Oil rig worker, skin problem.

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
lojong1

Oil rig worker, skin problem.

Post by lojong1 »

A friend used to work on oil rig, 10-15 years ago, exposed to oil-based mud products, drilling fluid, bacteria from farm animals...
Ever since, he's had severe skin problems like rash on armpits & neck, dark crusts on feet like 'tree-man' almost, & terrible smell.
For $30,000 he agreed to never again seek compensation from his employer.
High strength cortisol cream worked briefly before it was made unavailable.
He's all but given up on a cure, and quality medical care seems here out of the question, but damn it's sad...he hasn't been able to socialize or work at all for at least 10 years.
Anyone have experience with anything related?
confusedlayman

Re: Oil rig worker, skin problem.

Post by confusedlayman »

lojong1 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:57 am A friend used to work on oil rig, 10-15 years ago, exposed to oil-based mud products, drilling fluid, bacteria from farm animals...
Ever since, he's had severe skin problems like rash on armpits & neck, dark crusts on feet like 'tree-man' almost, & terrible smell.
For $30,000 he agreed to never again seek compensation from his employer.
High strength cortisol cream worked briefly before it was made unavailable.
He's all but given up on a cure, and quality medical care seems here out of the question, but damn it's sad...he hasn't been able to socialize or work at all for at least 10 years.
Anyone have experience with anything related?
seeing impermanence and non satisfaction of body, he should ordain and strive for liberation.. no one will discriminate him in monastery..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pm seeing impermanence and non satisfaction of body, he should ordain and strive for liberation.. no one will discriminate him in monastery..
simsapa

Post by simsapa »

Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

My sympathies to your friend. I have a skin disorder, nowhere near as debilitating as what his sounds, and know what an effect it can have on one's life. Has he considered alternative medicine? Or is he more looking for ways to cope with it mentally?

Steroids for skin conditions can also lead to worsening symptoms and unintended consequences so maybe it's good he's not using those anymore.
coconut

Post by coconut »

Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 pm My sympathies to your friend. I have a skin disorder, nowhere near as debilitating as what his sounds, and know what an effect it can have on one's life. Has he considered alternative medicine? Or is he more looking for ways to cope with it mentally?

Steroids for skin conditions can also lead to worsening symptoms and unintended consequences so maybe it's good he's not using those anymore.
Steroids in general are meant for short term use and can wreck havoc on your immune system in the long run.
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:56 pmseeing impermanence and non satisfaction of body, he should ordain and strive for liberation.. no one will discriminate him in monastery..
No way he'd trade Jerry Springer for Buddha.
Though I do wonder how a monastery, or Goenka course, would handle such a presence. This is far from a simple visual anomaly.
Dhamma Chameleon wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:50 pmHas he considered alternative medicine? Or is he more looking for ways to cope with it mentally?
Since his mental health team started injecting his ass many years ago, not much matters. Bedspring cutting him while he sleeps, meh, use the couch. Fridge broke, meh, get takeout.
I'm looking for ways to cope with it. It's still contagious (hopefully not through the lungs)! It seems the cream has some effect, but we didn't know about the potential dangers there, thanks.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

i dont know the answer, but a whole food plant based diet is generally superior for health http://nutritionfacts.org
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
lojong1

Post by lojong1 »

Change in diet could only help. Dude's farrr from healthy in so many ways.
I was thinking someone might have had personal experience of oil rig skin horror stories. The phenomenon is widespread among rig workers, but suspiciously hard to find online.