What is the magic trick to open your hips?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
BlackMagic

Re: What is the magic trick to open your hips?

Post by BlackMagic »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 pm A better angle!

Now I must work on maintaining the posture for longer periods. :guns:

May someone use my dirty feet as asubha practice. :sage:
Very stable meditation posture for when the world tree drops into your lap :rofl:

imagine an infinitely deep well behind you to prevent falling or at least remaining asleep when it occurs... mindfulness of such a thing? The housebuilder falls asleep and drifts out of position like an OBE snoring a few feet away ...Do try to refrain from laughing when that occurs.

...simple smile asana; Is the asana I return to most of the time; It is not as boring as the anapanasati focus and the mind leaves the brath alone; as the subtle winds will change your expression; it is basically the same focus.

You can also pray to prajnaparamita to aid in your anapanasati mindfulness and use a mala to click over and over if you've satori; not to be confused with the Oni of the mountain of the same name or is it?
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Hi. I progressed a lot during this meantime.
Today I was in the sālā of the monastery and meditated for several minutes in the lotus posture. I didn't use my stopwatch to know the time, but it was between 10 and 20 minutes, probably. A great feat! I used not to bear the lotus for more than few minutes.

A picture I took last month:

Never give up!!!
No pain no gain!!!
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:48 pm Never give up!!!
No pain no gain!!!
Says the orthopedists' association.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

SteRo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm
No pain no gain!!!
Unfortunately there will be pain. It's unavoidable.
Everything has its risks. :console:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:15 pm
SteRo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:58 pm
No pain no gain!!!
Unfortunately there will be pain. It's unavoidable.
Everything has its risks. :console:
Nonsense. There is no need to damage one's joints and/or ligaments.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I have been practicing for the lotus for months and I say that pain is unavoidable, I don't know about you though. I hope you had a great time achieving the lotus with no discomfort.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pm I have been practicing for the lotus for months and I say that pain is unavoidable, I don't know about you though. I hope you had a great time achieving the lotus with no discomfort.
Why should I "achieve the lotus"? :lol:
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I like sleeping posture.. if meditation fails, at least I can sleep right away
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

del
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:48 pm Hi. I progressed a lot during this meantime.
Today I was in the sālā of the monastery and meditated for several minutes in the lotus posture. I didn't use my stopwatch to know the time, but it was between 10 and 20 minutes, probably. A great feat! I used not to bear the lotus for more than few minutes.

A picture I took last month:

Never give up!!!
No pain no gain!!!

Congrats!

Much improved and healthier posture (each knee alignment in relation to thigh & leg) than in previous photos, I think.

Personally, I think knee pain is the single most important one that must always be avoided. And, knee pain must not be endured; it must be worked around.

If there is no knee pain in that posture, then it is awesome.

The two most significant stretches (to be perfected) for me with knee-pain free full-lotus in mind are:

I like these two above (relaxing into these positions is safe) much more than some more popular hip openers like pigeon pose, bound angle forward bend etc. which tend to put strain on the knees (relaxing into these positions is less safe).

My opinion is:
  • Growing full lotus is very beneficial; while moulding it is dangerous.

Again, big congrats!

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:56 pm I hope you had a great time achieving the lotus with no discomfort.
Sounds like superstition.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:45 pm Much improved and healthier posture
There appears no evidence a posture is "healthier", particularly considering any underlying damage cannot be seen.
SteRo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:33 pmNonsense. There is no need to damage one's joints and/or ligaments.
Again, it is somewhat amusing to see SteRo make more sense than the one unable to defend Theravada doctrine. :mrgreen:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:45 pm ...

It may be the only one stretch needed:
  • Benjamin wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 pm From personal experience, the wide angle forward bend is the be-all-end-all for padmasana.

:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa
Johncat

Post by Johncat »

i think the MOST IMPORTANT THING is NOT TO DO ANY PERMANENT DAMAGE TO YOUR BODY. Sure it might be nice to sit in full lotus for 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 mins, but if you have any developing lasting pain - is it worth it? I remember the pain i went through as a novice meditator in Thailand 37 years ago - first kneeling then gradually working down till i could sit with ONE leg crossed over the other. It took a few weeks to undo 27 years of unflexibility - but i did it! I soon realised that the SECRET was a BALANCE of patient endurance, concentration and body pain. My BIGGEST success was NOT sitting in some perfect posture - BUT LASTING ONE WHOLE HOUR in meditation WITHOUT MOVING OR FLINCHING. Once i could do that - and the concentration built to more of a single minded state - i realised I could work through the discomfort and finally it all evaporated. ..perhaps the reason why there is the INTENTION to sit in full lotus might be something to investigate? WHO is it and WHY is there that desire, and is it counter productive to building more sustained concentration?

Certainly one suggestion is to sit cross legged at other times through the day - i sit in half lotus watching TV. Also do some stetching/bending BEFORE starting your meditaion. I think the biggest secret i ever found in sitting was this: If you can deeply relax into the pain/ discomfort to a point of samadhi - then the pain will DISSOLVE COMPLETELY INTO MOMENTARY SENSATIONS. BUT and this is the BIGGEST BUT - IF ANY PAIN LASTS OUTSIDE OF YOUR MEDITATION - and does not dissipate - then you could be asking for trouble with long term ligament or muscle damage.

Story: When i lived at a monastery in Wellington/ New Zealand - and watched all the monks sitting in perfect cross leg postures - then one day when one of them adjusted his robes, I noticed he had NEVER been sitting cross legged! :namaste:
Jhana4

Post by Jhana4 »

Great idea for a thread!

Thanks to everyone who posted resources. I too, would like to get back to sitting on the floor again someday.

I've found that tight buttock muscles also prevents "hip hinging". Hip hinging is bending from your hip joints to roll your pelvis forward enough to get that magically slight protective arch in your lower back when sitting on the floor.

In that regard, I found this video very helpful. I hold each stretch for 3 minutes. I had a physical therapist tell me that is the maximum amount of time to convince your brain to send a "loosen up" signal to a tight muscle. He used to do manual manipulation of my legs/hips in that regard. It worked!

Hope this helps

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.