What is the magic trick to open your hips?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
rhinoceroshorn

What is the magic trick to open your hips?

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Five months doing yoga and still almost the same.

Quoting Mrs Dhamma Chameleon because she is a yoga teacher, so she must have open hips.
Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:34 am 🦐

I have been doing the asanas in this book:

They are here too: http://zenmontpellier.net/eng/lotus/lotuseng.html

Please send help. My hips are killing my meditation.
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Caodemarte

Re: What is the magic trick to open your hips?

Post by Caodemarte »

Look up Kit Laughlin, a flexibility teacher and meditator. He has also put out some excellent free videos on limbering up for meditation and flexibility exercises.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Caodemarte wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:04 pm Look up Kit Laughlin, a flexibility teacher and meditator. He has also put out some excellent free videos on limbering up for meditation and flexibility exercises.
Thanks
So, only this exercise will open my hips? Isn't it a panacea?

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 pm I have been doing the asanas in this book:

Those look like the right asanas. How long do you hold them for? Do you do any other asanas? Might be good to add a series of sun salutations.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:17 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 pm I have been doing the asanas in this book:

Those look like the right asanas. How long do you hold them for? Do you do any other asanas? Might be good to add a series of sun salutations.
2, 3 or 4 minutes at most. It hurts if I do more than that. 🥺
Yes, only those.
I tried to do surya namaskar some time ago but I gave up since I was not able to memorize the chant. :lol:
What is their use?
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 pmPlease send help. My hips are killing my meditation.
Sit on the base of a chair.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 pm Five months doing yoga and still almost the same.
The Buddha did not instruct yoga. Yoga can harm the body & breathing and hinder right samadhi.
Glenn Black, a yoga teacher of nearly four decades, whose devoted clientele includes a number of celebrities and prominent gurus..... Many of his regular clients came to him for bodywork or rehabilitation following yoga injuries.

When yoga teachers come to him for bodywork after suffering major traumas, Black tells them, “Don’t do yoga.”

“They look at me like I’m crazy,” he goes on to say. “And I know if they continue, they won’t be able to take it.”

I asked him about the worst injuries he’d seen. He spoke of well-known yoga teachers doing such basic poses as downward-facing dog, in which the body forms an inverted V, so strenuously that they tore Achilles tendons. “It’s ego,” he said. “The whole point of yoga is to get rid of ego.” He said he had seen some “pretty gruesome hips.” “One of the biggest teachers in America had zero movement in her hip joints,” Black told me. “The sockets had become so degenerated that she had to have hip replacements.” I asked if she still taught. “Oh, yeah,” Black replied. “There are other yoga teachers that have such bad backs they have to lie down to teach. I’d be so embarrassed.”

How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body
Attachments
ligjht on yoga prana-t.png
light-on-yoga.png
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Hello DooDoot
I intend to dwell in forests in the future. I need to be ready to meditate on the floor. :meditate:

Also, I don't do pranayama anymore. Always found it a bit boring.

I talk about yoga but I only mean the asanas. All the theory behind them doesn't interest me.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 pm I intend to dwell in forests in the future. I need to be ready to meditate on the floor.
If the mind & body have samadhi, the inherent relaxation can assist sitting posture. This said, forest dwellers can sit on rocks and logs.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 pmI talk about yoga but I only mean the asanas.
Asana are dangerous. Hip flexor muscles are directly connected to & influence the diaphragm. Mess up those muscles and say goodbye to any real samadhi via breathing.

https://bodygears.com/diaphragmatic-breathing-hip-pain/
http://tigersports.eu/urbanhealthconcep ... breathing/
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Indeed. The jhanic bliss masks the pain but after some time it gets unbearable and disrupts my concentration. :toilet:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

By mere coincidence, i sustained a serious knee injury three weeks before i was due to travel and three months before i discovered meditation. When i discovered meditation, i sat intensively for four months on the floor. Then I did some trekking with my sister in the Himalaya, where my knee collapsed a few times. When i returned for another six months of intense meditation, my leg/knee started to lock up after a long sit, so i started sitting on a chair and doing lots of standing meditation. There was no difference whatsover between sitting on the floor & sitting on a chair or sitting on a pile of cement blocks. Also, meditation can be greatly developed in standing meditation.

