addicted to energy drinks

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
salayatananirodha

addicted to energy drinks

Post by salayatananirodha »

i have had a long-standing addiction to caffeine and energy drinks
even tho i can and have quit for months at a time i'm mentally addicted to it. i enjoy the rush, although i can hardly find balance between 'holy sh!t i had way too much' and just enough to feel disappointed
today i had some monster maxx, like less than half a can, but it freaked me out. i also eat one meal a day before noon. last year and the year before there were times when i had to leave work because i did too much and couldn't shake the feeling of nervousness and panic. i'm kind of afraid how this will turn out eventually. i have a better outlook than i did before, owing to my practice, but i don't know if i'll eventually die from this or what.
it's the only legal drug to do besides alcohol and tobacco, both of which i've given up. this could have gone in personal experiences but felt it better to share here.
i've been able to offset some of the feelings by drinking alkaline or electrolyte water and, of course, a good plant-based meal. i think i'm in outstanding health in some respects, but i could be fooling myself also.
any other tips ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Pondera

Re: addicted to energy drinks

Post by Pondera »

You could substitute your caffeine addiction with Green Tea.

That’s a bit like telling a heroin addict that he can use morphine as an alternative. 🧐
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Meggo

Post by Meggo »

Maybe you are hyperactive or inattentive. Have you tried to check it at a psychologist? Maybe you are just self medicating a problem that could be dealt with in a better way?
lostitude

Post by lostitude »

Meggo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 am Maybe you are hyperactive or inattentive. Have you tried to check it at a psychologist? Maybe you are just self medicating a problem that could be dealt with in a better way?
I couldn’t agree more. There are trained practitioners who have seen and helped thousands of people just like you. It’s a shame not to try them out if you can.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:34 am any other tips ??
the means to the end is one thing

the end is something else

you're addicted to the end, not the means
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

Determine how many cans of energy drink you consume on average per day...for example, say its ten cans. Then limit yourself to nine cans every day for a week. Then eight cans every day the following week and so on.
“You only lose what you cling to”
salayatananirodha

Meggo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:16 am Maybe you are hyperactive or inattentive. Have you tried to check it at a psychologist? Maybe you are just self medicating a problem that could be dealt with in a better way?
i kinda want to see a counselor but it doesn't seem convenient. my depression has been spilling out into my interactions with others. someone just told me they didn't want to be my facebook friend because they are also struggling with mental illness and didn't think it would be a good pairing. i wish people would stop asking me how i'm doing. i told myself today i'm not allowed to be depressed because the people around me don't want to hear about it or can't help me, and it burdens them. i'll be quite alright; i just don't want to end up like my friend dylanj. even though i reckon he is a sotāpanna in a heaven realm or a fortunate human birth his death was a tragedy and broke many hearts. my mom would fall to pieces without me, possibly. i've tried to instruct her in dhamma. it would make me very happy if i could give her just enough to do the rest on her own. i think if i succeeded in that then i would be much less bothered and anxious. yall might not see this as a worthwhile goal but the alternative for me is ill will. my mother has done very much for me and i owe her. i also owe dylanj for giving me what i needed to convert and do mental purification. he asked me to be friendly and evangelical. i haven't done nearly that. i've been trying to avoid everyone, just speaking in a way as to dismiss people. i'm very burdened and bothered but unless i can constructively lay this out to someone i intend to keep it to myself

i am interested in lots of drugs but i don't get into doing illegal things so much anymore. i can live and function just fine without these drinks but i don't want to
cappuccino wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 pm
salayatananirodha wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:34 am any other tips ??
the means to the end is one thing

what
Determine how many cans of energy drink you consume on average per day...for example, say its ten cans. Then limit yourself to nine cans every day for a week. Then eight cans every day the following week and so on.
i really only do less than 100 mg now, i'm too afraid to do more, also it was said by a distant cousin that my father had a heart condition but this is something i've never confirmed

i'm just very dissatisfied with my life :shrug:
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:34 am
cappuccino wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:58 pm the means to the end is one thing

what
a means to an end
noun
a thing that is not valued or important in itself but is useful in achieving an aim.
The_common_zero

