What is the magic trick to open your hips?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
DooDoot

Re: What is the magic trick to open your hips?

Post by DooDoot »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:08 pm :buddha2:
You are not a teacher. People here are warning you.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:33 pmThey are here too: http://zenmontpellier.net/eng/lotus/lotuseng.html
I would not recommend this link. You probably do not have the natural extension in your lower spine to perform these postures correctly; particularly Supta Virasana, Upavista Konasana II, Janu Sirsasana & Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimoi Tanasana. Therefore was a time, doing yoga, i could sit in full-lotus. With yoga, anything is possible, but not necessarily good.
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:07 pm
I watched the start of this video and browsed thru it quickly (because it is ridiculous but useful). Notice at the start the man keeps his knees bent and then gently occasionally stretches one leg at a time. He is allowing his lower spine to extend naturally and he is not straining his lower back as occurs to most Westerners when attempting straight legged yoga posters, such as the postures i highlighted above.

I call the video "ridiculous" because posture comes with the development of meditation. As I posted, in my first four months of intense meditation, the posture develops as tranquility develops.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Lots of good advice here. Like DooDoot says, if you can sit on a chair you can meditate. You don't need to open up any body part first.

I second Kim's advice of adding in yin and stretching the rest of the body too. You don't need to do the chant during Surya Namaskar, just focus on doing the pose and breath correctly. Start with two slow ones, then speed up gradually. Aim for 12 in total. Afterwards do your asana sequence, adding in more leg and back asanas. You don't need to do all those hip openers in each sitting. You can also try the sivananda sequence, that is nicely balanced and works the whole body too.

With two full Sivananda sessions and one or two yin sessions a week you should start to notice more flexibility in a few months. Listen to your body, yoga poses can both harm and heal. Find the middle way for you. Good luck!
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I do gentle stretching exercises every morning when I get up, in order to stay supple and also help with a knee which was injured a number of years ago. Additionally, I've been fortunate enough to talk about meditation with teachers from two different traditions (Vajrayana and Theravada) and they said its fine to sit in a straight-backed chair to meditate. Walking meditation can be helpful too.

I don't have any difficulties with tinnitus (which was mentioned here) but have noticed others with that problem recommending the book "The Sound of Silence" by Ajahn Sumedho.

https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/up ... ilence.pdf

I also think its very important to be relaxed in body and mind rather than rigid and stiff when approaching meditation practice.

Good luck with your efforts, Mr horn.

Last edited by Aloka on Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Thanks everyone! :thanks:

I'll probably come back here months later to say if something worked. :soap:
Eyes downcast, not footloose,
senses guarded, with protected mind,
not oozing — not burning — with lust,
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Sutta Nipāta 1.3 - Khaggavisana Sutta
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

I'm already following the scheme Dhamma Chameleon suggested and Yin Yoga that Kim OHara suggested.
Yin Yoga is really effective!!! I learned many things those days and noticed minor changes in my body. I'm very glad!
Thanks again. Sadhu 3x. :meditate:

I'm following this book and highly recommend it.

wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
See, Ānanda! All those conditioned phenomena have passed, ceased, and perished. So impermanent are conditions, so unstable are conditions, so unreliable are conditions. This is quite enough for you to become disillusioned, dispassionate, and freed regarding all conditions.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

:twothumbsup:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 pm I intend to dwell in forests in the future. I need to be ready to meditate on the floor. :meditate:
Don't hestitate to get a pile of some leaves for cushion if you feel like it.
After the meal, when I have returned from the alms round, I enter a grove. I collect some grass or leaves that I find there into a pile and then sit down. Having folded my legs crosswise and straightened my body, I establish mindfulness in front of me.
https://suttacentral.net/an3.63/en/bodhi
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

User1249x wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:43 pm
rhinoceroshorn wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 pm I intend to dwell in forests in the future. I need to be ready to meditate on the floor. :meditate:
Don't hestitate to get a pile of some leaves for cushion if you feel like it.
After the meal, when I have returned from the alms round, I enter a grove. I collect some grass or leaves that I find there into a pile and then sit down. Having folded my legs crosswise and straightened my body, I establish mindfulness in front of me.
https://suttacentral.net/an3.63/en/bodhi
I love reading that. It sounds to simple. And it's simple. It invites you to do the same. It's refreshing reading it again and again and it never gets boring.
On the other hand, you read Budagousa and all you get is a heavy and discouraging text.
I'll never abandon the suttas. :)

If I went to a desert 🏝️ I would bring with me at least 2 copies of the 5 Nikāyas in the case of some gets wet.
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Hi,

Checkout this technique called PNF stretching

If you can get a feeling for how it works, it can be be used within your yoga routine.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
bhooooo

Post by bhooooo »

I tried squatting a while ago and I noticed some benefits. I was following http://placeofpersistence.com/30-30-squ ... do-portal/.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

What is the magic trick to open your hips?
Get pregnant and give birth.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

I was going to suggest great sex and a lot of it, but you beat me to it.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i have been watching a lot of calisthenics, posture and kinesiology videos and anatomy because my back is terrible due to severe scoliosis and surgery
have noticed dramatic improvements in a matter of months, if you would like recommendations i can get some
correct tongue posture see 'best face forward' on youtube for the practice of mewing
and i also recommend squat university on youtube but there are many such like videos and all of it together and just putting forth effort to have comfort and mobility has been a game changer in a sense
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

Finally I can do the lotus without straining very much. Still imperfect but ok!! I'm satisfied with whatever I have!! :soap:

I think yin yoga was what helped most. Also, since October I started to stop sitting on chairs and started to meditate without blankets, almost on "the floor", except that I use a yoga mat and cushions to put them on the same level of the mat.

My alternative to sitting on a chair to study was buying a small table. I recommend it.

That's it. Thanks everyone, especially Kim OHara. :namaste:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17
rhinoceroshorn

Post by rhinoceroshorn »

A better angle!

Now I must work on maintaining the posture for longer periods. :guns:

May someone use my dirty feet as asubha practice. :sage:
wander alone
like a rhinoceros.
Dīgha Nikāya 17