what are the downsides of getting a flu shot

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
salayatananirodha

what are the downsides of getting a flu shot

Post by salayatananirodha »

i started getting the flu shot three years ago since i work with the public but now i'm rethinking it. it can be difficult to pin down non-politically charged facts. i get there are bad arguments against the flu shot but maybe there are some good ones? i think i have a good immune system maybe i am just fortunate or because i practice good hygiene i don't get sick often.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Inedible

Re: what are the downsides of getting a flu shot

Post by Inedible »

Maybe we should limit this to asking for people who have had problems after getting vaccinated. For people like me it is just an opinion either way.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I took the flu shot about 20 years ago and suffered whole year.
So I did not take it since that. But I have people around me who sware on it.
They think the new flu shot are more advanced.
I think if you are old, and with preconditioned may be a good idea.
But I know an old person who took the flu shot and died.
Not sure how he died though.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Get your shots. Avoid the flu or passing on the flu. The odds of a negative reaction are so much less than that that there are no good arguments against it.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 am I took the flu shot about 20 years ago and suffered whole year.
yet you start topics criticising people who are against corona vaccine
salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 am i started getting the flu shot three years ago since i work with the public but now i'm rethinking it. it can be difficult to pin down non-politically charged facts. i get there are bad arguments against the flu shot but maybe there are some good ones? i think i have a good immune system maybe i am just fortunate or because i practice good hygiene i don't get sick often.
well it does not appear to work very well. i have never taken it ever and i rarely get flu. the last time i recall getting flu was 14 years ago because of a very sick neighbour at work in office who returned to work very sick and coughed all over me. see the link
Attachments
Flu vax.png
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:24 am
SarathW wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:03 am I took the flu shot about 20 years ago and suffered whole year.
yet you start topics criticising people who are against corona vaccine
salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 am i started getting the flu shot three years ago since i work with the public but now i'm rethinking it. it can be difficult to pin down non-politically charged facts. i get there are bad arguments against the flu shot but maybe there are some good ones? i think i have a good immune system maybe i am just fortunate or because i practice good hygiene i don't get sick often.
well it does not appear to work very well. i have never taken it ever and i rarely get flu. the last time i recall getting flu was 14 years ago because of a very sick neighbour at work in office who returned to work very sick and coughed all over me. see the link
Hi Paul
Sorry, may be you misunderstood me.
I do not have any concrete for or against anything.
I just like to understand things.
The problem is every thing got a two side.
That is why Buddhism try to avoid two extreams.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

it can be difficult to pin down non-politically charged facts.
Rules of thumb to make it easier: ignore things propagated by conservatives, look at multiple liberal and progressive pages /groups /news sources, and multiple science-promoting pages /groups (such as Science Enthusiasts, Refutations to anti-vaccine memes, etc, etc) along with Wikipedia and RationalWiki to get the most reliable info.

Regarding this - just get your flu shot. Antivax talk is nonsense.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I always have a flu shot every year and have never had any side effects from it, nor have I had 'flu since I started getting the vaccination.

binocular

Post by binocular »

Vaccines contain mercury or other metals to stimulate the response of the immune system, as the vaccine itself (such as the inactivated virus) is not enough to stimulate the response of the immune system to start producing antibodies. It's those metals that are the problem.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Caodemarte wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:38 am Get your shots.
The odds of a negative reaction are so much less than that that there are no good arguments against it.
That's just it: Scientists and politicians look at diseases and medications from the perspective of large populations. For every medication, they have set what is an acceptable percentage of people who can die from the medication or who can get serious side-effects. From the perspective of large populations, this makes sense. But not from the perspective of the actual person.

The problem is that if only 3 % of the tested population got severe negative side effects from the medication, this doesn't mean than an actual person who is about to take said medication has only a 3 % probability of getting those side effects. This is not how to calculate probability for actual people. For an actual person, the probability can only be calculated theoretically, because for an actual person, the empirical data needed to calculate that specific person's odds for getting severe negative side effects does not exist and cannot be obtained. Meaning, it's 50 % that they'll get the severe negative side effects, and 50 % that they won't.

Throwing around those small numbers and saying "the odds are in your favor" is really just a misrepresentation of statistical data obtained from studying large populations, a "scientific" way to, at best, boost people's morale and give them faith, and at worst, a marketing ploy by the pharmaceutical and medical industry.

I'm on principle not against vaccines, I just wish that doctors and their supporters wouldn't treat us like we're total morons.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
binocular

Post by binocular »

greenjuice wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:12 amAntivax talk is nonsense.
Until it's you who gets the negative side effects from the vaccination, and you're faced with the indifference of the medical establishment toward your situation that they caused.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
santa100

Post by santa100 »

salayatananirodha wrote:i started getting the flu shot three years ago since i work with the public but now i'm rethinking it. it can be difficult to pin down non-politically charged facts. i get there are bad arguments against the flu shot but maybe there are some good ones? i think i have a good immune system maybe i am just fortunate or because i practice good hygiene i don't get sick often.
Taking a flu shot should be a no-brainer, especially if you have health insurance, since it's automatically covered under preventive health and you don't have to pay anything out-of-pocket. Life is a gamble anyway, but a smart gambler would know where to place and hedge his bets. By not taking the shot, you bet your entire life squarely on your own immune system; but by taking it, you hedge your bet with some extra help. Sure, there're instances of people experiencing nasty side effects taking the flu shot, but it's like saying just because someone's grandmother developing cancer while she's been doing exercises and eating healthy food all her life, you then should not exercise and eat healthy food!
binocular

Post by binocular »

santa100 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:08 pmSure, there're instances of people experiencing nasty side effects taking the flu shot, but it's like saying just because someone's grandmother developing cancer while she's been doing exercises and eating healthy food all her life, you then should not exercise and eat healthy food!
It's nothing like saying that.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

Until it's you who gets the negative side effects from the vaccination, and you're faced with the indifference of the medical establishment toward your situation that they caused.
1 Anecdotes are not reliable source of data. 2 All medicine has a small chance of some side-effects, but the benefits incomparably outweigh the risks, and that's why they are used as medicine. 3 If you had a bad experience with some medical staff, them ignoring your symptoms when you come for help, or something like that, that has nothing to do anything else besides bad service in that instance.
greenjuice

Post by greenjuice »

Throwing around those small numbers and saying "the odds are in your favor" is really just a misrepresentation of statistical data obtained from studying large populations, a "scientific" way to, at best, boost people's morale and give them faith, and at worst, a marketing ploy by the pharmaceutical and medical industry.
Sounds like you are the one misrepresenting how statistics and medicine work, in order to promote opposition to science and medicine.