I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

A place to discuss health and fitness, healthy diets. A fit body makes for a fit mind.
Ionbuddy

Re: I cant lose weight. How can I lose weight?

Post by Ionbuddy »

Inedible wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:48 am Cite some sources. Otherwise it just ends up with us going back and forth. For the record you are wrong.
You're the one claiming that breathing has a direct impact on metabolism. So you have the burden of proof on your hands, not me. By what mechanism can simple breathing increase metabolism? Huh? You're speaking complete nonsense! Next you're going to tell me you're pranic feeder! No one should listen to this crap.

I'm starting to get a headache. I think I'm done.
I still have defilements.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The book I suggested talked about all of that. It is the most complete single source I have ever read on the impact of breathing.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Inedible wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:12 am The book I suggested talked about all of that. It is the most complete single source I have ever read on the impact of breathing.

But I have a much better book than yours. Mine is true!
:smile:

:coffee:
Kim
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

weight loss as an analogy for abandoning lust...

one sure way to lose weight is to stop eating.

consider what happens when the intake of food is halted.

when a need for food arises, the stored up nutriments in fat start to be consumed, the bones are leached, various organs start to be consumed until the body dies.

similarly the tendency to delight in pleasant feelings can be seen as feeding.

abandoning the tendency to delight in pleasant feelings is akin to fasting.

the very same process starts where the old tendencies to delight in pleasant feelings (kamma resultants) rise and pass away without being re-acted to. this is akin to the natural consumption of stored nutriments as a result of not eating.

in time the tendencies are all consumed. this is enlightenment.

so, intellectually the answer is simple. stop delighting in pleasant feelings. however, in practice (which is the proof of the pudding, (not any kind of mental gymnastics. the mind chatter is also to be abandoned)) this is not easy. this is where the teachings of the Buddha in the transmitted canons are helpful.

it's of paramount importance not to neglect the silas because by diligently attending to them there is less nutriment consumption in the form of sense indulgence. Patient continuous diligent practice

in the Chachakka Sutta the path is plainly described : mindfulness of feelings are the point at which stepping off the wheel of becoming is possible.

the way this is done is to, as the Buddha clearly explains in the Satipatthana Sutta, train to continually note the present moments eye ear nose tongue body mind feelings in a non-judgemental way, like someone looking in a bag of mixed grains and just notes, this is wheat, this is rice, and so on. recognising the truth of the moment. a thought has arisen, it passes...just a 'this' knowing.

in this way the feeding stops and the abandoning starts.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadhamma/
https://seeingthroughthenet.net/books/
http://buddhadust.net/backmatter/indexe ... ta_toc.htm
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm