UK monasteries - nutrition

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Samvega86

UK monasteries - nutrition

Post by Samvega86 »

Hi,

As has been discussed elsewhere, one of the contributing factors for poor health (including obesity) in the sangha is the nutritional quality of the food offered (low fibre, high GI etc.).

How have those who have stayed at UK monasteries found the nutritional quality of the food offered? Observationally, health amongst monastics in the UK appears to be reasonably good but I wonder if those with more experience has found this to be the case?

Particularly those who are plant-based, have you found on your short stays (or long stays) that you’ve been able to meet your nutritional needs (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds etc.)?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: UK monasteries - nutrition

Post by Sam Vara »

Samvega86 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 am Hi,

As has been discussed elsewhere, one of the contributing factors for poor health (including obesity) in the sangha is the nutritional quality of the food offered (low fibre, high GI etc.).

How have those who have stayed at UK monasteries found the nutritional quality of the food offered? Observationally, health amongst monastics in the UK appears to be reasonably good but I wonder if those with more experience has found this to be the case?

Particularly those who are plant-based, have you found on your short stays (or long stays) that you’ve been able to meet your nutritional needs (whole grains, fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds etc.)?
Yes, easily. I only have experience of Amaravati and Cittaviveka, but found the food there to be better than I normally eat. I'm vegan and (apart from vitamin B12 supplements) the food there could have sustained me indefinitely. Most of the lay supporters are aware of good food and that's what they supply.

Contrary to this, I heard of a nun who disrobed about 12 years ago after living in the monastery for several years. When she went for a check-up, the doctor told her that she was borderline malnourished. I don't know what was going on there (she always looked well enough to me!) but if you are thinking of staying at a monastery as a guest, I don't think you should have any problems unless there are underlying health issues.
floatsy1

Post by floatsy1 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:24 am

Yes, easily. I only have experience of Amaravati and Cittaviveka, but found the food there to be better than I normally eat. I'm vegan and (apart from vitamin B12 supplements) the food there could have sustained me indefinitely. Most of the lay supporters are aware of good food and that's what they supply.

Contrary to this, I heard of a nun who disrobed about 12 years ago after living in the monastery for several years. When she went for a check-up, the doctor told her that she was borderline malnourished. I don't know what was going on there (she always looked well enough to me!) but if you are thinking of staying at a monastery as a guest, I don't think you should have any problems unless there are underlying health issues.
I agree with this.
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

Maybe she was anemic? It’s not easy to keep good iron levels on a vegan diet for a pre-menopause female. Can I ask why this alone forced her to disrobe? Is there a rule preventing monks from expressing a specific need so that the lay community could cater to it? In her case, malnutrition could be considered as a medical condition and whatever she would have been prescribed could have been considered as medical treatement, right?
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

lostitude wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:04 pm
Maybe she was anemic? It’s not easy to keep good iron levels on a vegan diet for a pre-menopause female. Can I ask why this alone forced her to disrobe? Is there a rule preventing monks from expressing a specific need so that the lay community could cater to it? In her case, malnutrition could be considered as a medical condition and whatever she would have been prescribed could have been considered as medical treatement, right?
I don't know the details, but I don't think she was vegan. It certainly wasn't the reason why she disrobed. The community as a whole ask for supplies that they need - looking at what is in the kitchens and store, they seem to eat pretty much the same as I do!
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I’ve stayed at Amaravati a few times. Mostly vegan food if I recall. Really healthy and nutritious.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”