After that, returning home to do some study, a certain mercenary monk (now mercenary ex-monk) advised me to attend a certain yoga school to help my leg. I won't go into details about the results but the yoga is a very deceptive thing.

Best wishes. Take care with sīlabbata-parāmāsa. :smile:

rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:43 pm By mere coincidence, i sustained a serious knee injury three weeks before i was due to travel and three months before i discovered meditation. When i discovered meditation, i sat intensively for four months on the floor. Then I did some trekking with my sister in the Himalaya, where my knee collapsed a few times. When i returned for another six months of intense meditation, my leg/knee started to lock up after a long sit, so i started sitting on a chair and doing lots of standing meditation. There was no difference whatsover between sitting on the floor & sitting on a chair or sitting on a pile of cement blocks. Also, meditation can be greatly developed in standing meditation.

After that, returning home to do some study, a certain mercenary monk (now mercenary ex-monk) advised me to attend a certain yoga school to help my leg. I won't go into details about the results but the yoga is a very deceptive thing.

Best wishes. Take care with sīlabbata-parāmāsa. :smile:
Thanks for sharing your story with us. :hug:
Saṃsāra always beats us all at some moment in life to remember us of our destructibility. I have tinnitus in my left ear and it was very hard to deal with it in the beginning. I now hear this friendly buzzing equanimously. What would be the fate of my ear other than destruction?
If there is this chance, I hope you get better. If not, I hope you can deal with it equanimously too. :buddha2:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Coming late to the conversation, with a few general comments -
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 pm Five months doing yoga and still almost the same.
Five months isn't very long to change rigidity which has been building up ever since you were about 5 years old.

Also, working on just one part of the body will put strains on other parts and may mess you up. Much better to work on a balanced set of asanas, although giving a bit of extra attention to the hips is okay. Yin Yoga, which has deep stretching of connective tissue as its focus, might be particularly good for your purposes.

The sun salute is primarily a balanced set of exercises which is a good preparation for longer poses or for meditation.

:namaste:
Kim
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Kim OHara wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:52 pm Coming late to the conversation, with a few general comments -
Five months isn't very long to change rigidity which has been building up ever since you were about 5 years old.

Also, working on just one part of the body will put strains on other parts and may mess you up. Much better to work on a balanced set of asanas, although giving a bit of extra attention to the hips is okay. Yin Yoga, which has deep stretching of connective tissue as its focus, might be particularly good for your purposes.

The sun salute is primarily a balanced set of exercises which is a good preparation for longer poses or for meditation.

:namaste:
Kim
Thank you, Kim!
I just downloaded a book by Mr. Bernie Clark to understand about this Yin Yoga. I hope it helps me. I will include sun salute in my daily exercises, too. :anjali:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

No magic.

Unless there are injuries that have damaged, changed significantly the muscular skeletal structure, the reasons for 'locked' hips, joints, are found by persistent, continuous, correct, practice of meditation. The release as a result of bhanga nana makes the taking of full lotus position immediately easy without any practice of yoga or stretching exercise.
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:07 pm
Caodemarte wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:04 pm Look up Kit Laughlin, a flexibility teacher and meditator. He has also put out some excellent free videos on limbering up for meditation and flexibility exercises.
Thanks
So, only this exercise will open my hips? Isn't it a panacea?
No, it is one exercise that may or may not help. Kit teaches many, many exercises. I am sure there are many, many more. I have found Kit helpful; you may or may not. Try

and https://stretchtherapy.net/
Remember that the body is a system and don’t neglect everything but one part. If you do, that one part may never reach its full development.