covid vaccine: yea or nay?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.

will you get the covid vaccine?

yes, with conditions
25%
no, with conditions
8%
yes, unconditionally
35%
no, unconditionally
31%

Total votes: 48

salayatananirodha

covid vaccine: yea or nay?

Post by salayatananirodha »

i signed up to get the covid vaccine at work, not even sure if its pfizer or moderna, but probably moderna.
am i making the right decision? i've been sitting on the fence, with my main motivation being to reduce the likelihood that i will spread covid to my mom, whom i live with. it's still said to be unknown whether or not the current vaccines accomplish that to any significant degree.
i'm also not terribly concerned with any side effects; i am generally a very healthy individual.
i had thought of waiting until a better vaccine comes out, but i was told i had to sign up by tomorrow or they would not be bringing a dose for me when whoever comes to vaccinate us.
what do you think?
please dont turn this into a flame war; i just want answers
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
coffeendonuts

Re: covid vaccine: yea or nay?

Post by coffeendonuts »

This is a conversation to be had with your doctor, not here. But if you still feel compelled to have random people on the internet give you advise (because we've all outsourced our thinking to the internet these days): absolutely take it.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

:goodpost:
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Since I chose "conditionally no", I guess I should explain the conditions etc. underlying the no.

For myself, I'm not any more concerned about catching COVID-19 than something like the flu, and I'm a long way from being in the "high risk" category. I'm also wary of the vaccines due to the "rushed" nature of their development, reports of Bell's Palsy and other potential side-effects, plus recent talk of mutated strains which may not be prevented by a vaccine.

If we are twenty or so years down the track and COVID is still a thing, I'll re-assess the situation then.

Until then and getting in before any SJW screams that "that's selfish! (blah, blah, blah...)", I'll happily donate my dose to any "at risk" person who wants it.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
coffeendonuts

Post by coffeendonuts »

I should have qualified my statement by saying that getting a vaccine should be cleared by a doctor due to everyone's unique medical circumstances.

Retro...I feel these comparisons to the flu carry a level of dishonesty about them. But the comparison is so politically charged that it would threaten the integrity of this thread to go more in depth. One can just do a search online about it.

Vaccines aren't just about ourselves. Getting everyone on board is important to develop herd immunity. Since we train in understanding interdependence, and if the science of its effectiveness and safety is sound, we might have a little more obligation to take it.

Here's an answer to that common objection: I'm Young and Healthy. Should I Get a Flu Shot? - The Atlantic
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

And here come the totalitarians... :roll:

How about mind your own business, respect people's autonomy and respect the topic, as specified by the OP?

Cheers. :toast:

Metta,
Paul.
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 am i signed up to get the covid vaccine... with my main motivation being to reduce the likelihood that i will spread covid to my mom, whom i live with.
the above is a valid consideration or selfless sacrifice on your behalf. this said, have you been working during 2020? if so, if you have not given it to your mom in the past, what makes you think you will give it to her in the future? regardless, as i said, it is selfless of you to display cautiousness for the sake of your mother
salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 am it's still said to be unknown whether or not the current vaccines accomplish that to any significant degree.
indeed. my limited impression (from the last time i researched, about 2 months ago) is they are not really "vaccines", in that they can "sterilize" the virus. my initial early stage impression is the so-called 'vaccines' probably will not help those individuals who are vulnerable because the vaccines will not sterilize the world from Covid-19
salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 am i'm also not terribly concerned with any side effects; i am generally a very healthy individual.
you can only wait & see, it seems, per video:

salayatananirodha wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:54 am i had thought of waiting until a better vaccine comes out, but i was told i had to sign up by tomorrow or they would not be bringing a dose for me when whoever comes to vaccinate us. what do you think?
per the above

i have a vulnerable mother although i do not live near her nor i am able to visit her unless i incur great expense. at least with my mother, i doubt my taking the vaccine would help because Covid-19 will not keep my mother isolated in the house

my mother likes her shopping & socializing and she is as stubborn as a mule :smile:
coffeendonuts wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:56 am This is a conversation to be had with your doctor, not here.
most doctors are merely professional drug dealers. also, there is no medical consensus among doctors. therefore, it appears no doctor is an authority on this matter
Last edited by DooDoot on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
coffeendonuts

Post by coffeendonuts »

This quickly turned really weird...

salayatananirodha, I urge you to take this up with your doctor, not here.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

coffeendonuts wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:54 am This quickly turned really weird...

yes, this post appeared weird

it generally takes 10 or so years to approve a vaccine. obviously, a GP knows close to nothing
Last edited by DooDoot on Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Personally, I don't trust Moderna, a recent startup with a checkered record, who's now come up with a vaccine on a rushed timetable they hold no liability for. But they have heaps of money and good scientists, so potentially they could've done it. I just don't like the risks.

Pfizer is a large company with a more impressive track record (though not the best ethics). Both Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are based on a new tech, but I would trust Pfizer over Moderna based on the ability and track record.

The new tech sounds harmless enough, in theory at least.

What I don't particularly like with Pfizer is the odds that the vaccine in the course of its journey to the clinic, had never lost -70C containment. And that would render it useless.

I will personally take the vaccine, when it becomes available here, largely because without it, I expect not to be able to travel to visit my parents in Australia. It's likely to be Pfizer.
_/|\_
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dan74 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:55 amThe new tech sounds harmless enough, in theory at least.
I have to admit I have dropped the ball in recent weeks. One professor I follow said the mRNA vaccines look OK and the former head of Pfizer Research in the UK (i follow) I have not heard comment on it (even though I have asked various journalists and tried to contact him to get him to comment on it). he just posted:
This is important. Under international law, it is illegal to force people to accept experimental medical procedures. New vaccines might be fantastic, but this cannot be guaranteed. If you’re not high risk from SARS-COV-2 infection, don’t accept it or be pressured. Just say no.
i might spend some time catching up over the next few days. as Buddhists, our personal duty as Buddhists is to engage in yoniso manasikara rather than take refuge in the corporate mass-media that receives the majority of its advertising revenue in the USA from Big Pharma.

https://hpv-vaccine-side-effects.com/co ... world-map/

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i want to know what buddhists think.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

'yes with conditions' which also includes 'no with conditions'. Several aspects: 1. collective immunity depends of 66% vaccination rate, so there must be 66% of the population vaccinated, 2. will side effects become known?, 3. shortage of vacccine
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SteRo wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:00 am ....
Israel already has the most per capital vaccinated, which might be a positive.... WHO keeps changing the definitions/rules
Attachments
WHO redefine herd immunity.jpg
Last edited by DooDoot on Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I will take it eventually. which won't be for ages, because they'll do all the at-risk people first. They haven't purchased enough to inoculate the whole population of New Zealand.

But to be honest, with the madness in the world this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to stop Covid AND also made everyone sterile. To solve the world overpopulation problem, without needing to kill anyone. A conspiracy theory.
Some hidden genetically engineered function, which destroys eggs or sperm production.
I don't think it's likely, but I wouldn't be surprised.

But like I say, I will take it.

Does Buddhism and Dhamma influence my decision? Not much.