or anything else. The struggle to continue or to quit is our relentless attempt to find significance and meaning in all of this, which is a part of our misery.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

There is only one way to stop smoking and that is to stop smoking. Then the difficulty is to not start again.
When you start again do it with awareness.
Use the noting technique. Perform every action leading to and including and beyond the picking up of a cigarette, taking a light, bringing it to the cigarette, lighting it, with careful noting, continuous awareness of the actions and the sensations and feelings and be aware of the continual change.
ShanYin

Re:

Post by ShanYin »

sunnat wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:37 am There is only one way to stop smoking and that is to stop smoking. Then the difficulty is to not start again.
When you start again do it with awareness.
Use the noting technique. Perform every action leading to and including and beyond the picking up of a cigarette, taking a light, bringing it to the cigarette, lighting it, with careful noting, continuous awareness of the actions and the sensations and feelings and be aware of the continual change.
Yes I have been trying this a little bit. So just like a mental recicitation, "inhaling inhaling inhaling" "exhaling exhaling exhaling" "coughing coughing coughing" "holding holding holding" "rush rush rush"

something like that?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Yes. Just treat it like any craving. It also helps to throw away any tobacco, smoking implements, lighters, ashtray etc. Then note the looking for them.

Edit add. It also is a good idea to wash clothes, bedding pillow caseetc. Tobacco smoke stinks horribly to a non smoker, while it can act as a trigger to someone letting go of the addiction.