what are the downsides of getting a flu shot

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
dharmacorps

Re: what are the downsides of getting a flu shot

Post by dharmacorps »

Caodemarte wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:38 am Get your shots. Avoid the flu or passing on the flu. The odds of a negative reaction are so much less than that that there are no good arguments against it.
Well said. :clap:
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

What this world really needs is some COVID-19 vaccine shots, and pronto. I'm getting really annoyed at this virus. It's killed so many.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i'm not worried about having a reaction to the flu vaccine, i'm more worried about lasting effects there might be, like a pampered immune system that won't fight for me or perhaps a toxic component that will manifest years later
i remain unconvinced either way
covid-19 has been at least overstated even though it is not fake and is a serious and deadly illness
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
thepea

Post by thepea »

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mahabrahma wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:26 pm What this world really needs is some COVID-19 vaccine shots, and pronto. I'm getting really annoyed at this virus. It's killed so many.
And now we have vaccines, and yet some people are coming up with absurd conspiracy theories about them. :rolleye:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Aloka wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:44 am I always have a flu shot every year and have never had any side effects from it, nor have I had 'flu since I started getting the vaccination.
Likewise. Many workplaces here give them free, and I've had flu shots about every year for over 20 years. Since I've lived in Asia, and visited various places in Asia and South America I've had most of the possible shots that are reasonably long lasting including TB, Hepatitis A and B, Cholera, Tetanus, yellow fever with no problems.

The flu strains mutate quite fast, which is why there are yearly vaccines, which I understand contain a couple of the recent mutations. However, since they don't mutate too fast, it becomes much more effective when administered regularly, and you develop antibodies to the different strains.

Flu (like Covid) is obviously more dangerous for old people, but I've known relatively young people who were hospitalised after developing serious pneumonia.

In NZ, the Covid precautions meant that we had very little Flu last (Southern) winter. Presumably there was also an effect on other contagious diseases but I'm not sure of the statistics.

:heart:
Mike