What miraculous healing (or any interesting miracle) have you witnessed, or heard from credible source?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
frank k

Re: What miraculous healing (or any interesting miracle) have you witnessed, or heard from credible source?

Post by frank k »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:35 pm Here is another one, with a hat tip to Moses. This occurred in the 1930s or thereabouts. Several monks were on a pilgrimage to Mt Kailash, but could not find a ford across a swollen river. They ran out of food and were desperate to get across.
Similar to the 2017 Abhayagiri fire incident I posted above, except it's water being held back instead of a wall of fire. Very cool! Did you know any those monks, or connected to their group in any way?
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
confusedlayman

Re: What miraculous healing (or any interesting miracle) have you witnessed, or heard from credible source?

Post by confusedlayman »

when I read sutta, I understand something which makes me a better person gradually... my mind is always filled with joy most of time when I read sutta and when I validate ... this is miraculous healing for my defiled mind to change in to pure mind
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

frank k wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:26 pm
Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:35 pm Here is another one, with a hat tip to Moses. This occurred in the 1930s or thereabouts. Several monks were on a pilgrimage to Mt Kailash, but could not find a ford across a swollen river. They ran out of food and were desperate to get across.
Similar to the 2017 Abhayagiri fire incident I posted above, except it's water being held back instead of a wall of fire. Very cool! Did you know any those monks, or connected to their group in any way?
No connection, just respect for the Lama who wrote his Memoir.

A footnote about the Abhayagiri fire stoppage. Their land was donated to them by my Master Hsuan Hua who was close to the founder of the monastery. Master Hua had many Siddhis and used them on occasion. His body died in 1995, so 'hard to believe' that he stopped the fire, but not for me. Of course the monks of Abhayagiri may have been chanting the Book of Protection too.
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Listening to this monk talk about his father's near death experience made me extremely grateful...

@51:17-59:15

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
frank k

Post by frank k »

Kusala wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:22 am Listening to this monk talk about his father's near death experience made me extremely grateful...

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

I'll outline summarize a few interesting points from that 8 minute section. (Rough summary from memory, not fact checked, and I can't always understand his British accent).

AA (Ajahn Achalo): gets a phone call telling him his dad has a stroke and has about 5 hours to live. You can hear AA choking up telling this story, and he mentions how all of his 20 years or so of meditation of samadhi and sati still could not stop the tears, letting him know he still has quite an attachment to his parents.

AA decides to a do a puja (chanting ceremony and dedication of merit to his father to aid in a favorable rebirth). He puts a picture of his mom and dad on the altar.

Sometime into the puja he somehow gets an idea he should call Ajahn Nan on his cell phone to ask for advice.

AA calls Ajahn Nan, and Ajahn Nan makes a grunt expressing strong displeasure that AA's dad is near death. Ajahn Nun (known for samadhi and metta skills) says he's send metta to AA's dad.

Not long after, AA gets a call from the hospital. Dad miraculously survived. Doctor saw the brain scans of the hemorraghing and couldn't believe dad survived, says he never saw anything like this before. Dad and mom are still both alive and well today.

AA says he believes what happened is Ajahn Nan not only sent metta, but also used his samadhi to help channel and make sure AA's puja energy was transmitted directly to his dying father.

Some other cool little incidentals, you should listen to the 8 min. talk yourself, I'll mention a couple of thigs.

AA's family are virtuous people, but Atheist. AA has been trying for 15 years to get his mom to see Ajahn Liem and other of his teachers.

During AA's dad's near death experience, his mom saw in her mind's eye an asian monk. Afterward dad's miraculous recovery, mom asked AA to send her some pictures over email of Thai monks, she wanted to know who it was. She had never met the monk she saw, and after AA sent her images of Ajahn Nan (the monk who was sending metta to the dad), she confirmed it was him.

Mom decided she wanted to meet Ajahn Liem after all. AA laughs saying, it only took 15 years of trying. Someone in the audience mentions, even the great chief disciple sariputta couldn't convert his mom to Buddhism until the Great Brahma appeared before them to pay respects to Sariputta.
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Cannot find biography about Ajahn Nan or an image - is there another spelling?
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Here is Ajahn Nyanadhammo talking about a fellow monk who was able to recall 17 lifetimes...

@ 1:09:38 -1:13:00

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
befriend

Post by befriend »

I used to suffer from ANTs automatic negative thinking, I went to a monastery and when I came back they've been gone ever since! :buddha1: :anjali:
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
arkaprava

Post by arkaprava »

frank k wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:00 pm
Kusala wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:22 am Listening to this monk talk about his father's near death experience made me extremely grateful...

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

I'll outline summarize a few interesting points from that 8 minute section. (Rough summary from memory, not fact checked, and I can't always understand his British accent).

AA (Ajahn Achalo): gets a phone call telling him his dad has a stroke and has about 5 hours to live. You can hear AA choking up telling this story, and he mentions how all of his 20 years or so of meditation of samadhi and sati still could not stop the tears, letting him know he still has quite an attachment to his parents.

AA decides to a do a puja (chanting ceremony and dedication of merit to his father to aid in a favorable rebirth). He puts a picture of his mom and dad on the altar.

Sometime into the puja he somehow gets an idea he should call Ajahn Nan on his cell phone to ask for advice.

AA calls Ajahn Nan, and Ajahn Nan makes a grunt expressing strong displeasure that AA's dad is near death. Ajahn Nun (known for samadhi and metta skills) says he's send metta to AA's dad.

Not long after, AA gets a call from the hospital. Dad miraculously survived. Doctor saw the brain scans of the hemorraghing and couldn't believe dad survived, says he never saw anything like this before. Dad and mom are still both alive and well today.

AA says he believes what happened is Ajahn Nan not only sent metta, but also used his samadhi to help channel and make sure AA's puja energy was transmitted directly to his dying father.

Some other cool little incidentals, you should listen to the 8 min. talk yourself, I'll mention a couple of thigs.

AA's family are virtuous people, but Atheist. AA has been trying for 15 years to get his mom to see Ajahn Liem and other of his teachers.

During AA's dad's near death experience, his mom saw in her mind's eye an asian monk. Afterward dad's miraculous recovery, mom asked AA to send her some pictures over email of Thai monks, she wanted to know who it was. She had never met the monk she saw, and after AA sent her images of Ajahn Nan (the monk who was sending metta to the dad), she confirmed it was him.

Mom decided she wanted to meet Ajahn Liem after all. AA laughs saying, it only took 15 years of trying. Someone in the audience mentions, even the great chief disciple sariputta couldn't convert his mom to Buddhism until the Great Brahma appeared before them to pay respects to Sariputta.
The monk's name is actually Ajahn Anan. One of the renowned direct Thai disciples of Ajahn Chah along with Ajahn Dtun and Ajahn Piak
frank k

Post by frank k »

arkaprava wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 pm ...
The monk's name is actually Ajahn Anan. One of the renowned direct Thai disciples of Ajahn Chah along with Ajahn Dtun and Ajahn Piak
Thanks. Do you know if Ajahn Anan or Ajahn Piak have English books?

(I have read all the known Eng. works of Ajahn Dtun)
arkaprava

Post by arkaprava »

frank k wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:45 pm
arkaprava wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:04 pm ...
Thanks. Do you know if Ajahn Anan or Ajahn Piak have English books?

(I have read all the known Eng. works of Ajahn Dtun)
Ajahn Anan has a lot of books here : https://watmarpjan.org/en/audio-books/books/. Could not find any books of Ajahn Piak. You can find a book about Ajahn Gunha, who is apparently Ajahn Chah;s cousin.