Ciggarettes

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
bodhifollower

Re: Ciggarettes

Post by bodhifollower »

Perhaps smoking is a form of karma. Perhaps there isn't a way to stop. Perhaps there was never a choice to begin. Perhaps the length one smokes is determined by ones karma in the past. Perhaps this a bizarre form of self harm one is determined to carry out on oneself. Perhaps if people quit, it's not because they were "strong enough" to break the habit, it's because their karma was finished. I'm just asking questions people.

Perhaps you can smoke something else which is better than what you currently smoke. Pineapples are a healthier and superior fruit than watermelon, which is a very lackluster fruit. Therefore if you find the superior smoking form, then it will be like eating delicious and healthy food, and giving up disgusting and unhealthy food. Perhaps you must go on a lifelong quest in order to find this superior form of smoking leaf. It's up to you friend, please let us know if you ever find it.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

bodhifollower wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:58 pm Perhaps smoking is a form of karma. Perhaps there isn't a way to stop. Perhaps there was never a choice to begin. Perhaps the length one smokes is determined by ones karma in the past. Perhaps this a bizarre form of self harm one is determined to carry out on oneself. Perhaps if people quit, it's not because they were "strong enough" to break the habit, it's because their karma was finished. I'm just asking questions people.

Perhaps you can smoke something else which is better than what you currently smoke. Pineapples are a healthier and superior fruit than watermelon, which is a very lackluster fruit. Therefore if you find the superior smoking form, then it will be like eating delicious and healthy food, and giving up disgusting and unhealthy food. Perhaps you must go on a lifelong quest in order to find this superior form of smoking leaf. It's up to you friend, please let us know if you ever find it.
Perhaps the above speculation isn't helpful if someone seriously wants to quit smoking a.s.a.p.

Last edited by Aloka on Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShanYin

Post by ShanYin »

lol probly not.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

bite ur toungue and stop it.. its better if the urge breaks ur heart nerves than to reborn in hell
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
ShanYin

Post by ShanYin »

Yes, rebirth in hell worries me a bit. I woke up at around 7 AM this morning and smoked until about 10:43. Now, it is nearly 7 PM and I have not had one since then. I eat apples, use nicotine losenges, use the patch, use flavoured gum and it's all working. I should probably quit smoking weed as well.
sunnat

Re: Weed

Post by sunnat »

. An absolutely essential underpinning to successful progress is trying to adher to the 5 basic silas or moralities or virtues.

Namely:

Abstaining from taking lives
Abstaining from taking things that are not given
Abstaining from sexual activities where anyone, including self, suffers any harm
Abstaining from false speech (idle chatter, backbiting, lying, etc, anything where anyone suffers harm)
Abstaining from taking any kind of intoxicant

Tobacco is usually not considered an intoxicant. Weed is.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

sunnat wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 am
When I used to practice Tibetan Buddhism, tobacco was considered to be an intoxicant as well as weed, and there was an ancient text (which I've forgotten the name of) about not smoking tobacco.

User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Focus a lot on the inconstancy and reflect on the unpleasantness & drawbacks in regards to smoking.

When you become willing you can do something that breaks your normal routine like changing the environment and focusing on something other than smoking. Ie go on a trip for a few days or something like that.

Alternatively you can quit at home and sleep through the first two-three days or get otherwise occupied. The point is to arouse strong desire and just distance yourself from the perception of smoking physically and mentally.

Setting a date and telling people about your determinations can be helpful. Just do it again if you fail and don't worry about it.
ShanYin

Post by ShanYin »

It has been around 72 hours since I last had a ciggarette. I believe I can do it for life.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

ShanYin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:41 pm It has been around 72 hours since I last had a ciggarette. I believe I can do it for life.
Good for you mate :twothumbsup:
ShanYin

Post by ShanYin »

sunnat wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:19 am . An absolutely essential underpinning to successful progress is trying to adher to the 5 basic silas or moralities or virtues.

Namely:

Abstaining from taking lives
Abstaining from taking things that are not given
Abstaining from sexual activities where anyone, including self, suffers any harm
Abstaining from false speech (idle chatter, backbiting, lying, etc, anything where anyone suffers harm)
Abstaining from taking any kind of intoxicant

Yes I should stop smoking weed. I have smoked alot of weed in my life. My psychiatrist recently told me only to smoke CBD weed or (THC-less) weed. I did so and did not get high at all. So I wouldn't consider weed with no THC an intoxicant personally in the sense that one does not become drunk on it

I certainly haven't been keeping the precepts. Even becoming violent. Should I chant the precepts?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Yes. Chant or recite the precepts every morning. If you break one during the day, retake that one and move on. Try to keep a happy attitjde.

Be kind. To yourself and others.
ShanYin

Post by ShanYin »

I went 6 days without smoking then relapsed. Nicotine losenges, apples and water were what I used to make it that long. I think I will set a quit date then quit cold turkey again.
Catoni54

Post by Catoni54 »

ShanYin wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm Smoking. I smoke alot, lately I have been going through a carton in about 3 days. I decided to start smoking one day, at work as a dishwasher and at the smoking section in high school where I also smoked weed.

How can I quit? I have read Alan Carr's book, it didn't work. I I feel utterly lost in mental phenomena and unpleasant feelings when I meditate on breathing. I can still sit for around 20 minutes though so I think I should keep trying.

Both my parents smoke, my neighbours smoke, and there are two corner stores right next to me where I can buy smokes. Also, I can get cheap cigarettes that my parents bring to me all the time and they lend me money for them. It's preposterous. :toilet:

Any tips on how to quit smoking?
I smoked at least a large pack (25) per day for more than forty years. And two packs a day if I was at the pub drinking lots of beer with my friends after work.
I now haven’t had a smoke in more than fifteen years, and I don’t miss them, and I never get the urge anymore,
My way....
1. I carried a very very smooth small stone to hold and rub with my thumb to give my hand something to do. Like a “Worry Stone.”
2. Every day I would go into my bathroom, look at myself in the mirror and point my finger at myself and say, in a stern, serious voice, “You are no longer a smoker. You will never smoke another cigarette or any other form of tobacco or nicotine from this day forward”. And I made myself believe it.
3. I had a great desire to quit. I had a bad smoker’s cough, and would get bronchitis a couple of times a year, and short of breath just running a short distance. Not good. The bronchitis would last for weeks at a time with crazy wheezing noises when trying to fall asleep at night.

The first three weeks without a smoke were the toughest days. And then the urges gradually became fewer, and lasted less and less time. It got to the point where I would get a strong urge to light up a smoke, but I realized the urges would only last maybe one minute... so I would just put up with the urge and it would pass. Each week got easier after the first three weeks,
Now... no more smoker’s cough..... I never get bronchitis again, and I don’t run out of breath. The crazy wheezing crackly noises in my chest are long gone.

Doctors have told me that my lungs healed to the point that if I hadn’t told them I smoked for more than forty years, they would have never known.

You start to heal the day you quit for good. But it takes at least ten years to get back to fresh clean pink looking lungs, and lower your risk of lung cancer to almost the risk level of someone who has never smoked.

You truly have to seriously desire to quit. Perhaps my little suggestions can help. It listen and get help from others also. And good luck.
Namo Buddhaya. 🙏🏼