Post by The_common_zero »

Why do you need so much energy?
salayatananirodha

i dont, and i dont think thats where energy comes from. they have b vitamins but i dont think theyre in a suitable proportion. felt better when i took b vitamins separately. its just recreational. i think of them more as alert drinks -- food is where you get energy, yeah?
it also seems like my memory lately is fading very quickly, but also recently it had seemed like my memory was improving.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:07 am it also seems like my memory lately is fading very quickly, but also recently it had seemed like my memory was improving.
Memory depends on virtue
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Some years ago, I drank energy drinks for a month or two, two a day at most, before I started experiencing heart palpitations and short bouts of irregular heart rhythm. I quickly stopped drinking them. I've never had an irregular heart rhythm from anything else in my life, including copious amounts of coffee. I'd stick with the natural stuff like coffee and tea which have health benefits of their own.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Mkoll wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:50 am Some years ago, I drank energy drinks for a month or two, two a day at most, before I started experiencing heart palpitations and short bouts of irregular heart rhythm. I quickly stopped drinking them. I've never had an irregular heart rhythm from anything else in my life, including copious amounts of coffee. I'd stick with the natural stuff like coffee and tea which have health benefits of their own.
Other than caffeine what is in energy drinks different to coffee and tea that can cause heart problems? I used to wonder why I couldn’t drive past a Costa’s and not stop to get a coffee. I was never that into caffeine before I started drinking Costa’s.

I looked into it and found that there is 370mg of caffeine in the grande cappuccino’s I drink compared to around 80mg in a Redbull. Why does Redbull get such a bad press but Costa’s does not? An average cup of coffee contains around 50mg of caffeine and the FDA recommends a maximum of 400mg per day, with no more than 200mg recommended per sitting.

Going by their recommendations you could safely drink 5 cans of Redbull per day! If you suffer palpitations from an intake within the recommended caffeine intake range then there could be a genuine heart condition related to the issue.
“Householder, you have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick, but you shouldn’t rest content with the thought, ‘We have provided the community of monks with robes, alms food, lodgings, & medicinal requisites for the sick.’ So you should train yourself, ‘Let’s periodically enter & remain in seclusion & rapture.’ That’s how you should train yourself.”
AN 5.176- Rapture
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

They're full of chems.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

DarrenM wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:57 am
Mkoll wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:50 am Some years ago, I drank energy drinks for a month or two, two a day at most, before I started experiencing heart palpitations and short bouts of irregular heart rhythm. I quickly stopped drinking them. I've never had an irregular heart rhythm from anything else in my life, including copious amounts of coffee. I'd stick with the natural stuff like coffee and tea which have health benefits of their own.
Other than caffeine what is in energy drinks different to coffee and tea that can cause heart problems? I used to wonder why I couldn’t drive past a Costa’s and not stop to get a coffee. I was never that into caffeine before I started drinking Costa’s.

I looked into it and found that there is 370mg of caffeine in the grande cappuccino’s I drink compared to around 80mg in a Redbull. Why does Redbull get such a bad press but Costa’s does not? An average cup of coffee contains around 50mg of caffeine and the FDA recommends a maximum of 400mg per day, with no more than 200mg recommended per sitting.

Going by their recommendations you could safely drink 5 cans of Redbull per day! If you suffer palpitations from an intake within the recommended caffeine intake range then there could be a genuine heart condition related to the issue.
I'm not sure what was in the energy drinks I was drinking that caused a problem for me.

And to be clear, from what I know now the arrhythmia I had was probably occasional PVCs which aren't something to be worried about. Especially since I only experienced them a few times after drinking energy drinks and I never experienced them any time before then or since I started avoiding energy drinks.